News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Finally finished angel tech not too long ago. I swear, this must be one of those books Adler and van Doren would say is at the top of my book pyramid, that every time I go back the book has grown with information.

Did a brief inspectional read of J Gribbin - Deep Simplicity and Amsier - The Languages of Creativity. The former was notable in having a chapter mostly on Emergence and Stuart Kauffman, though from his earlier works and not Reinventing the Sacred. Also read Preston and Child - Cemetery Dance, the new Pendergast novel. Was quite good (one of the classic main characters is killed off in the first few pages; these guys don't fuck around with plot).

Reading Currently:

Close - The Void
Six Legged Soldiers
RAW - Prometheus Rising
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bu🤠ns

Kai

Reading RAW - Prometheus Rising, now.

Soon to be starting:

E Abby - Desert Solitare (something a very dear friend recommended last year when I was still reeling from Childs - The Secret Knowledge of Water)
Homer - Odyssey (Sing to me, O Muse...)
CR Hyde - Pay it Forward (saw the movie, never read the book)
EL Doctorow - City of God (I think H Bloom has this on his reading list in the back of The Western Cannon)
J London - Call of the Wild (Read it years ago, don't remember)
J Grisham - The Street Lawyer (probably my favorite lawyer novel, after The Client)
D Koontz (some throwaway thriller I can't remember the title. should be entertaining.)

The last five were all in a package from me mum.

Classes start next Wednesday.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Cain

In Their Own Words: Voices of Jihad, compiled by David Aaron (Jihadist statements on a number of issues, helpfully catergorised)
Fiasco, by Thomas E. Ricks (the Iraq war, a behind the scenes examination of a clusterfuck)
The Virtuous Life in Greek Ethics, by Burkhard Reis, editor (self-explanatory)

Pariah

Quote from: Kai on August 13, 2009, 06:45:51 PM
E Abby - Desert Solitare (something a very dear friend recommended last year when I was still reeling from Childs - The Secret Knowledge of Water)

That's the next on my list. Right now I'm reading The Fool's Progress, also by Abbey
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Kai

Quote from: Pir Pariah on August 14, 2009, 12:29:44 AM

That's the next on my list. Right now I'm reading The Fool's Progress, also by Abbey

I just started [Desert Solitaire] this afternoon. It's seriously an orgasmic read, just, mmmmmmmmmmmm. Just something about his description that gets me breathing faster and giggling to myself. Very pleasurable.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 06, 2009, 08:44:58 AM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 30, 2009, 12:48:21 AM
Small Gods - Terry Pratchett. 

Only about a third of the way through but it's already my favorite Discworld novel. There are some extremely interesting concepts in it.

it's awesome, one of the best. I like Thief of Time slightly better but this one is a very close second.

Thief of Time is brilliant. Im partial to anything of his containing the Nac Mac Feegle.. "Nae Laird, Nae Master, Nae King, Nae Quin.. We'll nae be fooled agin!" 

They kinda remind me of Payne.

Pariah

Quote from: Kai on August 14, 2009, 01:21:00 AM
Quote from: Pir Pariah on August 14, 2009, 12:29:44 AM

I just started [Desert Solitaire] this afternoon. It's seriously an orgasmic read, just, mmmmmmmmmmmm. Just something about his description that gets me breathing faster and giggling to myself. Very pleasurable.

This book is the same sort of way. I hardly ever laugh out loud at reading but shit this guy is funny.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Iason Ouabache

Bruce M. Hood - Supersense: Why We Believe in the Unbelievable

Pretty good so far. Reminds me a lot of "Breaking the Spell" which I loved to death. The difference in them is that with "Breaking the Spell" I learned why people believe in stupid shit. With "Supersense" I'm realizing that I believe in stupid shit too, there's probably no way to avoid believing in stupid, and life would probably suck if you did.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Richter

Thanks to work my brain has enough seriousness at the end of each day.  Comparison / annotation of PR / Angel Tech is getting sidelined in favor of Eisenhorn.  (For the Emperor!)
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Eater of Clowns

Thief of Time - Terry Pratchett

Picked it up today after resounding recommendation.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Government of the Shadows: Parapolitics and Criminal Sovereignty by Eric Wilson and Tim Lindsey

Apparently, parapolitics is now an actual academic discipline, which I must admit finding interesting.  Apparently, with the fallout of the whole Gladio thing in the 90s, and more info on MK-Ultra, Mafia informants etc coming to light, academics wanted to study it, but didn't have the conceptual and analytic tools to go about it.  This book seems to show some progress on getting those, and putting them into practice.  Its actually very good, I will likely quote from it and build on it later.

Nomads, Empires, States: Modes of Foreign Relations and Political Economy, Volume 1 by Kees van der Pijl

IR theoretical text, you know the drill.

the last yatto

almost done with TCI, WOW just wow i need to reread it again

and next is
Gods in the global village
or the world's religions in sociological perspective
by Lester Kurtz

wip is finally reading tao of pooh
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Pope Pixie Pickle

Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis.

LMNO

That one kind of disappointed me.  I guess I was looking for something more.