News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nurbldoff

Relating to the previous discussion of child mortality, I recommend http://graphs.gapminder.org. It's a neat toy for exploring tons of data about the world in an accessible way. Plot child mortality rate against e.g. income per capita and then watch what happens through the last 50 years...

I'm reading "The Rosicrucian Enlightenment" by Yates.

Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Iason Ouabache

Reread about half of Watchmen at work tonight. I'm really curious how they are going to pull off the movie now.  Such a huge chunk of the story is told in flashbacks. I'm still geeked about it though. 
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Richter

"Master and commander", "The Blind watchmaker"
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Nast

I've been thinking about reading Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard, but the use of language in that book is so outlandishly postmodern that I'm wondering how I'd ever get through it without jamming something unpleasant into somewhere equally as unpleasant.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Nast

My thoughts exactly, but the lulz aspect of it is tantalizing. I find anyone who can string together such pretentious words like "eschalon", "matrices" "simulacra", "imagen" and pass it off as a coherent sentence, let alone thought, highly hilarious. I can only hope to one day be that full of shit.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just started reading "Nation" by Terry Pratchett, which my daughter insists is an "immortal book". There are only three books which she proclaims to be "immortal"; one of them is "The Little White Horse" and I can't remember the other one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh yeah, it was "Island of the Blue Dolphins".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

BADGE OF HONOR

Shut up.

The Little White Horse is unqualified best children's book EVER.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's on my nightstand; I plan to read it after Nation if the serial killer novel I'm supposed to review next is too bad to read.

Cain

Quote from: Nasturtiums on August 20, 2008, 06:48:51 AM
I've been thinking about reading Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard, but the use of language in that book is so outlandishly postmodern that I'm wondering how I'd ever get through it without jamming something unpleasant into somewhere equally as unpleasant.

Its actually not too bad, when compared to the likes of Lacan, for example.  I suggest reading The Society of the Spectacle first, however.

Cain

The Open Society and Its Enemies - Karl Popper

OK, but a bit simplistic and naive in places.  Camus did this much better, and with much fewer words, though his smackdown of Plato promises to be amusing.

Also, The Cambridge Companion to Critical Theory, since so many people have so many divergent takes on the Critical Theorists, so I should probably learn something about them.

LMNO

Over the vacation I read "Crooked Little Vein" by Warren Ellis.

Yes, that Warren Ellis.

A good read, but not much of a story arc.