News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

THEM: adventures with extremists

Jon Ronson
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Jasper

Mangrove

Just finished: The White Brother by Michael Juste

Arrived in the mail this afternoon: What you should know about the Golden Dawn (Regardie) and Rudolf Steiner by Gary Lachman.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Jasper

I just checked out a copy of Java Demystified, so I at least feel like I have a grasp of what java programmers are talking about.

Cainad (dec.)

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

Any help in identifying and describing bollocks in this book would be greatly appreciated. My friend who practically worships this book needs mindfucking.

Doktor Loki

Tucker Max, "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell."

One of  the funniest books I've ever read.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Triple Zero

Quote from: Dr. Felix Mackay on February 22, 2008, 02:51:42 AMI just checked out a copy of Java Demystified, so I at least feel like I have a grasp of what java programmers are talking about.

if i can give you a tip, i'm assuming that you're not really familiar with computer programming yet? the tip is, learn Python instead of Java :)

when you start learning to program, the most important bit is to develop and practice the "coders mindset", which is just a certain way of looking at problems, so that you can easily transcribe them into computer code. it is probably best compared with writing down a cooking recipe, only in much, much smaller steps because computers are generally more dumb than cooks.

once you got that down, the language you're writing in kind of becomes irrelevant. it's easy enough to pick up a new computer language, they're more like dialects of eachother anyway, and also when compared to natural languages, have a ridiculously small vocabulary to learn (about 50-100 keywords for your average computer language).
the selection criterium for using Java instead of Python or PHP or whatever, should optimally be made as a "right tool for the right job" choice, not because "everybody is talking about java".

the reason why i'm suggesting Python is because it is easy to learn and extremely powerful. i learned to program in BASIC myself, which is also very easy, but not extremely powerful, and to be honest, kind of outdated in current times.
another thing is that it's a reasonably new programming language (1991), and in the case of programming languages, newer usually means better, because it allows for more elegant, easy, understandable and clean programming.

on the other hand, Java is fine too. it's not very hard, and also extremely powerful, and a good general all-purpose solid language (which explains its popularity). the only problem, which can be especially annoying if you're just starting out, in Python your program can say print "hello world" and that's one line, and it's a complete program. you can start coding right away :) in Java, you first need a class definition, a main module, and 10-15 lines of code later, you're ready to say System.out.println("hello world").
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Ok, I'm reading

Elixir of Life, by Balzac

The Public orations of Demosthenes

Grimm's Fairy Tales

The Prince, Macchiavelli

The Writings Of Thomas Paine

The oddessey

The Iliad

The Sun Tsu

Dracula, Bram Stoker

Tractacus Logico

and a lot of other ones.

Cain

Reading Trickster Makes This World for the MLA course.

Still reading The Tragedy Of Great Power Politics by Mearsheimer.

Am about to finish Dying to Kill by Mia Bloom.

And I'll be starting Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army by Jeremy Scahill very soon.

Jasper

Quote from: triple zero on February 24, 2008, 10:45:40 PM
Quote from: Dr. Felix Mackay on February 22, 2008, 02:51:42 AMI just checked out a copy of Java Demystified, so I at least feel like I have a grasp of what java programmers are talking about.

if i can give you a tip, i'm assuming that you're not really familiar with computer programming yet? the tip is, learn Python instead of Java :)

when you start learning to program, the most important bit is to develop and practice the "coders mindset", which is just a certain way of looking at problems, so that you can easily transcribe them into computer code. it is probably best compared with writing down a cooking recipe, only in much, much smaller steps because computers are generally more dumb than cooks.

once you got that down, the language you're writing in kind of becomes irrelevant. it's easy enough to pick up a new computer language, they're more like dialects of eachother anyway, and also when compared to natural languages, have a ridiculously small vocabulary to learn (about 50-100 keywords for your average computer language).
the selection criterium for using Java instead of Python or PHP or whatever, should optimally be made as a "right tool for the right job" choice, not because "everybody is talking about java".

the reason why i'm suggesting Python is because it is easy to learn and extremely powerful. i learned to program in BASIC myself, which is also very easy, but not extremely powerful, and to be honest, kind of outdated in current times.
another thing is that it's a reasonably new programming language (1991), and in the case of programming languages, newer usually means better, because it allows for more elegant, easy, understandable and clean programming.

on the other hand, Java is fine too. it's not very hard, and also extremely powerful, and a good general all-purpose solid language (which explains its popularity). the only problem, which can be especially annoying if you're just starting out, in Python your program can say print "hello world" and that's one line, and it's a complete program. you can start coding right away :) in Java, you first need a class definition, a main module, and 10-15 lines of code later, you're ready to say System.out.println("hello world").

Cool, I'll look into Python.  I do plan to learn many languages though, I'm really just waiting on getting my own computer to do it with since right now it's tug-o-war for a shitty laptop.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Trickster Makes the World
Pranks 2
On Virtue Ethics
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Reeducation

Satan Speaks! By Anton LaVey.
Fun to read.  :)
I am very calm

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, I want to get that! I am working on too many books right now.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

GlompChomp

Culture Warrior by Bill O'reilly. For the lulz of course. He should have called the book "1,000 reasons why the ACLU suck".
widdly scuds

I stretch my penis in a saltwater toffee maker every Tuesday and Saturday.

Reeducation

Just finished the Satan Speaks! Next one: Devils Notebook by Anton LaVey.
I am very calm