News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: triple zero on May 08, 2007, 09:31:53 AM
4) i'd like you guys thoughts about the thing he says somewhere further in the book, about that mass religious experience that 100.000 people saw and was some sort of 5th or 6th circuit mass illumination that was supposedly well-documented and explain by carl sagan as "100.000 people hallucinating the same thing" .. if it is true what he says, it's quite amazing. what exactly happened?

No one knows.  That's the point.

Cain

LMNO

Either that, or something much like it.

Personally, I think RAW's point was, "the EXPERTS can't possibly know everything that goes on in this world."

Cain

True, but that also doesn't mean we should take the word of a sexually frustrated bigot who believes he is the representative of an imaginary Jewish superhero that lives in the sky and his adoring cultists as to the events, either.

LMNO

Unless that person is ME, of course.

[edit: of course not.  I don't think he was saying that, either.  "I dunno" seems to be the closest he gets.]

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on May 08, 2007, 01:33:31 PM
Quote from: triple zero on May 08, 2007, 09:31:53 AM4) i'd like you guys thoughts about the thing he says somewhere further in the book, about that mass religious experience that 100.000 people saw and was some sort of 5th or 6th circuit mass illumination that was supposedly well-documented and explain by carl sagan as "100.000 people hallucinating the same thing" .. if it is true what he says, it's quite amazing. what exactly happened?

No one knows.  That's the point.

no, but what sorta happened?

was there really 100.000 people believing something with bright lights and ecstacy and stuff?

when was this again?

he keeps on going on about how well-documented this event is, but i never heard of it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

I dug Prometheus Rising as well. I'd been listening to a lot of Wilson's mp3s about the 8-circuit model and Prometheus summed it up very well. But to compare it with Illuminatus is kind of an apples/oranges comparison since one is fiction and one is nonfiction.

I'm still looking for that damn quarter.

Incidentally, I had been a Discordian for about 6 months when I randomly picked up Illuminatus at the bookstore because I thought it had a cool cover. When it turned out to be about Discordians, I pretty much freaked out.

I just finished reading Phillip K Dick's Flow My Tears the Policeman Said, which is the first PKD I've ever read. Very enjoyable, but I'm still not comfortable with his explanation of what was really going on. Next: Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep?

LMNO

Cain

Unless you allow his thinking to infect you and you have a mental breakdown.

LMNO

That One Guy

Man in the High Castle is a great PKD read (one of the first ones by him I read). Ubik and Time out of Joint are fascinating reads regarding the perception of time, and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer (while a bit tough to get through at points) is a great religio-philosophical book. Although, as LMNO said, you really can't go wrong with any of his stuff  :mrgreen:
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Cramulus

Okay - opinion poll
I'm borrowing both The Man in the High Castle and Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep right now. Which do you think I should read first?

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

That One Guy

Hmmm ... tough call. I'd say go with The Man in the High Castle, although they're both excellent. However, if you've seen Blade Runner, I'd go with Androids, since you're missing out on about half the story from the (admittedly excellent) movie version and deserve to get all the interesting bits   8)
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.