News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 09, 2011, 04:32:04 AM
Quote from: Waffle Iron on November 09, 2011, 11:03:16 PM
Just finished Good Omens.

That's a great book.

Have you read The Thief of Time. Its another Pratchett book focusing heavily on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (although, unlike Good Omens, Pratchett wrote it by himself and its set in Discworld)

I've read the entire Discworld series. :)
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Luna

Quote from: Waffle Iron on December 09, 2011, 11:00:22 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 09, 2011, 04:32:04 AM
Quote from: Waffle Iron on November 09, 2011, 11:03:16 PM
Just finished Good Omens.

That's a great book.

Have you read The Thief of Time. Its another Pratchett book focusing heavily on the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (although, unlike Good Omens, Pratchett wrote it by himself and its set in Discworld)

I've read the entire Discworld series. :)

Fantastic series.  It's in my purse.  (I LOVE my kindle...)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Lenin McCarthy

De nasjonale strateger by Rune Slagstad. A political-cultural history of Norway from 1814 to the 1990s. My grandfather gave it to me as a Christmas present when I was about thirteen, I read two pages and then put it down for four years.

Triple Zero

Thief of Time is my favourite Discworld novel, but it's also one of the last ones in the series I read, I think I read all of them up to The Last Hero, which comes right after that, I don't recognize having read any of the later titles.

Unlike many people here, I actually didn't enjoy the Vimes stories that much (like Night Watch), but that might also have been the mindset + much younger me, as I read them many years ago. Always preferred Rincewind and the wizards (I really like Pratchett's take on magic, it's so ... tangible in his stories) and the "isolated" stories that are just about some part of the world with recurring characters only playing a minor role, if any, such as Pyramids and Small Gods (two of my other favourites).

I did like one of the very early ones, where the City Watch battled the dragon and they messed with that "one in a million chance" thing :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 09, 2011, 02:36:08 PM
Thief of Time is my favourite Discworld novel, but it's also one of the last ones in the series I read, I think I read all of them up to The Last Hero, which comes right after that, I don't recognize having read any of the later titles.

Unlike many people here, I actually didn't enjoy the Vimes stories that much (like Night Watch), but that might also have been the mindset + much younger me, as I read them many years ago. Always preferred Rincewind and the wizards (I really like Pratchett's take on magic, it's so ... tangible in his stories) and the "isolated" stories that are just about some part of the world with recurring characters only playing a minor role, if any, such as Pyramids and Small Gods (two of my other favourites).

I did like one of the very early ones, where the City Watch battled the dragon and they messed with that "one in a million chance" thing :)

Vimes is one of my favorite characters in the series, actually. The best Discworld novels, in my not very humble opinion, are Going Postal and Men At Arms.
And re: the dragon. I find Pratchett's quote on that book absolutely hilarious: Pu in one LOUSY dragon, and they call you a Fantasy writer!
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Placid Dingo

Dream Psychology - Sigmund Freud

Surprisingly, it's all to do with sex.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Thief of Time also has the advantage of dealing with blatantly Discordian/SubGenius themes. Its all chaos and pseudo-zen-like statements, and yetis, and time-control.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Supergods demonstrates that Grant Morrison is actually literate, and not just pretending. It's not nearly as batshit crazy as you might think, but it's also not much of a straightforward history of superhero comics. It's about superheroes the same way that Cosmic Trigger is about UFOs. Totally worth the $20.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Juana

Blood and Rage: a Cultural History of Terrorism by Michael Burleigh, and American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Freeky

Ricewind is my favorite recurring character, though I do like the Vimes stories equally much as the Rincewind ones.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Science me, babby on December 12, 2011, 09:55:12 PM

Ricewind is my favorite recurring character, though I do like the Vimes stories equally much as the Rincewind ones.

Blarg.  Vimes is amazing, as is Death, etc, but Rincewind just isn't funny for some reason.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just started "The Epicure's Lament" and I really like it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 12, 2011, 09:58:20 PM

Blarg.  Vimes is amazing, as is Death, etc, but Rincewind just isn't funny for some reason.

Your face is blargh.

Triple Zero

Blarg.  Vimes is amazing, as is Death, etc, but Rincewind just isn't funny for some reason.

Oh of course DEATH!! Been so long since I read them and I was racking my brain "Rincewind's pretty good but there was another recurring character I liked even better ...". I take it back, DEATH is my favourite character, Rincewind's mostly funny because of the way Pratchett describes magic and the places and situations RIncewind finds himself in (I don't like him so much as a character as the stuff that happens around him, the character's pretty annoying in fact when he really gets the spotlight).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 12, 2011, 10:40:34 PM

Oh of course DEATH!! Been so long since I read them and I was racking my brain "Rincewind's pretty good but there was another recurring character I liked even better ...". I take it back, DEATH is my favourite character, Rincewind's mostly funny because of the way Pratchett describes magic and the places and situations RIncewind finds himself in (I don't like him so much as a character as the stuff that happens around him, the character's pretty annoying in fact when he really gets the spotlight).

Your face is annoying.