News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Have acquired all but a few of the books on this list for my kindle:

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843/your-picks-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-books

Going to tidy 'em up, load them up, and start going through the ones I haven't read, yet.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Juana

Which, so far, is not nearly as boring as Dr. Cave Guy claimed it would be.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Both the Oxford and Cambridge Medieval Europe histories are surprisingly well written and engaging.

If you want another well written, if somewhat more focused book on medieval history, I highly recommend A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous Fourteenth Century by Barbara Tuchman, of the Guns of August fame.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cain on September 06, 2011, 04:23:46 PM
Got my copy of The Long Twentieth Century: Money, Power and the Origins of our Times by Giovanni Arrighi in the post today.

Ippy and Pickles might find this of interest in particular.  As I understand it, his basic thesis is that "financialization" of the economy is not an end-stage or further stage of capitalist development, but a reoccuring event throughout history, which tends to undermine the pre-eminent economic powers and create a new system whereby challengers depose that power and become a new hegemon.

Though there is more to it than just that.  As Arrighi says in the introduction, the book is essentially about the two interdependent master processes of the modern era - the creation of a national state system and the formation of a worldwide capitalist system".

So, should be fun.  Arrighi's prose is quite readable as well, which always helps.

It just so happens I was holding out for a good recommendation before starting another book.  That sounds like a good one.  Thanks for the tip Cain.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

You might find he's a little Marxist influenced in places...not massively so, most historical sociologists like Arrighi do borrow from Marx, but they also borrow from practically everyone else.  His actual theorizing and history seems to divert from any sort of easily definable political position, as a history book ultimately should.

Plus, it's interesting.

Also just got Nir Rosen's Aftermath: Following the bloodshed of America's Wars in the Muslim World.

And fuck me it's huge.  It's over 550 pages long, and that's the hardback version.  Rosen's got a very good rep as a journalist, thoroughly deserved, so I'm hoping this will live up to expectations.

Iason Ouabache

Recently read American Juggalo (Kindle Single). It is a not-quite-gonzo story by a journalist who went to The Gathering in southern Illinois and somehow survived. Could have been better but he had some interesting insights into their culture.  The publisher of that, N+1, also has a book called What Was the Hipster?: A Sociological Investigation which I'm dying to read sometime soon.

Also read The Game from Where I Stand by Doug Glanville. I'm sure it wouldn't interest anyone here but it's good as far as baseball books go.

Also read The Stranger by Camus. I'm not ready to discuss it yet.  :|
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

the last yatto

Dmz vol 1 - brian wood
Chaos monkey - jaq d hawkins
Thus spoke zarathustra - nietzsche
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Eater of Clowns

I went to the library to pick up the much hailed The Name of the Wind and right next to it in the new fiction section I saw a copy of A Dance with Dragons!

I grabbed it immediately and had a chat with the librarian about how excited I was and how shocked that it was there.  The wait list was 50 people long last time I checked it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

the last yatto

DMZ reminds me a bit of children of men, with its phishes and government forces battling it in in the not so distant future except this one is set in america and instead of filthy hippies as the rebels its heavily influenced from the  tea party... and this one includes a neutral third party whos just trying to survive in the middle of a war zone...

the author  is cool enough to give you issue one for free http://www.brianwood.com/downloads/dmz_1.pdf
as well as a cool promo http://www.brianwood.com/downloads/Take_a_Break_DMZ_Magazine.pdf
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

dontblameyoko

BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

El Sjaako

I'm currently struggling through Quantum Psychology by RAW, but I found I had enough criticism that I'm annotating it. So now the margins are filled with notes like "ost scolars translate the first line of the Tao te Ching differenly" and "Qualifiers can be added in normal English too".

I've also got The Meaning of Liff by Douglas N. Adams on the side, for when I get enough of Wilson.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Still reading "In the Temple of My Familiar" and it's hurting my soul

damn you, Alice Walker!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Placid Dingo

Finished A Room With a View. Just brilliant. It's an older work but it's still quite subversive (in attitudes to religion, if not to women). The story is engaging, the characters well drawn and believable. Would reccomend.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Luna

Oooh, guilty pleasures...

Just got my filthy little hands on a near-complete run of the Destroyer series.

Remo Williams.

They're just...  incredibly awful.

I am going to rot my brain right out of my skull. 
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Don Coyote

The Goblin Corps

It has such wonderful lines.

"Why don't you come and try to kill us the hard way, and I'll shove you up that horse's ass and feed him beans"

"You really want to know Craeosh? I had to relieve myself. That enough detail for you, or did you want shape, color and texture?"