News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: Burns on February 14, 2009, 06:52:09 PM
Quote from: Felix on February 14, 2009, 06:48:16 PM
Mind Performance Hacks was a good read.  Would people be interested in a recap thread?

actually yes... i think i read it a couple months ago. maybe it was just 'Mind Hacks'...regardless go ahead.

Mind Hacks was the more theoretical precursor.  This one involves practical examples of brain improvement.  I'll do one today.

Bu🤠ns

i think i might have both.  i'll get them out if you do.

Jasper

On second thought, this book, upon reflection, is probably a troll.  It wants me to talk to myself and learn morse code.

Xooxe

Quote from: Cain on February 05, 2009, 03:15:44 PMThompson, Janice E, Mercenaries, Pirates and Sovereigns: State-Building and Extraterritorial Violence in Early Modern Europe, Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1994

Now THAT sounds fascinating.

I've just started reading Human Action by Ludwig von Mises. I don't class myself as libertarian or anything, I'm just curious.

zen_magick

For some reason I seem to be reading a lot of erotica at the moment.  People keep giving it to me.

Alan Moore's Lost Girls - freakin' awesome

The Best Bi-sexual Women's Erotica - good stuff very spank worthy

and last night a friend handed me Georges Bataille's Story of the Eye so far so good, hehehe

Blow my Mind or Blow Me!

Iason Ouabache

I have found an e-book copy of Lee Strobel's "The Case for a Creator".  I really need someone to talk me out of reading it.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Quote from: Iason Asshat on February 18, 2009, 10:14:57 PM
I have found an e-book copy of Lee Strobel's "The Case for a Creator".  I really need someone to talk me out of reading it.

Read it and die.

zen_magick

three chapters into Bataille's "Story of the Eye" and I'm begining to think there's just NOT ENOUGH urine in my sex life!!  :eek:
Blow my Mind or Blow Me!

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Felix on February 18, 2009, 10:18:05 PM

Read it and die.
Is this a threat or a dare?

I've made it halfway through the first chapter and I can already tell that it's going to an army of strawmen and the teleological argument repeated about a dozen times.  Why am I wasting my time on this?
    \

Jasper

Quote from: Iason Asshat on February 19, 2009, 01:20:43 AM

Read it and die.

I've made it halfway through the first chapter and I can already tell that it's going to an army of strawmen and the teleological argument repeated about a dozen times.  Why am I wasting my time on this?

You asked for someone to talk you out of it, don't get all offended. :)

Why are you wasting your time on it?

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Felix on February 19, 2009, 01:24:48 AM
Quote from: Iason Asshat on February 19, 2009, 01:20:43 AM

Read it and die.

You asked for someone to talk you out of it, don't get all offended. :)

Why are you wasting your time on it?
It's the same reason I read the first chapter of Ann Coulter's "Godless".  I'm a glutton for punishment. 

I'm already bailing out of this book because in chapter 2 because he mentioned micro vs. macro evolution and Haeckel's drawing.  If this is just the standard Creationist bullshit then I already know how the story ends.
    \

Jasper

Cain

Quote from: Xooxe on February 18, 2009, 05:13:04 AM
Quote from: Cain on February 05, 2009, 03:15:44 PMThompson, Janice E, Mercenaries, Pirates and Sovereigns: State-Building and Extraterritorial Violence in Early Modern Europe, Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1994

Now THAT sounds fascinating.

I've just started reading Human Action by Ludwig von Mises. I don't class myself as libertarian or anything, I'm just curious.

Its alright.  Lots of world system/critical theory talk about the shop, but once you get past that, it has some meat.  Could have been better though.

Ah, Von Mises.  So crazy even Hayek thought he was scary.

Phineas T. Poxwattle

Quote"The generation of North Americans born between 1965 and 1980-- in Canadian writer Hal Nietdzviecki's coinage, the "Malaise Generation"-- seems to have pretty much given up hope that any good will come of this place called Earth. Taken as a group (and there are of course some exceptional overachievers within this group--exceptions which prove the rule), this generation represents the biggest waste of potential energy, passion, creativity and intellect in our time. This generation, which in primitive societies would have done the bulk of the tribe's work, has voluntarily removed itself from the collective effort because . . . Hey, waht's the point?

Slackers spend days on end sharpening their sardonic edge on the whetstone fo apathy. They philosophize on the maening of a Kraft Dinner, they fish Hush Puppies from the discount bins of Wal Mart, or, in a birst of inspiration, they issue zines with names like A.d.i.d.a.s. (All Day I dream About Suicide). To slackers, the worst crime is to admit to being committed to anything, becasue then you appear earnet, and earnest ain't ironic. It ain't cool. So maybe it's just better to drift down to Santa Monica, to "sit beside the ocean and watch the world die."

Culture Jam, Kalle Lasn

Pariah

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Again.
I need some more books.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!