News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Pataphoros, SpD

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.  I highly recommend it--it is a spectacularly twisted read.
-Padre Pataphoros, Bearer of Nine Names, Custodian of the Gate to the Forward Four, The Man Called Nobody, Philosopher of the Eleventeenth Sphere, The Noisy Ninja, Guardian of the Silver Hammer, Patron of the Perpetual Plan B, The Lord High Slacker, [The Secret Name of Power]

Mangrove

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on May 08, 2008, 10:40:54 PM
At Mangrove's advice,
I'm reading Chicken Qabalah
by Lon Milo Duquette

I'd tried to read up on Qabalah about a half dozen times prior to this. This is the first writer I've come across that's explained in a way which doesn't make me want to reach through the book and punch him in the vau.

ETA: right in the zain? right in the samekh? right in the ayin?

there's too many letters which might be a cock.

Yes, you've found out. Most of the qabalah is a series of increasingly complex, esoteric dick jokes.
Welcome aboard!  :fap:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

hooplala

Just saw this now.

I LOVE THAT FUCKIN BOOK!

I think someone stole my copy.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Cram and I have pdf's, if you want an electronic version.

hooplala

I may need that.  Thanks.

On a different note, I am currently reading "Mr. B. Gone" by Clive Barker:  and it fucking SUCKS.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cainad (dec.)

Catcher in the Rye

It kind of blows, but I'm sure I would have considered the best thing evar if I was around when it was a cult classic. It makes me sad to think of all the shitty writers who must have tried to imitate Salinger.

e

Quote from: Hoopla on May 13, 2008, 10:40:44 PM
I may need that.  Thanks.

On a different note, I am currently reading "Mr. B. Gone" by Clive Barker:  and it fucking SUCKS.

At least it's not Dan Brown.

Quote from: Cainad on May 13, 2008, 10:43:21 PM
Catcher in the Rye

It kind of blows, but I'm sure I would have considered the best thing evar if I was around when it was a cult classic. It makes me sad to think of all the shitty writers who must have tried to imitate Salinger.

At least it's not Dan Brown.

(this can be said about almost everything)

Cain

But not about Angels and Demons, sadly.

Also, Hoopla http://mihd.net/ytsfj48 (8.35 MB)

hooplala

I read Catcher when I was about 18 and loved it... and yeah, my writing was pure Salinger for quite a few years.

I haven't read it in a while, but my memories are fond.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Dido

I just tried reading Jane Eyre (dealing with matrices appears to have  afflicted my brain ) and I think I never appreciated how right John Dolan is about everything in general and great English writers in particular.

hooplala

Please elaborate for us ignant foo's.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Dido

I am inclined to find find a love story that ends with the heroine  explaining that she loves her intended more now that he is crippled and blind because now she can be useful to him a little daunting. Actually it does not end there. It ends with her rapture that her missionary friend is about to die a violent death and finally meet his maker.

Dido

Jane Eyre is dedicated to Thackerey, a writer whom Dolan loves to hate, which is why I decided spontaneously that he must be right. And yes, I know that I am not viewing the matter from the correct historical perspective.

e

Thackeray is fun because he's a total jerk. 

I mean come on, Becky Sharp!  Best character ever.  Except I think she reformed in the end, the bitch.

(Obviously I never read the entire 900 pages of Vanity Fair)

Dido

I adored Becky, unfortunately Thackerey didn't. But I am not sure if he liked anybody at all or was just making some kind of point about society and the world at general. Oh, and Dolan loves bitching about Wordsworth. But as he loves bitching about anybody who is not Byron I could argue that I was not totally off the mark.