News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

A Scanner Darkly is cool, too.

So is Ubik.

http://www.pkdickbooks.com/ if you please.

Mangrove

DMT - The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman

(almost done...book report for Prof Cram if he still wants one)
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: LMNO on May 08, 2007, 04:18:40 PM
A Scanner Darkly is cool, too.

So is Ubik.

the man who japed is underrated
very interesting read
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cain

I just restarted Snow Crash.

Its been a long time.  11 years, if I'm not mistaken.

Cain

I'm now reading something else LMNO may like: Battlefield Earth, by Mr $cientology himself.

LMNO

Gah!

Did you know that's Mitt Romney's favorite book?

Let me know if you make it past the first 50 paes.

Cain

Really?  I thought he was a Mormon?  Or was it a Moron?  Anyway, this is awful. I got it off of 4chan for a laugh, but its a word file and I hate having to read those.

AFK

He is a Mormon.  Of course, he does tend to waffle so he could very well be a Pastafarian now for all we know. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on May 14, 2007, 04:44:25 PM
Really?  I thought he was a Mormon?  Or was it a Moron?  Anyway, this is awful. I got it off of 4chan for a laugh, but its a word file and I hate having to read those.

Yup.  Mormon.

I can't tell which is worse:

A President who's a Mormon.
A President that reads Scientologist Science Fiction.
A President who's favorite book, ever, is Battlefield Earth.

Cain

You'd think the even wackier Sci-Fi series, the Book of Mormon, would be his favourite, then...

Mangrove

The Tibetan Book of The Dead (Evans-Wentz translation)

That One Guy

Quote from: Mangrove on May 14, 2007, 06:23:50 PM
The Tibetan Book of The Dead (Evans-Wentz translation)

I need to re-read that. Haven't touched it since high school.

I'm currently re-reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, having just finished re-reading his Baroque Cycle.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

LMNO

Fucking hell, you re-read that?

I could hardly make it through Quicksilver.

Mangrove

I've not read any Neal Stephenson, even though a good friend of mine is a big fan and is certain that I'd get into it.

That One Guy

Quote from: LMNO on May 14, 2007, 06:31:24 PM
Fucking hell, you re-read that?

I could hardly make it through Quicksilver.

Hehe - read it all the way through maybe 4 times. It's a great story that just happens to take up, oh, 3000 or so pages. I tend to re-read things a few times as I usually pick up different bits and pieces along the way. I go through books VERY quickly - the whole Baroque Cycle takes me about 2 weeks unless I have more free time than usual. I love character development, and the way everything flows around in the Cycle is great. I know it recently got re-released as 9 or 10 separate books, breaking the larger ones up into smaller, more manageable chunks - might help to deal with it that way. However, I can definitely understand why it might not be everyone's (even Stephenson fans') proverbial cup of tea.

Quote from: Mangrove on May 14, 2007, 06:32:14 PM
I've not read any Neal Stephenson, even though a good friend of mine is a big fan and is certain that I'd get into it.

I love Stephenson. I'd recommend starting with Snow Crash, then the Diamond Age if you're interested.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.