News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Antonymous on December 17, 2008, 10:14:02 PM
QuoteThe monk dude from J2tW also appears in some television show called "Read or Die," btw.
Never seen it, but that's a great name for a TV show.

You'd think that, but the series is actually HORRIBLE. The OVA is much better, but doesn't include a "monk dude".

Kai,

Wapanese.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

I finished The Whiskey Rebels, which was enjoyable.  The ending a little brief, maybe, but I suspect Liss is leaving an opening for Captain Ethan Saunders to return in a sequel of sorts, which could be good.

ternechto

I'm looking for a good librivox recording. I was going to listen to Nietschze but most of them are in German. Tried listening to The Antichrist but I think it would take me a while to not be distracted by her high pitched voice.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Sister_Gothique on December 19, 2008, 03:47:20 PM
Finished Shadows Linger (surprisingly..it got a lot better... )

and onto The White Rose, continuing the Black Company series by Glen Cool....I probably won't be getting very far into this any time soon, seeing as I'm moving and I've got shit to do....bah.

I really liked that series, but my dad told me that after the third book the series just kinda went lame. Still, they were fun books.

LMNO

I'm Reading Neil Gaiman, "The Graveyard Book."

He's such a good writer, it makes me sick.

Cain

The Political Philosophy of Michael Foucault.  Intriguing.  Also may help me rethink aspects of 5GW.
Masters of War: Classical Strategic Thought.  Interesting, but limited.  Mostly about Clausewitz and Sun Tzu.
No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumpster Diving and Shoulder Surfing by Johnny Long.  Very useful, common sense ideas about security, hacking and data protection.
Anarchy for the Masses: The Disinfo Guide to The Invisibles.  Nice fluff reading to kick back with.

Brotep

Quote from: Cain on December 22, 2008, 05:27:11 PM
No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumpster Diving and Shoulder Surfing by Johnny Long.  Very useful, common sense ideas about security, hacking and data protection.

That sounds pretty cool.  Have you read Kevin Mitnick's Art of Deception?

VIDEODROME

Quote from: Antonymous on December 23, 2008, 04:12:02 AM

Name sounds familiar.  Wasn't he one of the first Hackers to get in deep shit for computer crimes and later switched sides?
The experiments will continue...    film at 11.

Cain

Quote from: Antonymous on December 23, 2008, 04:12:02 AM

Yeah.  He wrote an intro for this as well, so its pretty similar.

QuoteName sounds familiar.  Wasn't he one of the first Hackers to get in deep shit for computer crimes and later switched sides?

Pretty much.  He mostly relied on social engineering to get into various systems instead of technical expertise.

Brotep

Nice, what else you got in that library of yours (on this subject)?

Cain

Social engineering generally or hacking?

On the latter, I have:

Disruptive Security Technologies with Mobile Code and Peer-to-Peer networks by R. R. Brooks.
Computer Security. Privacy and Politics by Ramesh Subramanian
Dangerous Google: Searching for Secrets by Johnny Long (again)
Hacker Culture by Douglas Thomas
Hackers: Heroes of the computer revolution by Stephen Levy
The Strategy Behind Breaking into and Securing Networks by Susan Young and David Aeital
Best of 2600: A Hacker's Odyssey by Emmanuel Goldstein
TCP/IP Network Administration - O'Reilly
Essential System Administration - O'Reilly
Network Study Guide, 4th Edition
Teach Yourself Shell Programming for UNIX in 24 Hours
Demystifying Penetration Testing
Cyberwarfare: An analysis of the means and motivations of selected nation states by the Institute for Security Technology Studies at Dartmouth College
The Art of Intrusion - John Wiley
and a ton of papers on SQL injections, botnets, worms, trojans etc

As for social engineering, I prefer

CIA Human Resource Exploitation Manual
Army Field Manual 34-52 (Intelligence and Interrogation)
The User's Manual for the Brain by Richard Bandler
Absolute Magic by Derren Brown
Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown
Pure Effect by Derren Brown
Billion Dollar Bunko: How to cheat at everything by Simon Lovell
The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene
Get Anyone to Do Anything by David J Lieberman
The Mystery Method by Mystery
Rules of The Game by Neil Strauss
The Book of Tells by Peter Collet

Brotep

Derren Brown is great.  Not only is he really fun to read, he has some excellent insights.

VIDEODROME

Finished Weaveworld.  I did enjoy the ironic end to Shadwell. 

Now I'm reading "Paycheck and other stories" by Philip K. Dick

Also reading a How to Write Stories of Horror, Fantasy and Science Fiction book. 
The experiments will continue...    film at 11.

Triple Zero

i read Art of Deception from a textfile, it was a pretty good read. techniques are a bit outdated, especially the technical ones (old phone switching hardware etc, new ones are just as leaky but differently so), for the social scams maybe i'm too skeptical that people nowadays wouldn't buy the "hello this is tech support we need your password" scam anymore, but on the other hand, people prove to be more stupid than i expect, always.
but the anecdotes are entertaining and compelling either way.

cain, if you think No Tech Hacking is good, could you set me up a copy? [or, you said something about england checking more on uploaders, so if that's trouble, that's okay, i could probably find it myself too right]
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

I don't mind individual files, I'm just not going to do any collections for a while.

Also, I have one that someone else prepared earlier.

http://rapidshare.com/files/178566994/NoTechHack.rar

Also also, you may want to throw this on an RSS feed http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/security_info/hacking_hackers