News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: M.K on May 27, 2008, 06:27:36 PM
Terry Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum. Besides another great story contains some dialogue concerning religion. The people talking are Quite Reverend Oats and Granny Weatherwax. Granny + any topic = usually great text.

Agreed.  I wish there was a book on Esme Weatherwax's youth.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Felix on May 27, 2008, 07:57:12 AM
Quote from: triple zero on May 24, 2008, 03:02:52 PM
Quote from: Felix on May 23, 2008, 10:51:45 PM
Just picked up a copy of Godel, Escher, Bach by Hofstader.  It's pretty brilliant so far.

only just now? dude you're in for a wild ride, enjoy! ;-)

Dude, I'm only 21 and I'm just finishing my first semester of community college.

Why does everyone think I'm supposed to be experienced?

oh i didnt mean it like that, more that i think this book is probably really right up your alley.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Quote from: triple zero on May 27, 2008, 09:01:04 PM
Quote from: Felix on May 27, 2008, 07:57:12 AM
Quote from: triple zero on May 24, 2008, 03:02:52 PM
Quote from: Felix on May 23, 2008, 10:51:45 PM
Just picked up a copy of Godel, Escher, Bach by Hofstader.  It's pretty brilliant so far.

only just now? dude you're in for a wild ride, enjoy! ;-)

Dude, I'm only 21 and I'm just finishing my first semester of community college.

Why does everyone think I'm supposed to be experienced?

oh i didnt mean it like that, more that i think this book is probably really right up your alley.

Oh, sorry I snapped.  Lately I've been putting up with a lot of "OMG you haven't read/seen X?  I question your humanity/geek cred/cultural knowledge!!!"

Raphaella

QuoteOh, sorry I snapped.  Lately I've been putting up with a lot of "OMG you haven't read/seen X?  I question your humanity/geek cred/cultural knowledge!!!"

You should see the blunder I stepped into. I'm now reading The Invisibles...
And doing research in PiHKAL and The Teachings of Don Juan. Please anyone who would like to share with me the physical conditions brought on by Mescaline, send me a PM. Thanks.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Dido

I haven't read the Invisibles but Castaneda is funny and occasionally inspiring. And I should like that PM, too.

Dido

Finished rereading Half asleep in Frog Pajamas.

Raphaella

Still researching, but I may have gone off on a bit of a whim. Reading Holotropic Mind and Life after Life. 
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Jasper

Now reading Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium by Sandy Mitchell

It's funny how like Episkopos Cain the main character is.

Micro Ice

Quote from: Felix on June 03, 2008, 06:20:26 PM

Ahaha i freaking love those books. Im now reading the Eisenhorn series myself.
I love my warhammer novels way too much.
Let me Go, Gravity, Whats On My Shoulder?, Little by Little I Feel a Bit Better.

Jasper

Quote from: Micro-Ice 5th on June 05, 2008, 03:01:58 AM
Quote from: Felix on June 03, 2008, 06:20:26 PM

Ahaha i freaking love those books. Im now reading the Eisenhorn series myself.
I love my warhammer novels way too much.

Eisenhorn is the best 40K novel, ever, including unwritten ones, presumably.

M.K

Now reading Guards! Guards! again. Hell's bells, I didn't remember the amount of great shit in this one. Also, Sam Vimes fucking owns.
Die Scheiße ist das Kühlgebläse angeschlagen.

That One Guy

"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you. ... It seems you have managed to retain this even though you are authority. ... That's practically Zen."

-Lord Vetinari to Captain Vimes, Feet of Clay

Lu-Tze: "...one day it seemed to me that everyone else had decided that wisdom can only be found a long way off. So I went to Ankh-Morpork. They were all coming here, so it seemed only fair."
Lobsang: "Seeking enlightenment?"
Lu-Tze: "No. The wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. So while I was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun."

-Thief of Time

Vimes and Lu Tze should both be Discordian saints. Hell, damn near everyone in that world should be a Discordian saint  :lulz:
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

BADGE OF HONOR

I'm reading Generation and Degeneration:  Tropes of Reproduction in Literature and History from Antiquity to Early Modern Europe.  It's a little uneven, but I've learned a whole hell of a lot more about male menstruation than necessary.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Bu🤠ns

WTF? i can't even understand that title.

(alan moore's writing for comics, for me)

u4!k

Carlos Castaneda's
The Art oF Dreaming.

its really good so far

i intend on pratcticing lucid dreaming every night...
i know how hard it can be/seem though...