News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm still reading Illuminatus!, Stiff, The Great Mortality, Pyramids, Winesburg Ohio, Fragile things, Beowulf, and John Dies at the End.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Right now I am reading 'At Swim Two Birds' and 'the Psychopath's Bible'.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Iason Ouabache

World War Z by Max Brooks which I received as an early Xmas present.  Best fiction book I've read in a long time.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Cultural Populism - Jim McGuigan
Deconstruction in Theory and Practice
The Routledge Companion to Critical Theory

Bu🤠ns

i finally started illuminatus ... ON AUDIO!! yeah..

Mangrove

In the middle of 'Abramelin' (new translation of ye olde 14th century German grimoire)
Just started 'Reclaiming History' by Bugliosi.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

VIDEODROME

The experiments will continue...    film at 11.

Requia ☣

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on November 17, 2008, 10:57:04 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 14, 2008, 12:56:30 PM
George RR Martin - A Storm of Swords (third Fire and Ice novel.  Requires more unexpected deaths).
The Routledge Companion to Phenomenology and Existentialism

I started the first George RR Martin book and I tossed by page 100, there was already too much incest, pedophilia, and rape for me to handle.  No wonder nerds like it so much.

Hmm, I don't remember any pedos till the second book...
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Requiem on December 01, 2008, 05:45:17 AM
Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on November 17, 2008, 10:57:04 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 14, 2008, 12:56:30 PM
George RR Martin - A Storm of Swords (third Fire and Ice novel.  Requires more unexpected deaths).
The Routledge Companion to Phenomenology and Existentialism

I started the first George RR Martin book and I tossed by page 100, there was already too much incest, pedophilia, and rape for me to handle.  No wonder nerds like it so much.

Hmm, I don't remember any pedos till the second book...

some 13 year old girl gets married to some dude and on their wedding night she gets all wet on his dick (cause yeah that's real believable, of course, any girl who is petrified the entire day is naturally going to suddenly become warm and willing after getting macked on for a few minutes)
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

By the way, I'm reading Les Liaisons Dangereuses (Choderlos de Laclos) in the original french, which also contains pedophilia, but at least that 15 year old chick doesn't enjoy getting raped.

for fuck's sake.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

LMNO

I prefer my rapes be entirely consensual.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on November 27, 2008, 10:29:13 PM
World War Z by Max Brooks which I received as an early Xmas present.  Best fiction book I've read in a long time.

I just finished that, Iason. It's really, really good.

We'll have to nerd out about zombies, lobos and the Shield Society when you get done.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Cain

Dark Medecine: rationalizing unethical medical research.

This is fascinating.  I'm familiar with Unit 731 and the Nazi experiments but this is a book about how doctors in particular supported genocide programs, eugenics and medical torture.  Most interestingly, many were far from cranks and sadists and were willing to turn a blind eye to the methods of procurement in order to get their hands on exotic tissues - such as metally damaged children's brains in large numbers.  There is a good chapter which suggests bioterrorism was used by US forces in the Korean War as well.

At the end it also raises the sinister possibility of modern eugenics programs being launched, and where 'Baconian' scientists (in the sense of scientists who believe the rule of sciece should be the bedrock of social organization) could lead.

And before anyone jumps in, the book was written and contributed to by numerous scientists, so its not one of those crank Christian/Scientologist "zomg the psychiatrists are fascists" type books.  It just raises....disturbing possibilities.  Especially in conjunction with the New Atheist crowd, some of whom may be receptive to such a message of enlightened scientific rule.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Manta Obscura

Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.