News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Heh.  I missed a few.  My daily required totals went from 1600 words a day to 2000.

But Mrs LMNO is actually encouraging me, so i persevere.

BADGE OF HONOR

Here are some interesting bits from Anathem.

QuoteSline: (1) In Fluccish of the late Praxic Age and early Reconstitution, a slang word formed by the truncation of baseline, which is a Praxic commercial bullshytt term.  It appears to be a noun that turned into an adjective meaning "common" or "widely shared".  (2) A noun denoting an extramurous person with no special education, skills, aspirations, or hope of acquiring same.  (3) Derogatory term for stupid or uncouth person, esp. one who takes pride in those very qualities.  Note: this sense is deprecated because it implies that a sline is a sline because of inherent personal shortcomings or perverse choices; sense (2) is preferred because it does not convey any such implication.
-The Dictionary, 4th Edition, A.R. 3000.

QuoteProtas, the greatest fid of Thelenes, had climbed to the top of a mountain near Ethras and looked down upon the plain that nourished the city-state and observed the shadows of the clouds, and compared their shapes.  He had had his famous upsight that while the shapes of the shadows endeniably answered to those of the clouds, the latter were infinitely more complex and more perfectly realized than the former, which were distorted not only by the loss of spatial dimensions but also by being projected onto terrain that was of irregular shape.  Hiking back down, he had extended his upsight by noting that the mountain seemed to have a different shape every time he turned around to look back at it, even though he knew it had but one absolute form and that these seeming changes were mere figments of his shifting points of view.  From there he had moved on to his greatest upsight of all, which was that these two observations--the one concerning the clouds, the other concerning the mountain--were themselves both shadows cast into his mind by the same greater, unifying idea.  Returning to the Periklyne he had proclaimed his doctrine that all the things we thought we knew were shadows of more perfect things in a higher world.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

I think it's so slow to start because you have to learn about 20 new words before things start making sense.  Fortunately there is a glossary in the back.  Also a large chunk of mathy stuff that I'm not interested in.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Iason Ouabache

"Saving Darwin: How to Be a Christian and Believe in Evolution" by Karl W. Giberson.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on November 11, 2008, 11:02:36 PM
"Saving Darwin: How to Be a Christian and Believe in Evolution" by Karl W. Giberson.

From the first and only page:

"Don't be a dumbass who believes that all of the land-bound animals in the world were within walking distance of a crazy desert-dwelling boat-builder. The End."
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Manta Obscura on November 12, 2008, 03:23:49 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on November 11, 2008, 11:02:36 PM

From the first and only page:

"Don't be a dumbass who believes that all of the land-bound animals in the world were within walking distance of a crazy desert-dwelling boat-builder. The End."
Yeah, that's the basic idea but he fleshes it out quite a bit.  The intro section where he talks about going from a hardcore Young Earth Creationists in high school to a Theistic Evolutionist after just 2 years of college was really interesting.  It's really strange having your entire worldview tossed on its head in such a short time.
    \

Sister_Gothique

Just finished:
   Black Sun Rising-C.S. Friedman
   The Black Company-Glen Cook

Starting back up on Through The Looking Glass (forgot who does it...most likely Ringo). I'm trying to muscle through it for a friend who wants me to read it. ech
I'm the new "God's Will"...Soon it'll be, "Oh, I can't be held accountable for THAT, Sister Gothique made me do it!"

Cain

George RR Martin - A Storm of Swords (third Fire and Ice novel.  Requires more unexpected deaths).
The Routledge Companion to Phenomenology and Existentialism

Eve

:lol: Twilight. Because I can get it free from work, and because I apparently hate myself a lot. Looks as though I'll be done with it before dinner.
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Cainad (dec.)

The World Without Us by Alan Weisman.

What happens if all humans suddenly disappeared off the planet but left everything else intact? Read to find out!

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Eve on November 17, 2008, 08:44:09 PM
:lol: Twilight. Because I can get it free from work, and because I apparently hate myself a lot. Looks as though I'll be done with it before dinner.
The Wife went through the entire series in a little over a week. She loved it, but that wasn't too surprising.  Her reading habits are like that of a teenage girl.
    \

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Cain on November 14, 2008, 12:56:30 PM
George RR Martin - A Storm of Swords (third Fire and Ice novel.  Requires more unexpected deaths).

I started the first George RR Martin book and I tossed by page 100, there was already too much incest, pedophilia, and rape for me to handle.  No wonder nerds like it so much.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on November 17, 2008, 10:57:04 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 14, 2008, 12:56:30 PM

I started the first George RR Martin book and I tossed by page 100, there was already too much incest, pedophilia, and rape for me to handle.  No wonder nerds like it so much.

:lulz:

shadowfurry23

Myths to Live By - Joseph Campbell

I've had the damn thing laying around for years, finally getting around to reading it.  Neat stuff.
This play, however, is an affirmation of life—not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living, which is so excellent once one gets one's mind and one's desires out of its way and lets it act of its own accord. - John Cage