News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Mangrove on June 05, 2007, 12:21:08 AM
what i am not reading:

a dead tree version of 'complete golden dawn'. why? because i ordered it, got charged, was told it 'shipped' and then weeks later, told that the book didn't exist and thus i was left to go fuck myself.

so double thanks to cain for the PDF because now that's the only version i have.

otherwise reading: 'supernatural' by graham hancock.

Damn.  You getting your money back, then?  If so, its probably a good stroke of luck.

Cain

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on June 05, 2007, 12:40:31 AM
I'm just finishing John Pilger's "Freedon next Time". There's chapters on American/British treatment of the Chagos Islanders, a critique of the "new" India, a deconstruction of the New South Africa, and more on Palestine/Israel. I'm just starting the chapter on Afghanistan.

A problem I have with Pilger is that I tend to agree with bloody everything he writes just about. Does anyone know a good place that critiques him? Most critiques I've read are hollow, and don't address the substance.

I can't think of many.  I know some of the stuff he has written is....off, somehow, but I cannot remember why.  With the Chagos Islanders though, he is dead on.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on June 05, 2007, 01:46:04 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on June 05, 2007, 12:21:08 AM
what i am not reading:

a dead tree version of 'complete golden dawn'. why? because i ordered it, got charged, was told it 'shipped' and then weeks later, told that the book didn't exist and thus i was left to go fuck myself.

so double thanks to cain for the PDF because now that's the only version i have.

otherwise reading: 'supernatural' by graham hancock.

Damn.  You getting your money back, then?  If so, its probably a good stroke of luck.

i got my money back. abebooks then sent me a questionnaire about my buying experience. problem was that i didn't actually have one.  :sad:

serves me right though, i'm not likely to get this book for less than $100-200+. this is the second time i've tried to get a cheap copy online and it's ended in tears. meh.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

All works out well in the end though, doesn't it?  8)

Cain

Finished Foucault's Pendulum.

Now reading James Adams, The Next World War.  Pretty much the best English language book on Information Warfare outside of Pentagon texts.

SBCU

Finished War and Peace by Tolstoy.

Started Youth by Joseph Conrad.
Es ist soweit ich bin bereit
Der schlaechter schreit ich bin soweit
Kein weib mehr schreit in ewigkeit

Darth Cupcake

Just starting in on Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I haven't slept enough this week so I keep going face down in the book when I start it, so hopefully this weekend + beach will see me make more progress.

I absolutely adore DFW's short story collection Girl With Curious Hair. His writing is great, if admittedly very much dark humor.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

The only good thing about Infinite Jest is the list of movies.

Man, that book sucked.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: LMNO on June 08, 2007, 03:20:14 PM
The only good thing about Infinite Jest is the list of movies.

Man, that book sucked.

This is what I am told. I am told that his short fiction is much, much better--and as I said, I really enjoyed a book of his short fiction.

So we'll see how it turns out. I really enjoy books that can double as self-defense mechanisms, though, so carrying around the cinderblock that is Infinite Jest is kind of fun, so I'll probably end up getting all the way through it pretty soon.

-DC
Also has Gravity's Rainbow on her shelf for similar roommate-smacking purposes
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

Private Eye, Issue 1186.  Just got the letters page.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

1. The Sling and The Stone (Nice discussion of 4GW tactics)
2. Smoke and Mirrors - Neil Gaiman
3. The Bobinomicon
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Who wrote The Sling and the Stone?  I just ordered Brave New War by John Robb, and could do with more 4GW stuff for my library.  Especially if it includes systems analysis style thinking.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Colonel Thomas X. Hammes (Active Duty) his book does a fantastic job of following the development of 4GW from Mao through Iraq with stopovers in most of the conflicts since WWII ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

SBCU

:argh!: Read War and Peace by Tolstoy and you will also get a description of 4GW.

Oh yeah, sorry, doesn't fit in the US time line.
Der schlaechter schreit ich bin soweit
Kein weib mehr schreit in ewigkeit

bubz_the_troll

I've just begun reading Book of Lies The Disinformation Guide to Magick and the Occult.