News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Also, the acid-trip homage to Joyce's "Anna Belle Liffey" chapter can pretty much be skimmed over, too.

Triple Zero

which is that?

also, the bit about the guy shooting the last eagle can be skipped (it's the very last page)

and the book seems really complicated at first and confuses you a lot, thinking you might need to take notes and re-read certain parts, but that's really not the case, it tries to confuse you on purpose and in the end there's not really much you'll miss if you just keep pushing the reading onwards. and it turns out only one guy is actually another guy in real (except of course that All Is One)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Cramulus

well I reread Illuminatus a few months ago and I still love the whole fuckin' book.

When I first read it at age 17 it blew my brain apart and opened the floodgates for all sorts of cool stuff in my life.

Less brain-blowing now (at 25), but I caught a lot more of the references.

LMNO

Hey, I've still got my thumb-worn copy kicking around.

But I tend to re-read Quantum Psychology more often.

Cain

I keep meaning to get that.

Also, Prometheus Rising pwns almost everything else RAW has done.

LMNO

The two books mentioned above are really the only RAW books you need.  The rest are just commentary.

That One Guy

Quote from: Cain on May 07, 2007, 06:19:16 PM
I keep meaning to get that.

Also, Prometheus Rising pwns almost everything else RAW has done.

Troof. If you only read ONE RAW book, make it Prometheus Rising. Illuminatus! is fun, Schroedinger's Cat trilogy is entertaining, the Cosmic Trigger stuff can be amusing, but Prometheus Rising ... pure quality.

People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

bubz_the_troll

I'll make my own assessments about the book.

Jasper

That'll be my next Wilson book. 

Bubz, don't take our word.  See for yourself that Illuminatus! was a raw deal. ;)

bubz_the_troll

Triple Zero

read illuminatus once, blew my brain
second time, less so, but it was funny
third time i really got enough of it halfway through and stopped.

prometheus rising .. i read it a few months ago when Cram (or someone) posted the pdf:

1) i STILL haven't found my 20 eurocent coin in the first exercise i had been imagining so VIVIDLY (in fact i lost 2 euros the evening after i read that exercise)
2) really liked the first chapter, nonetheless.
3) it's probably that i read most of the other ideas from other sources already (deoxy.org etc) that i wasn't that impressed with the rest of the book.

this, incidentally was the reason why illuminatus was such a mindfuck to me, all the stuff i had encountered and been looking for in my life, all the weird stuff, even up to discordianism and much much more, came together in illuminatus. it was sorta like time reversed, i can imagine someone reading illuminatus and start looking up all those things out of interest. to me it was the other way around. i just stumbled on all these weird fringe philosophy crazy shit myself, didn't even know a large part of it was written by RAW, and suddenly it came together in illuminatus. that was the weirdest summer ever.

4) i'd like you guys thoughts about the thing he says somewhere further in the book, about that mass religious experience that 100.000 people saw and was some sort of 5th or 6th circuit mass illumination that was supposedly well-documented and explain by carl sagan as "100.000 people hallucinating the same thing" .. if it is true what he says, it's quite amazing. what exactly happened?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

cyberus

Quote from: triple zero on May 08, 2007, 09:31:53 AM
prometheus rising .. i read it a few months ago when Cram (or someone) posted the pdf:

Link, anyone?

EDIT:

http://www.rawilsonfans.com/downloads/prometheus.pdf

Thanks, 000.
The bun-sellers or cake-makers were in nothing inclinable to their request; but,which was worse,did injure them most outrageously,called them prattling gabblers,lickorous gluttons,freckled bittors,mangy rascals,shite-a-bed scoundrels,drunken roysters,sly knaves,drowsy loiterers,slapsauce fellows,slabberdegullion druggels,lubberly louts,cozening foxes,ruffian rogues,paltry customers,sycophant-varlets,drawlatch hoydens,flouting milksops,jeering companions,staring clowns,forlorn snakes,ninny lobcocks,scurvy sneaksbies,fondling fops,base loons,saucy coxcombs,idle lusks,scoffing braggarts,noddy meacocks,blockish grutnols,doddipol-joltheads,jobbernol goosecaps,foolish loggerheads,flutch calf-lollies,grouthead gnat-snappers,lob-dotterels,gaping changelings,codshead loobies,woodcock slangams,ninny-hammer flycatchers,noddypeak simpletons,turdy gut,shitten shepherds,and other suchlike defamatory epithets; saying further,that it was not for them to eat of these dainty cakes...

Triple Zero

Cain

It was also in my psychology rar download, in the Library.