News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Pope Skidoo

- The Arthurian Legend (1162 pages! )
- Antonin Artaud - L'ombilic des Limbes.

''The truth is that this world is false, & that whose who live in it have another one in their pocket, wich they use to carry this one & not to suffer from this one''Antonin Artaud
''Today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning: I felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me'' (Charles Baudelaire, Intimate Journals)

''Poetic Terrorism-art can also be created for public places: poems scrawled in courthouse lavatories, small fetishes abandoned in parks & restaurants...'' H.Bey

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 17, 2018, 11:21:33 PM
TUC?

The Unholy Consult, seventh and final book in Bakker's The Second Apocalypse series. It has... an ending. It definitely fucking ends.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on August 18, 2018, 03:41:04 AM
TUC?

The Unholy Consult, seventh and final book in Bakker's The Second Apocalypse series. It has... an ending. It definitely fucking ends.

Everything is properly fucked, then?
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Should probably mention that I finished reading Peter Coffin's Custom Reality and You a few weeks back. I'm gonna go ahead and recommend it generally, although it goes pretty far-out in a lot of places.

It will come off as very reminiscent of the BIP, but viewed specifically through a political lens. The gist of it is that neoliberal capitalism (a shorthand for whatever fucked up oligarchy of corporations and puppet states we have running the world is) has found lots of ways to extract value from people, and one of the most important ways is via what we here would recognize as the BIP.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 18, 2018, 03:43:12 AM
TUC?

Fucked on the ontological level.

It's the biggest middle finger to traditional epic fantasy that I have ever experienced. I thought it ruled, but I am a bit of a literary masochist.

Cramulus

That Peter Coffin book sounds interesting. I really enjoyed the Coffin talks you linked me to. he has the right melange of commentary-about-culture while not coming off like some preachy beardo sitting on a mountain judging everybody.

Speaking of Melange, I'm finally reading Dune.

it fuckin pwns

started off slow, but I'm about halfway through and I'm loving it

Faust

We have always been at war with Arrakis. The first book was epic and had so many of the awesome sci-fi concepts that are used in so many things since.

I hate recommending films after people read books but "Jodorowsky's Dune" is an amazing documentary on what might have been ""Dali as the emperor", H.R Giger and Moebius doing the art design, Pink Floyd doing the score. I want to be in the timeline where it got made and off of this one.

I liked the sequel books also, (God emperor was the weirdest and my favorite). I wasn't a fan of the books by his son and X-files guy though.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Ziegejunge

"Jodorowsky's Dune" is pure joy from start to finish, IMHO.

Cramulus

Loved Jodorowsky's Dune! (enjoyed Lynch's dune too)

I do not intend to read any more of the series. I mean it might be great, but I read fiction sparingly and really don't have time for a 10k page saga.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on August 21, 2018, 02:08:49 PM
That Peter Coffin book sounds interesting. I really enjoyed the Coffin talks you linked me to. he has the right melange of commentary-about-culture while not coming off like some preachy beardo sitting on a mountain judging everybody.

Speaking of Melange, I'm finally reading Dune.

it fuckin pwns

started off slow, but I'm about halfway through and I'm loving it

I'll lend you Coffin's book next time we see each other. The one biggest drawback I see in it is that it's Extremely Online. A lot of the references and examples pulled require a fair amount of awareness of the state of the Internet in 2017-2018. So like, PD people would get it but many others I know wouldn't.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on August 18, 2018, 03:47:00 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 18, 2018, 03:43:12 AM
TUC?

Fucked on the ontological level.

It's the biggest middle finger to traditional epic fantasy that I have ever experienced. I thought it ruled, but I am a bit of a literary masochist.

I didn't expect flowers and unicorns and what not, but fuck. It isn't so much the ending as how it ends, as a book. Just sort of "go go go go stop."
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

I'll admit padding it out with the appendices wasn't so cool.  I was expecting maybe another couple of chapters.  Maybe a segue to Zeum discussing how to counter the threat of the No-God, since they're basically the only kingdom worth a damn left standing.  Meppa maybe showing up.

Doktor Howl

Light reading:

Just finished Alice and then The Red Queen by Alice Liddel. 

Good reading if you want your Wonderland with 50% extra murder and crimes against humanity.
Molon Lube