News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Cainad started me on it, so he's totally to blame.

Cain

Also have fun spending the next 8 years figuring out if Kelhus is mankind's saviour or mankind's doom.

Elder Iptuous

Just finished cryptonomicon.  I love stephenson, but his endings are always so unsatisfying.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Cain on July 07, 2017, 06:55:21 PM
Also have fun spending the next 8 years figuring out if Kelhus is mankind's saviour or mankind's doom.

So far (just finished The Thousandfold Thought) it seems like he's either a well-meaning guy who nevertheless sees a need to put human civilization through the grinder in order to save it, a la Leto Jr.; a person who has succumbed to the temptation of using his overblown intellect and conditioning for nefarious ends; are actually a god who is just beyond such petty distinctions. Stealing Esmenet was a dick move, though. No way around that, really.

Bakker has an annoying tendency to make his characters behave in a completely absurd way in what seems to be nothing more than a way to force the reader into feeling suspense. Luckily the episodes haven't lasted very long so far (with the exception of Kehlus...). The world building is pretty awesome, and the strong threads of philosophy and metaphysics are pretty neat also.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

With regards to Kellhus, he ceases to be a POV character in the next series, so discerning the intent behind his actions is so much harder. 

However, the Thousandfold Thought definitely revealed one correct thing: the gods have a role to play in what happens next.  They cannot see the No-God and so cannot understand the threat.  In fact, the only threat they see is Kellhus...

tyrannosaurus vex

Trying to convince my band to change our name to Mog-Pharau

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on July 23, 2017, 01:54:03 AM
Trying to convince my band to change our name to Mog-Pharau

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I once generated a Minecraft map using "Mog-Pharau" as the seed string. It generated a giant ocean, with nothing except a half-dozen small mushroom-covered islands scattered about in the emptiness.

Bakker scores points in my fantasy trope book for totally nailing the "Blessed With Suck" trope for the Nonmen. Immortality blows ASS, and the full extent of how much ass it blows gets loads of detail in The Great Ordeal.

Cain

Ishterebinth is actually more horrifying than anything else I think we've seen in the series, including the topos on the Mengedda Plains.

It's not as horrifying as the climax of The Unholy Consult, though...

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

I'm still making my way through Phillip K. Dick's Exegesis while on the shitter. I wish I'd started reading it with a highlighter, because every once in a while his devolution into rambling insanity takes a pit-stop at philosophical profundity, and the chances of me starting over after getting to the halfway point of a hardback that's two-inches thick are pretty nil.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

maphdet

"The Alchemist"
also- I now have to wear glasses to read..
wtf is this shite about
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

tyrannosaurus vex

I'm taking a break from R. Scott Bakker, because it's intense and depressing.

So, like an idiot, I started Song of Ice and Fire, which is even more depressing.

I'm done with Game of Thrones and just starting A Clash of Kings. Also, I refuse to watch the TV adaptation until the books are done. Christ, this series should have been called "Everything Gets Worse".

Cain

You haven't even gotten to the most depressing part yet: reading A Feast For Crows and finding out, after going through 11 million pages, that almost nothing has happened.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on August 20, 2017, 10:14:05 AM
You haven't even gotten to the most depressing part yet: reading A Feast For Crows and finding out, after going through 11 million pages, that almost nothing has happened.

That sounds like the REAL spoiler

Cain

No, but this is the real spoiler:

Joffrey is such a cunt.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on August 20, 2017, 06:19:50 PM
No, but this is the real spoiler:

Joffrey is such a cunt.

:lulz: i remember starting the first book on audiobook.  IIRC it was like listening to the book of genesis blohard stormborn begat greenapple highstep begat...

I also remember thinking, nope...can't do this shit right now lol