News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I'm really liking Moist Von Lipwig.  And Susan Sto Helit.

Scribbly

My favourite is Tiffany Aching.

This might partly be because I grew up in a tiny little village in the middle of nowhere, and her stories hit that small village vibe much better than the other Witches stories, IMO. Plus the Wee Free Men are fantastic.  :D
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

LMNO

Shit.  I forgot about Granny Weatherwax.  She's awesome.

Scribbly

I recently dug out my old videos of the Wyrd Sisters cartoon.

The woman they got to do Granny Weatherwax's voice is perfect.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Hoser McRhizzy

Reading Discord's Apple by Carrie Vaughn.  It's nudge-nudge clever, the writing is decent and it makes the hour ride every morning on public transit fly.  I've caught myself smiling IN PUBLIC at this thing, and it's my second time reading it.

... completely off-topic, but if you were wanting to get a <10$ gift referencing eris mythology stuff for a mainstream-inclined someone and you know the principia might turn them way the fuck off, this book would not go awry.  Main character reads like the main character in Pattern Recognition (aimless and driven, always thinking, not hateable).  Also, if they liked American Gods, this'd go over wonderfully.

What have I reduced your thread to?  Terrible, terrible...  :lol:
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on December 13, 2011, 02:20:08 PM

Have you seen any of the Mob Film Company live-action Discworld films? They're really good, (not counting the ill advised decision to cut the Temple of Bel-Shamharoth scene from Colour of Magic in favor of higher production values and more thorough exploration in the inherently weaker Wyrmburg scene)
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Scribbly

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 15, 2011, 06:09:24 AM
Quote from: Demolition_Squid on December 13, 2011, 02:20:08 PM

Have you seen any of the Mob Film Company live-action Discworld films? They're really good, (not counting the ill advised decision to cut the Temple of Bel-Shamharoth scene from Colour of Magic in favor of higher production values and more thorough exploration in the inherently weaker Wyrmburg scene)

I actually disliked most of the live-action films, though I have seen them all. I enjoyed Going Postal, but for the most part I felt like they had to cut too much, and some of the casting choices were questionable at best. I'm generally not a fan of adaptations of books, though, so take that how you will.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

getting back on topic,
I'm currently rereading "The Real Festivus" by Seinfeld writer Daniel O'Keefe Jr.

Its a very intriguing read. Apparently Festivus was largely based on a tradition in O'Keefe's family that mutated out of his parents' anniversary celebrations.

Assuming this is true, I this has, I recently realized, some very interesting implications. According to the book, O'Keefe's parents got married in 1962, which would mean that Festivus actually predates Kwanzaa by three years, and refute the only claim that Kwanzaa has to supposedly greater legitimacy than Festivus.

EDIT: I just looked at the price listed for this book in that amazon link earlier in this post, and HOLY SHIT! I've gotta start taking better care of my copy! $30-$350!? WTF!?

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 16, 2011, 04:53:29 AM
getting back on topic,
I'm currently rereading "The Real Festivus" by Seinfeld writer Daniel O'Keefe Jr.

Its a very intriguing read. Apparently Festivus was largely based on a tradition in O'Keefe's family that mutated out of his parents' anniversary celebrations.

Assuming this is true, I this has, I recently realized, some very interesting implications. According to the book, O'Keefe's parents got married in 1962, which would mean that Festivus actually predates Kwanzaa by three years, and refute the only claim that Kwanzaa has to supposedly greater legitimacy than Festivus.

Check your reasoning... that assumes that they commenced the proto-Festivus anniversary celebrations on their first anniversary in 1963, which may or may not be true.

Not that I think it matters at all, I just wanted to check the logic there. Maybe the book has details that indicate that proto-Festivus was celebrated on their first anniversary.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Nigel on December 16, 2011, 05:02:33 AM
getting back on topic,

Check your reasoning... that assumes that they commenced the proto-Festivus anniversary celebrations on their first anniversary in 1963, which may or may not be true.

Not that I think it matters at all, I just wanted to check the logic there. Maybe the book has details that indicate that proto-Festivus was celebrated on their first anniversary.

Good catch. I just looked back through the book to check, and it seems that didn't begin to turn into anything approximating its eventual form until their fourth anniversary.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 16, 2011, 05:12:21 AM
Quote from: Nigel on December 16, 2011, 05:02:33 AM
getting back on topic,

Good catch. I just looked back through the book to check, and it seems that didn't begin to turn into anything approximating its eventual form until their fourth anniversary.

Interesting to know... and still, that means that as a holiday it's pretty much contemporary with Kwanzaa.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

I don't suppose anyone has come across a digital copy of The Place of Dead roads or The Western Lands?

I've searched and yet to find anything.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Rumckle

I just finished reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson, it is a one of the best novels I've read in a while, and I would say that anyone who likes physics, philosophy and mathematics would enjoy it, as it is pretty heavy on that stuff. It also reminded me how awesome geometry is.

I just started reading Them by Jon Ronson, after reading some people mentioning it here, it is both hilarious and slightly disturbing.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cain

Wait until you get to the final chapter, where Ronson and Alex Jones infiltrate Bohemian Grove.

Alex is slightly....excitable.