News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raphaella

I found this today at the thrift store: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds. It's a play by Paul Zindel, pretty cool so far.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Cain

I'm reading The Re-emergence of Emergence: The Emergent Hypothesis from Science to Religion, edited by Phillip Clayton and Paul Davies

Manta Obscura

I'm about 90 pages into "World War Z" by Max Brooks, the bloke that did the zombie guide. So far its entertaining, but hardly an intellectual masterpiece.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on October 28, 2008, 09:48:25 AM
I'm reading The Re-emergence of Emergence: The Emergent Hypothesis from Science to Religion, edited by Phillip Clayton and Paul Davies
Uh, would this happen to be an e-book or a paper book?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 28, 2008, 03:11:24 PM

E-book

http://mihd.net/xkozme

Jenne

A Lion Among Men, the new sequel to the Wicked series.  I needs me something light-ISH.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on October 28, 2008, 03:27:37 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on October 28, 2008, 03:11:24 PM

E-book

http://mihd.net/xkozme
SWOTE!  Grassy-ass.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

BADGE OF HONOR

I'm reading Anathem by Neil Stephenson.  I'd say it's not as entertaining as his other books, but I'm only 100 pages in and he usually takes a while to pick up. 

The setting is like a mix between a zen school, a catholic church, and an ancient greek philosophers' club.  I keep getting A Canticle For Leibowitz vibes off it for no real reason.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Cain

I have heard Anathem starts off quite slow, and makes up for it later (so like you say, comparable with his other books, though apparently you really have to stick with this one).

I'm finishing off After Authority, which is taking forever.  At turns it is interesting and both mind-numbingly boring in the way only an IR academic could be.  After that, I intend to read Breeding Bin Laden's by Zachary Shore.

Professor Mu-Chao

Good to know about Anathem, going to tackle that next. Currently reading Clive James' Cultural Amnesia which is very engaging (but very large).
"Is it weird in here or is it me?" - Ambrose Bierce

Reeducation

I am very calm

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Professor Mu-Chao on November 10, 2008, 12:22:17 AM
Good to know about Anathem, going to tackle that next. Currently reading Clive James' Cultural Amnesia which is very engaging (but very large).

I'm a lot farther now and it definitely picked up.  I've marked out some passages I'm going to quote here, when it's not late as fuck.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Payne

Finally picked up a copy of The Black Swan, in dead-tree format.

So much more readable.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think I'm reading a terry Pratchett book, but I can't remember which one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO