News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

It's one of the greatest Norwegian literary works in history. I place Bjørneboe (his entire body of work) next to Knut Hamsun and Henrik Ibsen.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Recently finished Revolution and Tradition, a collection of lectures at either York University or New York University (the book attributes each lecture to York University, but the introduction consistently says New York University) in 1970. Crazy mindfuck for me, because it feels like it comes out of a parallel universe; clearly all these people come from some academic tradition, but it's nothing I'm familiar with.

Moved onto Norstrilia by Cordwainer Smith. Aside from the introduction claiming that this is the only science fiction novel by Cordwainer Smith (it's not; I own a first edition of The Journey of Three Worlds to prove it), it's amusing, and it holds my attention better than most Cordwainer Smith short fiction has -- I was able to focus on The Rediscovery of Man only during lectures on data structures from a math teacher.

I recently finished Cosmic Trigger II and III, and Right Where You Are Sitting Now. The latter two Cosmic Trigger books are mostly a repeat of ideas covered in other books (along with a lot of shit about P2 and the Priory of Sion which appear to have been copied word-for-word into his conspiracy encyclopedia), but they have some fresh biographical information (and a lot of biographical information I've only heard in Robert Anton Wilson Explains Everything), so they are worth getting if you are interested in the man moreso than his ideas. He also talks at length about Orson Welles (or maybe I hallucinated that...), which led me to watch some films for what really shouldn't be the first time.

I'll probably be done with Norstrilia tomorrow, at which point I'll have to pick something else off the to-read stack. Currently it contains Liars and Outliers by Bruce Schneier, Life, Inc. by Douglas Rushkoff, Motherless Brooklyn and Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem, Empire of the Sun and Crash by J. G. Ballard. Alternately, I could finish A Canticle for Leibowitz, which I stopped at the second or third chapter a week ago, V or Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, both of which I stopped halfway-through more than a year ago, or The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, which I stopped halfway-through in December. Any recommendations, from that group?

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Oysters Rockefeller

Gravitys Rainbow has such a cool concept(s), but is entirely too difficult to read. I quit about half way through about three or so years ago.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Finished Norstrilia. It didn't feel "kiddy" like a lot of the other Cordwainer Smith stuff.

Also finished Motherless Brooklyn, which wasn't at all what I thought it was.

Working through Liars and Outliers now.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

dontblameyoko

today finished A Wizard of Earthsea
tomorrow will (re)start The Princess and the Goblin
BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

Oysters Rockefeller

In the middle of Jose Saramgo's "Death With Interruptions"
About the UK not having any more deaths, and how immortality would be shit. Also death is a nervous human woman within the context of the book. Its pretty good, but his style has this weird flow that makes it entirely too difficult to read at times.

Also reading this: http://nedroid.com/2010/01/relax-dont-do-it/
Excellent webcomic.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Lenin McCarthy

Quote from: Waffle Iron on March 01, 2012, 06:00:51 PM
Now reading: The History of Bestiality by Jens Bjørneboe.

Read that at about the same time as you. Great stuff.

Currently reading The Family, the book Cain recommended in the Kony thread not long ago.

hirley0

(Read 101007 times)7:40-7:42PM pdt ordia > Literate Chaotic  4got read part SoRRy

Juana

The Borgias by Ivan Cloulas

edited for html fail
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just picked up where I left off reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" because for some reason it seems to have a pressing and ever-increasing relevancy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Arim the Backwards One

Reading 'The End of Mr. Y' at the moment, and it's pretty interesting. Even though the plot seems pretty cliché at the first glance.
Trying Too Hard since 1997
---
"If you can't laugh at the darkness, that's when the darkness takes over." - Amanda Fucking Palmer

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I've been reading The Sirius Mystery, and thinking to myself that Mr. Temple is not doing a very good job of supporting his argument -- most of which depends upon multilingual puns in dead languages. Finally, he ducked his head into Sumerian, with which I have a passing knowledge. In the offending passage, he took a section of the enumerated names of Marduk, claimed that nobody knew what "Nibiru" means, then claimed that because the count is 51 instead of 50, "Nibiru" should be merged with the next entry, "lord of the lands". Of course, the following entry is "Enki", which (as anyone who has looked at the ETCSL, read Sitchin, or glanced over the Simon Necronomicon, or read anything by Samuel Noah Kramer knows) means "lord of the earth". As anyone with a passing knowledge of Sumerian knows, "nibiru" is translated as "crossing place". Mr. Temple then goes on to claim that "nibiru" is a loan word from Egyptian "neb-heru", which he claims means "the ram of Horus", and uses this to "prove" that the legend of the golden fleece has its roots in Egyptian sun-worship. At this point, I said "fuck Robert K. G. Temple and fuck his broken etymologies" and stopped reading.

dontblameyoko

Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on March 21, 2012, 04:47:30 PM
thinking to myself that Mr. Temple is not doing a very good job of supporting his argument -- most of which depends upon multilingual puns in dead languages.

sounds a little like Graves' The White Goddess
BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

EK WAFFLR

As soon as I finish The History of Bestiality, I'm going to read one of my favorites. Bill Bryson. I haven't read DOwn Under yet, but I'm sure it'll be a hoot and a holler.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I've been working my way through The ARRL Handbook, 71st ed., and trying to teach myself electronics from it. (I can handle digital electronics, because that's straightforward, but analog circuits and I have never gotten along.) The math in it is making my head spin (not because the math itself is difficult -- the most complicated thing in the equations thus far was a square root -- but because the chapter is written with the assumption that it is intended as a review rather than an introduction, as though plotting impedance on a polar coordinate plane and taking the imaginary term as radius was an entirely natural and intuitive thing to do...) Maybe I should supplement this with other materials...