News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Still working through Angel Tech. Also, went back and picked up B Frantzis - Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body. I'm doing an analytical read this time, with the 8-circuit system in mind and seeing chi work as psychosomatics. Still working through L Rue - Religion is not about God.

Also reading:

Spinoza - Works
J Lockwood - Six-Legged Soldiers: Using Insects as Weapons of War
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Kai on July 10, 2009, 06:37:34 PM
Still working through Angel Tech. Also, went back and picked up B Frantzis - Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body. I'm doing an analytical read this time, with the 8-circuit system in mind and seeing chi work as psychosomatics. Still working through L Rue - Religion is not about God.

Also reading:

Spinoza - Works

Do you have anything to add about Angel Tech?

Kai

Quote from: B_R|S on July 10, 2009, 08:20:15 PM

Also reading:

Spinoza - Works

One of the most useful books "I've ever read" (as I'm still reading it). Based on Leary's 8-circuit system of consciousness, it aims to provide a system for reprograming your robotic nature and selecting your reality. I should also say that Ratatosk actually went to the trouble of purchasing it for me, and I subsequently suggested it to Richter and several other people.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Kai on July 10, 2009, 10:08:47 PM

Also reading:

Spinoza - Works

One of the most useful books "I've ever read" (as I'm still reading it). Based on Leary's 8-circuit system of consciousness, it aims to provide a system for reprograming your robotic nature and selecting your reality. I should also say that Ratatosk actually went to the trouble of purchasing it for me, and I subsequently suggested it to Richter and several other people.

Oh i read it twice. :) i was just wondering if you had any opinions about it.  I'm also curious as to how it works within your model of emergence.

Kai

Quote from: B_R|S on July 10, 2009, 10:14:26 PM
Quote from: Kai on July 10, 2009, 10:08:47 PM

Also reading:

Spinoza - Works

Oh i read it twice. :) i was just wondering if you had any opinions about it.  I'm also curious as to how it works within your model of emergence.

Oh lol. Consciousness is a system emergent from biology, thus based in biology and not violating biological rules but also a completely different system and following other rules as well. Angel Tech's first four circuits are survival circuits, required for humans as aspects of the consciousness system to continue (in the same way that metabolism is required to continue Life). These cover the physical, emotional, symbolic and social aspects of consciousness. The higher circuits are just extentions of these basic ones, expanding them as far as they (1-4) will go. So, Angel Tech over all seeks to understand and explain the consciousness emergence system from within it, and provide tools for the participant to exploit it through the improvement of your ability to absorb understand and communicate information and/or energy. It fits in just fine with Emergence.

I also need to remember that the 8-circuit system is only one map of many, and to really exploit the circuits I should be able to switch maps around at will, suited to the situation.

Bu🤠ns

That's pretty cool...would you agree with Leary's space migration ideas as a possibility for the continued process of emergence or do you see it going in a different direction?

Rococo Modem Basilisk

For what it's worth (and I don't plan to derail the thread, but I figured I'd mention this since it fits in the discussion ATM) I think the idea that RAW has occasionally mentioned offhand that circuits 5-8 are caused by the interaction of circuits 1-4 on different levels of self-referentiality or self-awareness is interesting, and that it makes more sense to me than the canon interpretation expoused by both RAW and Leary (which Angel Tech may or may not subscribe to) that these are in some sense pre-scripted or in explicit preparation for some future phenomena.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

Deleuze's Philosophical Lineage by Graham Jones and Jon Roffe

Cain

Its not too bad, actually.  It was also on the top of the pile of my imported library, so I read it last evening while everything else was being done.  The joys of a new computer means I have plenty to install.   Sample of the text:

QuoteIn Aristotle's schema, difference, in the form of specific difference, delineates identities within larger, indeterminate genera. The specific differentiae 'rational' and 'winged', for example, define the species 'man' and 'bird' within the genus 'animal'. These differentiae literally 'cut up' the genus, 'making the difference' between its various species by constituting their respective essences. As Deleuze says, 'genera are not divided into differences but divided by differences which give rise to corresponding species' (DR 31). Furthermore, differentia are all positive – negative predicates such as 'not-winged' cannot specify, as 'being not-winged' leaves completely open what a thing actually is – and so their relation to one another is a relation of contrariety. These contraries, functioning as specifying differences, demarcate the extreme forms that various species can take while remaining within the common identity of their genus: an animal can be bipedal, quadrupedal, winged, etc. For this reason, Aristotle declares contrariety to be the greatest and most perfect difference (DR 30–2).

As Deleuze notes, this is an entirely relative maximum, contrariety being maximal only with respect to the requirements Aristotle sets out for substantial identity (DR 31–2). Strictly speaking, contradiction – the relation between, say, 'existing' and 'not existing', where the second term cannot be given positive formulation and is the absolute negation of the first – is a greater difference than contrariety. But as contradictories cannot both be predicated of species within the same genus, they are imperfect and extraneous to defi nition and essence (DR 31–2).

A certain kind of modern 'orgiastic' or 'infinite representation', exemplified by Hegelian dialectics, goes beyond Aristotle's formulation, holding that contradiction or opposition is compatible with identity and is therefore the greatest difference (DR 44–6, 49–50). For Hegel, a thing's identity is indeed constituted by its negative or contradictory relations to what it is not. Yet because both organic and orgiastic  representation analyse difference in terms of its compatibility with identity, Deleuze holds both approaches to stand convicted of never
reaching 'difference in itself'.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Cain on July 12, 2009, 03:53:43 PM
Its not too bad, actually.  It was also on the top of the pile of my imported library, so I read it last evening while everything else was being done.  The joys of a new computer means I have plenty to install.   Sample of the text:

QuoteIn Aristotle's schema, difference, in the form of specific difference, delineates identities within larger, indeterminate genera. The specific differentiae 'rational' and 'winged', for example, define the species 'man' and 'bird' within the genus 'animal'. These differentiae literally 'cut up' the genus, 'making the difference' between its various species by constituting their respective essences. As Deleuze says, 'genera are not divided into differences but divided by differences which give rise to corresponding species' (DR 31). Furthermore, differentia are all positive – negative predicates such as 'not-winged' cannot specify, as 'being not-winged' leaves completely open what a thing actually is – and so their relation to one another is a relation of contrariety. These contraries, functioning as specifying differences, demarcate the extreme forms that various species can take while remaining within the common identity of their genus: an animal can be bipedal, quadrupedal, winged, etc. For this reason, Aristotle declares contrariety to be the greatest and most perfect difference (DR 30–2).

As Deleuze notes, this is an entirely relative maximum, contrariety being maximal only with respect to the requirements Aristotle sets out for substantial identity (DR 31–2). Strictly speaking, contradiction – the relation between, say, 'existing' and 'not existing', where the second term cannot be given positive formulation and is the absolute negation of the first – is a greater difference than contrariety. But as contradictories cannot both be predicated of species within the same genus, they are imperfect and extraneous to defi nition and essence (DR 31–2).

A certain kind of modern 'orgiastic' or 'infinite representation', exemplified by Hegelian dialectics, goes beyond Aristotle's formulation, holding that contradiction or opposition is compatible with identity and is therefore the greatest difference (DR 44–6, 49–50). For Hegel, a thing's identity is indeed constituted by its negative or contradictory relations to what it is not. Yet because both organic and orgiastic  representation analyse difference in terms of its compatibility with identity, Deleuze holds both approaches to stand convicted of never
reaching 'difference in itself'.

Is that something like:

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cainad (dec.)

Sway: the Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Ori and Rom Brafman.

This is a very accessible, very easy read on a whole bunch of things most of us are already aware of. For the most part, it reinforces the idea that our preconceived notions strongly influence the way we perceive just about everything (big surprise, right?) by giving a bunch of examples. Loss aversion, value attribution, diagnostic bias, etc.

Not much new material here, but chock full of good examples of people's BIPs having a drastic effect on what they think is real and it's an easy read for people who don't enjoy wading through heavy jargon.

Ratonderio

Conversations on the Edge of Apocalypse - David Jay Brown  Contains RAW, Noam Chomsky, Ram Dass, George Carlin etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Conversations-Edge-Apocalypse-Contemplating-Sheldrake/dp/1403965323

Also Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl because Poker Without Cards told me to.
http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meaning-Viktor-Frankl/dp/0671023373

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven by some chick

It's pretty funny. She tries too hard to set up anticipation/apprehension though.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Bayou of Pigs.

ECH might find this interesting, its about the attempted Neo-Nazi coup on Dominica in 1981.

Brotep

Mimesis - The Representation of Reality in Western Literature
by Erich Auerbach

like a boss