News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fomenter

just finished - the easy way to stop smoking    by allen carr

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: Cain on April 05, 2009, 02:43:25 PM
I'm reading The Runaway : The Chronicles of a Spy in Medieval Europe during the Reign of Louis XI of France by Thierry Bontoux.  Its research for my own fantasy deconstruction story I've mentioned before.  I only hope he put as much research into espionage as he seems to have of the political situation in France at the time.

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on April 05, 2009, 10:08:25 AM
Just started Regenesis by CJ Cherryh and it's already fantastic.  I don't understand how nobody's heard of her, she's definitely the best sci fi writer I've ever read.

Sounds like a recommendation to me.  A few of her books seem to be on Demonoid, though I cannot see Regenesis among them.  Either way, I'll certainly check her stuff out

It's a sequel, you have to read at minimum Cyteen and ideally Downbelow Station and Merchanter's Luck to really understand what's going on.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Cain

Amazingly, I have downloaded...none of those books at all.

All I've found is:

Forty Thousand in Gehenna
Hestia
Rider at the Gate
The Goblin Mirror
Finity's End
Serpent's Reach
Tripoint
The Sword of Knowlegde - Omnibus

Oh, and the Foreigners series, which I'll download if I like the above.  If I ever get around to reading them.

BADGE OF HONOR

Forty Thousand in Gehenna: part of Cyteen universe, very good
Hestia: never heard of it
Rider at the Gate: not part of that universe, but good
The Goblin Mirror: haven't read it, probably bad
Finity's End: part of that universe, good, will help you understand what's happened
Serpent's Reach: can't remember if I've read it
Tripoint: part of Cyteen universe
The Sword of Knowlegde - Omnibus: I think I've read some of it, it's bad

She's not a very good fantasy author, unfortunately.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

Actually when I said Merchanter's Luck I actually meant Finity's End.  I'm not sure how much you'd be able to understand without reading Downbelow Station though.

Fucking trashed God Emperor of Doom.

Just finished:

Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson (my favorite of his so far)

&

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (much much better than Neverwhere)

Working up the balls to start on Gravity's Rainbow

Corvidia

Quote from: Z³ on April 07, 2009, 07:28:39 PM

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (much much better than Neverwhere)
Agreed.
Quote from: Z³ on April 07, 2009, 07:28:39 PM
Working up the balls to start on Gravity's Rainbow
:lol: GOOOD LUCK! I got halfway through it and I haven't ballsed up enough again to finish it. It's pretty daunting.

Slogging through Twilight again.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Cain

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on April 06, 2009, 03:15:01 AM
Finity's End: part of that universe, good, will help you understand what's happened

Yeah, I decided to check her via TVTropes and they said her sci-fi stuff is certainly better.  Apparently she does the whole "aliens who are actually alien, not humans with silly names and special powers" thing quite well.

Looks like I'll be starting with the Cyteen universe stuff then.  Thanks!

QuoteSlogging through Twilight again.

Damn, I really need to get on with this as well.  Difficult, when I have books on fascism and political psychology begging to be read.  Argh.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just started The Emperor of Scent and then Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies arrived! Now I'm so torn.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Corvidia

I've dropped it for the time being. There's only so many times I can deal with sparkling vampires before I want to pluck my own eye balls out.

Swapped to The Essential Rumi. I loooove Rumi so it's a fantastic change.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Pariah

Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on April 09, 2009, 08:11:46 PM

Yeah, I decided to check her via TVTropes and they said her sci-fi stuff is certainly better.  Apparently she does the whole "aliens who are actually alien, not humans with silly names and special powers" thing quite well.

Indeed. In the Chanur Saga, one species of alien has a multipart brain and only speaks in seven-part matrix sentences, so even when the words are translated it's still barely intelligible. Another species can't be communicated with at all, but still engages in trade.

Requia ☣

Started reading Cyteen, (along with The Prince and Learning Perl), its good, if a tiny bit dry (though given my other reading habits right now...).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Sister_Gothique

Let's see..since I last posted: Finished the third book in the White Rose series (I actually liked it a lot)....Good Omens (LOVED it)...poked at Dune and am probably going to move onto End Of The Century by Chris Roberson.
I'm the new "God's Will"...Soon it'll be, "Oh, I can't be held accountable for THAT, Sister Gothique made me do it!"

Epimetheus

I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land, and also reading Slaughterhouse-Five. I am loving both.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS