News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BADGE OF HONOR

There, I changed it to something even funnier.   :lulz:
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jasper

I like that a lot.  Favorite line was "sanity-blasting truths of the greater cosmos". :lulz:

Richter

It gets funny whenever I read it. :)

"It isn't a proper CoC game / fiction / etc. unless 'put the gun in your mouth' is an option."
-paraphrased Tim the Necromancer, former coworker.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Iason Ouabache

FINALLY finished "Breaking the Spell".  May or may not do some writing on it.  The beginning and end sections were kinda boring but the middle section was absolutely fascinating.  Still one of the most important books I've ever read.

Anyways, now reading "Don't Panic: Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Neil Gaiman. 
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Reeducation

I'll start reading Wilhelm Reich in Hell today
I am very calm

Darth Cupcake

When on public transit, I am currently reading The Best American Non-Required Reading 2008. It's a great smattering of fiction and nonfiction, along with some hilarious ephemera at the front (such as "Best American Newspaper Headlines, 1907"--I nearly shat myself from laughing). I don't like some of it, but some of it is so brilliant that I'm laughing out loud in the T. I don't think it's particularly diverse in the selections--you can really tell exactly what the selections board was into, and it's a little fatiguing sometimes, because it feels like this group of high schoolers is trying to proselytize to me through what they put into the book--but overall, I'm enjoying it and would recommend it, if only for the ephemera.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Bu🤠ns

Cain

A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin.

I think I guessed the plot about 100 pages too early.

Payne

Quote from: Cain on October 14, 2008, 09:51:41 AM
A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin.

I think I guessed the plot about 100 pages too early.

I was completely unable to read his books. Just couldn't get into them at all.

Cain

It takes about 100 pages or so to get into this.  But once you do, it becomes much more interesting.  Assassination, intrigue, the games of great houses, uncertain and uncomfortable alliances...its all there.

I left it alone for a while for the same reason.  But I decided to give it another go, because so many people had told me it was worth it.

Payne

Quote from: Cain on October 14, 2008, 10:47:38 AM
It takes about 100 pages or so to get into this.  But once you do, it becomes much more interesting.  Assassination, intrigue, the games of great houses, uncertain and uncomfortable alliances...its all there.

I left it alone for a while for the same reason.  But I decided to give it another go, because so many people had told me it was worth it.

I think what did it for me was reading through the first book, then buying the second to find there was a printing error, and the first 150 pages or so were just repeated 5 or 6 times.

Then I just couldn't work up the motivation to buy a proper copy and finish the series.

Cain

Darth Cupcake

I love those books.

But I am about ready to give up on them because stupid George RR Martin keeps promising that he's going to finish the next book, but he's been promising for YEARS (it was supposed to be released by the end of 2004, to give you context) and we're still seeing nothing. I understand that writing can't be rushed, but FOUR YEARS LATE? I'm not patient enough for this crap. Not when there's supposed to be something like seven or eight books and there's only four out and he can't even keep to his schedule.

He's an amazing writer and the books become darker and more ridiculous and more amazing the further in you get (though sometimes a bit over the top), but this is just absurd.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Payne

He's going to do a Robert Jordan.

And I laugh at all you fuckers.