PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on June 08, 2009, 04:24:56 AM
Them's the breaks.

Them's the asswipes at Microsoft who decided not to fucking zip the file.

They are the FIRST bastards against the wall, come the revolution.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 08, 2009, 04:35:57 AM

Them's the asswipes at Microsoft who decided not to fucking zip the file.

They are the FIRST bastards against the wall, come the revolution.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft employees are among the primary targets for most revolutionary efforts. You may do well to make an alliance.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Wizard

QuoteI'm pretty sure Microsoft employees are among the primary targets for most revolutionary efforts. You may do well to make an alliance.

True. Everyone wants them dead. Call my dad, he'll do the deed himself.
Insanity we trust.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on June 08, 2009, 04:51:25 AM
QuoteI'm pretty sure Microsoft employees are among the primary targets for most revolutionary efforts. You may do well to make an alliance.

True. Everyone wants them dead. Call my dad, he'll do the deed himself.

21 minutes remaining.

5 minutes ago, it had 7 minutes remaining.  Those bastards are taking the piss.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

The Good Reverend Roger

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 08, 2009, 04:03:51 AM
Fucking users manual for this new "Zune" thingie.

All this shit for a fucking walkman?  WTF?

Don't you have to pay monthly for that thing?  Some of the features, like being able to buy songs off the radio, seem pretty damn cool, but I have to say, the subscription fee is, for me, a big incentive to not bother.  I'm a pay-as-you-go kinda guy.

Oh yeah, reading.  Um, Andrew J Bacevich's The New American Militarism.

Pretty good, actually.  Bacevich reminds me of that guy who writes for the American Conservative, Daniel Larison.  Seem to have very similar viewpoints on the overreliance on military force as a tool of diplomacy, ie; that it is stupid.  Also doesn't really get caught up in the partisan bullshit that surrounds most foreign policy debates (he disparages both Carter and Reagan, and supported Obama in the last election, and considers himself a Catholic conservative). 

Triple Zero

Software? That sucks, if you can't simply plug it into your computer just like it's a USBstick or external HD to simply copy MP3s on it, I dont care what features it has but I doesnt need it :)

myself I'm looking at one of these Iriver thingies by Samsumg, as long as they meet this requirement, they're the only ones I've seen that have support for OGG audio (which is what I decided to rip the larger part of my CD collection to, for better quality and because of patent issues with MP3 encoding back in the days)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Most of them seem to come with software.  Naturally, the industry giants are the most guilty here.  My Zen player wasn't too bad...install the CD software, plug in the device and the rest is pretty intuitive and obvious to get the music on.  But it could have been less.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 08, 2009, 12:58:27 PM
Software? That sucks, if you can't simply plug it into your computer just like it's a USBstick or external HD to simply copy MP3s on it, I dont care what features it has but I doesnt need it :)

On *nix and macs, nearly everything shows up as a USB drive, even if it won't run without software on windows. The exception seems to be anything made by sony and (probably) the zune. That said, Microsoft would have been better off just making the zune show up as a USB drive everywhere except windows -- they are just regulating the market to windows users only, now, and non windows users aren't likely to pay monthly charges so they are just out the potential cash from sales.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Triple Zero

I thought the iPod required a bunch of extra stuff to install as well on *nix, no?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I dunno. I've never connected an iPod to any of my machines. That said, even relatively expensive name brand stuff (aside from the Sony one) tends to register as a thumbdrive. I know that the iPod requires some software to do the DRM and iTunes music store crap, but I have no idea whether or not it will play music that hasn't been run through that. Presumably, since the whole thumbdrive thing is quick and easy and pretty standard (and thus, really cheap to design and develop around as a core -- you can have whatever formfactor and interface you want, and just use firmware for rendering the stuff on the flash chip in the desired manner, so my $99 mp3/video/ebook/watch had a system like that despite all the junk that went around it) anybody who doesn't do it is either dumb or has a lot to gain by not being compatible. Microsoft probably believes itself to fall into the latter category. Sony, IMO, falls into the former (hence the otherwise beautiful machine being effectively scrapped and barely heard of these days).

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on June 08, 2009, 09:18:34 AM

Don't you have to pay monthly for that thing?  Some of the features, like being able to buy songs off the radio, seem pretty damn cool, but I have to say, the subscription fee is, for me, a big incentive to not bother.  I'm a pay-as-you-go kinda guy.
There are options to either download an unlimited* number of songs per month or you can buy them individually for about $.99.  I have never bought a song off of the Zune software ever though. I just download mp3s the usual way and never have any problems putting them on my Zune.

*- You don't get to keep the songs permanently. If you stop your subscription then the songs go bye-bye.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on June 09, 2009, 05:17:10 AM
Quote from: Cain on June 08, 2009, 09:18:34 AM

There are options to either download an unlimited* number of songs per month or you can buy them individually for about $.99.  I have never bought a song off of the Zune software ever though. I just download mp3s the usual way and never have any problems putting them on my Zune.

*- You don't get to keep the songs permanently. If you stop your subscription then the songs go bye-bye.

Ah.  Yeah, that was what I was thinking of.  Well, so long as the other way is also an option.