News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Just picked up a copy of Godel, Escher, Bach by Hofstader.  It's pretty brilliant so far.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Felix on May 23, 2008, 10:51:45 PM
Just picked up a copy of Godel, Escher, Bach by Hofstader.  It's pretty brilliant so far.

only just now? dude you're in for a wild ride, enjoy! ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: triple zero on May 09, 2008, 12:49:30 PM
Quote from: IasonOuabache on May 09, 2008, 07:12:21 AM"The Art and Science of Cold Reading"

now that sounds really interesting.

i always wanted to read up on that.

Sorry, I completely forgot about this thread.  If you want that book, I found it in one of Cain's links:  http://docquan.com/lib_dead.html  It's in the NeuroLinguistic Programming section.

I'm still working my way through "Chaos: Making a New Science" by James Glieck.  I almost put it down when he started talking about fluid mechanics and differential equations, two of my least favorite subjects in college.  Thankfully he quickly moved to astronomy and piqued my interest again.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just started reading "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach

It's totally good.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

e

I am currently reading the "Age of Unreason" series.

It's sort of "Alchemypunk."  Amusing frippery and silliness, mostly.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on May 25, 2008, 09:52:23 AM
I am currently reading the "Age of Unreason" series.

It's sort of "Alchemypunk."  Amusing frippery and silliness, mostly.

Nobody cares what the fuck emo garbage you're reading.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

e

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Raphaella

Quote from: Nigel on May 25, 2008, 07:35:21 AM
I just started reading "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach

It's totally good.

This one is very funny! I hope you enjoy it.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Jasper

Quote from: triple zero on May 24, 2008, 03:02:52 PM
Quote from: Felix on May 23, 2008, 10:51:45 PM

only just now? dude you're in for a wild ride, enjoy! ;-)

Dude, I'm only 21 and I'm just finishing my first semester of community college.

Why does everyone think I'm supposed to be experienced?

Micro Ice

Reading "Legion" Book 7 of the Horus Heresy
Let me Go, Gravity, Whats On My Shoulder?, Little by Little I Feel a Bit Better.

Darth Cupcake

A Kaplan GMAT study book. :cry:

I am going to take over the world shortly. This whole legwork thing is kinda a pain in the ass, though. (No, srsly, once I have a degree, fear me.)

Oh, also the Star Wars book Suu lent me. I figure one ridiculous book deserves another. :D

Soon it will be my vacation and I'll be able to lounge in the sun actually reading books that require brain power. It'll be super.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Suu

...I'm wondering if I should take a week off and do the same.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

M.K

Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum. Besides another great story contains some dialogue concerning religion. The people talking are Quite Reverend Oats and Granny Weatherwax. Granny + any topic = usually great text.
Die Scheiße ist das Kühlgebläse angeschlagen.