News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

QuoteAverage length of time between penetration and orgasm for a man: 7.3 minutes

Kinsey, yes.

e

Honestly I'm surprised it's that long.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on April 08, 2008, 08:47:46 PM
QuoteAverage length of time between penetration and orgasm for a man: 7.3 minutes

Kinsey, yes.

That sounds about right. I don't really go for extended periods of in-out; it gets boring, and chafey. However, there's usually a lot more going on before the in-out.

Kinsey was an advocate of good sex; that's why he started studying human sexuality.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

God's War - A New History of the Crusades by Christopher Tyerman.

Needs moar Is'maili's.  Other than that, good so far.

Anch

Casanova's memoirs
Fyodor Dostoevsky "The Brothers Karamazov"
Duerrenmatt's "The Pledge: Requiem for the Detective Novel" and "Suspicion"
Sartre's "Le Mots"

Yay for book jumble sales!
help I'm trapped in a online-personality-machine and can't escargh

Cain

Casanova's memoirs are the shit.  One of my favourite pieces of reading, ever.

I'm reading Reich of the Black Sun, a book that tries to make the case that Nazi Germany was ahead of the Allies in nuclear technology, actually made nukes in 1945 and tested them, but had no delivery system to drop them on London or New York.  It would certainly explain some irrational behaviour on troop placements as the Allies advanced on Germany (excessive protection given to Thuringia and the area around Prague), as well as Hilter's raving about a super-weapon, but....on the other hand, I don't know.  Its a very extraordinary claim, and the science seems a little shakey in places.

BootyBay

10 Days That Shook the World by John Reed
There are two kinds of people in this world.. Winners and losers.. I think we know which kind you are.

Triple Zero

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Whaling, by Gideon Defoe
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ShoobyDB

I just finished the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman.
I am currently (slowly) reading Ulysses by James Joyce and Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais.
I posted that so hard.

Cain

Quote from: ShoobyDB on April 23, 2008, 08:12:57 AM
I just finished the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman.
I am currently (slowly) reading Ulysses by James Joyce and Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais.

I keep meaning to read the His Dark Materials trilogy.  Recommended?

ShoobyDB

I highly recommend. The movie doesn't really do the book any justice, but they never do. It has a lot of stuff in it that you can take for more than just fiction. I'd like to tell you more, but I don't want to ruin it.
I posted that so hard.

Cain

Cool, thanks.  I havent seen the film yet, but I may download it one day, once I've finished reading the series.  I find doing it other way around is usually a bad idea.

ShoobyDB

Agreed. I read the first two books and then saw the movie while reading the third. Although, if you watch the movie first, then the story line gets better when you read the book instead of the movie just being dissapointing.
I posted that so hard.

Reeducation

I'm reading the Kalevala. Again. Damn hard to read, even when it is written in finnish. These poems, poems... (Beyond Good and Evil is on pause)

"The Kalevala is a book and epic poem which the Finn Elias Lönnrot compiled from Finnish and Karelian folklore in the 19th century. It is held to be the national epic of Finland and is traditionally thought of as one of the most significant works of Finnish language literature. Karelians in the Republic of Karelia and other Balto-Finnic speakers also value the work. The Kalevala is credited with some of the inspiration for the national awakening that ultimately led to Finland's independence from Russia in 1917."  Wikipediaaa.....

I am very calm

Cain

The Changing Images of Man - The Standford Research Institute