News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.N. Other

I just picked up a book called "Language In Thought And Action" by S.I. Hayakawa and Alan R. Hayakawa that I shall begin reading sometime tonight.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

LMNO

I've been reading "Fear and Loathing On the Campaign Trail 1972", HST.

That's some good shit, right there.  Eerily relevant, too.

That One Guy

Quote from: LMNO on September 03, 2008, 03:56:10 PM
I've been reading "Fear and Loathing On the Campaign Trail 1972", HST.

That's some good shit, right there.  Eerily relevant, too.

I read that every campaign season to get in the proper perspective. So much quality in that book  :mrgreen:
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Iason Ouabache

"Why Darwin Matters" - Michael Shermer.  First thing I've actually read anything by Shermer but I've seen a few of his lectures and interviews online.  He does a great job of destroying Intelligent Design from a philosophical point of view. I'm more used to seeing it destroyed from the science side of things so it's been an interesting read.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reeducation

I am very calm

fomenter

Dexter just finished "dearly devoted" and "darkly dreaming" waiting for the next one to show in the mail.. yay
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Professor Mu-Chao

"Is it weird in here or is it me?" - Ambrose Bierce

LMNO

I unpacked my Transmetropolitans out of storage, so I started that while finishing up Fear & Loathing '72.

Bu🤠ns

the control book  by Peter Masters (lol silly name)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Slavoj Žižek, In Defence of Lost Causes.

An interesting book.  Žižek is one of the few Continental non-postmodern philosophers, and it shows in his writings (mainly because they are comprehensible and seem to align, at least in part, to reality).  His use of Lacanian psychoanalysis and critical questioning, as opposed to trying to answer questions, take him down some very odd roads.

Anyhow, this book is about how the age of grand narratives may not be quite as over as it seems.  He wants to go back and pick at the corpses of 'failed' ideologies to see what they brung to the table and make it harder to dismiss them out of hand.  Whether he fails or succeeds remains to be seen, but he already goes through some interesting side arguments in order to make his point.

The Times has a review of his book here http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/the_tls/article3800980.ece

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I started reading "Winesburg, Ohio" tonight and it is murdering me with beauty.

BADGE OF HONOR

I picked up a couple free books.  right now I'm reading The Longest Street by Louis Sobol, who was a reporter for Broadway crap for a long ass time waaay back when.  Like, he started in 1929.  So far it's been an endless namedrop of people I haven't even heard of, with the occasional person I recognise (ie Fred Astaire).  It's hilarious.  SEriously hilarious.  I opened it to a random page and found a tirade about how the future of the "back-stage johnny" is doomed because girls these days have too much ambition. 
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Requia ☣

Damn you for taking the cat orgasm quote for your sig first Badger.  Damn you. :argh!:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.