News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Currently reading The Grand Dark by Richard Kadrey.

I am about 1/3rd of the way through.  Unlike most of his novels, this is not a book that is meant to be funny on any level.  It reads more like his Butcher Bird than his Sandman Slim or Coop novels.  What it really reminds me of, flavor-wise, is his early Metrophage and maybe Warren Ellis's Electrograd.

It's slow going, but not a bad read overall.
Molon Lube

altered

The title of that book alone screams to me that I must read it.

So, you know, maybe I will.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Finished The Grand Dark by Khadrey.  It is a tale of fantasy dystopia in a somewhat distorted version of today.  The tech is different, not absent, but it is definitely not science fiction.

The first 200 pages are slow, he's building a world that is all too horribly familiar.  Then the next 200 pages are berserk.  The story is completed, but with an obvious out for a sequel.

Cain would really enjoy this book.  LMNO would probably not really enjoy this book.

Overall, I give it an 8.

By comparison, I give most Black Mirror episodes a 6.
Molon Lube

Cain

I will give it a look. I found the Amazon Kindle page for it

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 07, 2019, 06:52:41 PM
Finished The Grand Dark by Khadrey.  It is a tale of fantasy dystopia in a somewhat distorted version of today.  The tech is different, not absent, but it is definitely not science fiction.

The first 200 pages are slow, he's building a world that is all too horribly familiar.  Then the next 200 pages are berserk.  The story is completed, but with an obvious out for a sequel.

Cain would really enjoy this book.  LMNO would probably not really enjoy this book.

Overall, I give it an 8.

I just inserted it into my budget for next paycheck.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on November 07, 2019, 09:20:36 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 07, 2019, 06:52:41 PM

Overall, I give it an 8.

I just inserted it into my budget for next paycheck.

Oh, YOU are gonna LOVE this, for totally different reasons.
Molon Lube

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 04, 2019, 03:06:04 PM

I am about 1/3rd of the way through.  Unlike most of his novels, this is not a book that is meant to be funny on any level.  It reads more like his Butcher Bird than his Sandman Slim or Coop novels.  What it really reminds me of, flavor-wise, is his early Metrophage and maybe Warren Ellis's Electrograd.

Hey Dok, what is your take on the Sandman Slim series? I got the first book a while back for reasons I can't remember but just haven't picked it up yet.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 10, 2019, 03:27:22 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 04, 2019, 03:06:04 PM

Hey Dok, what is your take on the Sandman Slim series? I got the first book a while back for reasons I can't remember but just haven't picked it up yet.

Jenn and I are fiends for it.  I know Richard Khadrey on Facebook, and I have told him on more than one occasion "STOP POSTING HERE AND WRITE MORE SLIM."

It's that good.

So is everything else he's written.
Molon Lube

Bu🤠ns

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bu☆ns on November 11, 2019, 02:26:50 AM
:lulz: Damn lolll..point taken

The Coop series is also good (The Everything Box, The Wrong Dead Guy).  Funny, not very dark.

Sandman Slim:  Dark and often funny.

The Grand Dark:  Dark as fuck and not even slightly funny.

Butcher Bird:  Somewhat dark, no attempt to be funny.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Just finished reading the newest David Drake "Lt Leary" novel, To Clear Away the Shadows.

1.  It was like watching paint dry.  There was no conflict and therefore no resolution.
2.  Leary wasn't in it.  He robbed his own previous book for characters (read, the same exact characters with different names.).
3.  This is two books past Death's Bright Day, and he still hasn't finished that story, which ended as a cliff hanger.  Three years ago.

I give this book one star out of five.

Molon Lube

KristineSi

We are reading Coup d'Etat for Idiots by Not A HIMEOBS Contractor.

altered

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on November 16, 2019, 05:56:23 PM
HIMEOBS is slacking off these days.

That one had a legit looking email addie.
Molon Lube

Cain