News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

As far as I understand it, the idea of the surge was to throw American bodies into the line of fire to give the Iraqi government time to... um... legislate, or something.

So, even if the troops now die with less frequency than they used to, the whole surge thing is a failure if the Iraqi government can't get their shit together.

Someone should do one of those "Epic Fail" jpegs on this.

Cain

I heard that story as well.

It sounds better than "we armed a bunch of thugs who hate Al-Qaeda as much as we do, and then they turned around and cut the tongues out of nearly everyone helping them, then they delivered us the intel and we found them and ran them out of the country (sometimes drove them out, because its hard to run when you have no legs).  And for their debut act, they're going to to do it to al-Sadr's boys and anyone working with the scum Shi'ite government."

So it was a PR exericise, done with copious amounts of AQ blood, to cover up the fact that the civil war has only halted for a temporary and short lived alliance against AQ in Iraq.

Darth Cupcake

My dad has subscribed to Car & Driver for as long as I can remember, and read to me from it when I was a child (a good bed-time story: can the American take on the German? ...well, no, actually). After stealing his copies for years, he finally got me a subscription for xmas. Woo!

I got my first copy last night, read it from end to end. I am fairly convinced that we need to recruit the editor that responds to their letters section. Because I don't think that guy says one even remotely friendly thing to anyone in his answers, rarely even responding to their letters. Half the time, he'll respond to one letter just to use it as a springboard from which to leap into mocking another letter (that was already mocked, but why not do it again for fun?).

It was hilarious, yet done with clever, short answers. I want to study that man's ways.

Although tonight I will be rereading some of the 10Best cars a bit more thoroughly, as I was awfully drowsy last night.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

AFK

I will be reading the Principia again.  That is Syn's new hard-cover version of it, as soon as Amazon decides to ship it to me. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

They took forever to ship it to me, too. Was worth the wait. Especially since a lot of your names are printed in the Thanks appendix.

AFK

NOw that I think about it, I think Syn mentioned it was going to be a "print-on-demand" deal, that may be why I have to wait so long. 

Triple Zero

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on January 03, 2008, 07:50:32 PM
They took forever to ship it to me, too. Was worth the wait. Especially since a lot of your names are printed in the Thanks appendix.

i was surprised to find that even i was in it, under the name of "R Orange" (which was the name i signed up with at poee.co.uk)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

I'm mostly interested in the extra materials, that and ditching my SJGames version.  I feel icky owning it. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Someone seems to have permanently borrowed my Loompanics yellow edition, and that makes me sad.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

i use my hardcover mostly as a surface to roll joints on.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

hunter s.durden

Gonzo by Jann S. Wenner and Corey Seymour

Why the Allies Won by Richard Overy

It was a good reading week.
This space for rent.

Cain

Overy is meant to be one of the best WWII historians.  We studied some extracts of his in History A level.

AFK

I've been re-reading The Book of the SubGenius. 

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Cain on January 07, 2008, 03:51:46 PM
Overy is meant to be one of the best WWII historians.  We studied some extracts of his in History A level.

Despite his hilarious name, I was thoroughly impressed. Highly reccomended.

I'm going to be mining the library for his work.
This space for rent.