News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fomenter

"48 laws of power",
i am finally getting around to it because i found this http://btjunkie.org/torrent/pdflrfwin-0-99-PDF-to-LRF-Converter-for-Sony-Reader-pdflrf/448665a738cec7e413e4773deb94f5098b19787e58e7
there may be better pdf to lrf converters out there  (Sony 500-505 format) but they are hard to find or need programing expertise to use.
i will be reading "Darren brown tricks of the mind" next, another book who's pdf format needed conversion to be readable.

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

fomenter

i am still looking for a working pdf to text converter... so far the freeware i have tried doesn't work and the demo versions of commercial software either don't work or are so restricted it is impossible to tell if they work, if any body knows of a good program i would love to hear it, i am tired of seizing up my computer testing junk freeware and wasting my time testing commercial software that is to restricted to test..
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

LMNO

Have you tried Stanza?

It's what I use to make PDFs readable on the Kindle.

http://www.lexcycle.com/

Jasper

I'm in the middle of rereading "Eisenhorn", some WH40K fic.

Even though it's from 40K, I've come to really appreciate it.  It's got great pulp themes like detective work, the wild west, and individualistic heroism, but it's written in the British sci-fi tradition of using the setting as a vehicle for intelligent social commentary.

Reeducation

I'm reading the Tibetan Book of The Dead, The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Doors of Perception.
I am very calm

Thurnez Isa

"Protoevangelium of James"

now the church can officially call me a heretic
:thumb:
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cain

Slavoj Zizek - Welcome to the Desert of the Real: Five Essays on September 11th and Similar Dates
David Campbell - Writing Security: United States Foreign Policy and the Politics of Identity.

Xooxe

The Rough Guide to The Brain - Barry J Gibb

LMNO

Finished The Chicken Cabala.

Just loaded The Trial, You Are Being Lied To, The Hagakure, The God Delusion, and The Mass Psychology of Fascism onto my Hitchhiker's Guide.

Cain

Although all things are not to be judged in this manner, I mention it in the investigation of the Way of the Samurai. When the time comes, there is no moment for reasoning. And if you have not done your inquiring beforehand , there is most often shame. Reading books and listening to people's talk are for the purpose of prior resolution. 
Above all, the Way of the Samurai should be in being aware that you do not know what is going to happen next, and in querying every item day and night. Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstances.

LMNO

Are you implying the Hagakure is written in Engrish?

Cain

No, but some of its translations certainly come across that way, on the first read.

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO on March 17, 2009, 12:47:28 PM
Finished The Chicken Cabala.

Mangrove pointed that out to me last year. I was quite curious about Cabalah and picked it up. (okay fine I pirated it and printed out the pdf)
Would you say that was a good intro?

I found it very interesting, but found it difficult to see to the various numeric concordances as much more than pattern-finding exercises. I was unable to glean much from this past the lessons of the Law of 5s. Am I doing it wrong?

Cramulus

Second Question:

You've posted about your dislike for Castaneda. Something about him selling fiction as mysticism I gather? The search function did not reveal any postings on the matter. Anyway, how is that different from Lon Milo using his fictional Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford, even if Lon Milo is a bit more tongue-in-cheek about it?

LMNO

I'd say it was a good intro for Discordians and their ilk.  It's a friendly way to describe a new model for arranging the way you look at the universe/yourself.

The number correspondences are indeed Lo5, but the Tree of Life is surprisingly resiliant when it comes to structuring different aspects of thought or existence. 

I must add, however... have you ever taken Lo5 as deeply as he suggests?  The main point he's trying to make is that (in this model) there are 4 states of existence, with Intelligent Rational thought (Rauch) only being the second highest, just above Animal Thought.  But your brain is so powerful it gets in the way of seeing the next two states.  So you use high volumes of highly concentrated Lo5, and overload Rauch completly. 

It's like the classic musical example of Eno versus Fripp.  Eno decided to try not to learn, and to even unlearn anything about music theory, or what songs "should" sound like, so he could create from a blank slate; it took him years to get to that point.  Fripp decided to learn every single thing he could about music theory, so the entirety of options were available to him.  They both reached the same goal, but went about it in different ways.

So, you could say that some kinds of "Zen" meditation are aimed at emptying the mind, which when stilled, allows for enlightenment.  Conversley, Kaballah mounts a DOS attack on the rational parts of the brain, which collapses, allowing for enlightenment.

As to your second question, Lon never really tried to pass Rabbi Clifford off as a real person.  The tongue-in-cheek-ness points to Lon using LBC as a device rather than a hoax.  Add to that Lon actually being a scholar and adept in esoteric mysticism rather than a hack trying to create a pastiche of new-age Noble-Savageness, and I think you'll understand why I don't really equate the two.