News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

I'll be sure to share that with him when I see him on Thursday. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

I just finished The Family.  Now I have fundamentalist insanity in my memories, and it wont go away.

LMNO

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 15, 2009, 02:51:43 PM
For once I have something to contribute to this thread.

I am starting to read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

It's kinda work related.  I'm going on this retreat/excursion thing out on one of the Maine islands with a local health coalition.  We're going to have a mini book-club where we discuss the introduction and 1st chapter with the author. 

Anyway, the book is centered around this idea of "Tipping Points", where a concurrence of events on the margins combine to enact a large scale and sudden change on something.  In the intro the two examples given are the crime rate in a couple of Brooklyn neighborhoods and the resurgence of the Hush Puppies shoe brand.  Back in the mid/late 90s the Hush Puppy shoe brand was on the way out.  Nobody but a few die-hards in their 50s wore them.  But, some kids from SoHo started wearing them.  A couple of clothing designers picked up on this and had models wear them as accessories to compliment their clothing lines.  It picked up from there and all of a sudden Hush Puppies were the rage with the couture crowd. 

It's a pretty interesting book and I'll share any other pertinent nuggets as I move through the book. 

Jesus Monkeybutt Crisco, I just opened this thread to say I'm reading the same book, and this was the first new post I read.

There is distinct overlap with some of the stuff dealt with in Art of Memetics, but without the brain-straining jargon. This pleases me.

Pariah

Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

LMNO

Quote from: Broken AI on September 23, 2009, 07:02:43 AM
everything I can lay my hands on about goldfish & Betta fish.

They go well with white wine and garlic butter.

Jenne

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2009, 03:30:27 PM
I just finished The Family.  Now I have fundamentalist insanity in my memories, and it wont go away.

fuckit.  I'm buying this book today, reading it, and then passing it around to my whole famdamily.

LMNO

You can probably find a pdf of it on a torrent somewhere.

Jenne

I have folks that are allergic to reading on a computer.

Cain

You make Baby Jesus-plus-Nothing cry when you undermine capitalism, anyway.

Jenne

Well, I want to eventually send it to my dad...so getting an actual physical book is necessary on that front...

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on September 23, 2009, 03:38:46 PM
You make Baby Jesus-plus-Nothing cry when you undermine capitalism, anyway.

That phrase will haunt me for weeks.

It's like a summary of everything I find badwrong about those fuckers.

Dimocritus

"Rappacinni's Daughter" a short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

"Resistance, Rebellion and Death" Albert Camus.

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Cain

David Weber - On Basilisk Station

The first of his Honor Harrington series, which is meant to be pretty good military sci-fi, at least according to TV Tropes.  Also all the books except the most recent one are legally available for free download by the author, which is a plus.  Can be a little strawman political at times (conservatives = bad, liberals = bad, concerned and noble centrists = good) but otherwise not bad, so far.

Nuclear Risk Reduction in South Asia - Henry L Stimson

Pertinent reading, considering recent events.  Goes into a lot of detail about how political insecurity between India and Pakistan is fuelling the likelihood of nuclear war breaking out.

Telarus

Quote from: Cainad on September 23, 2009, 02:32:19 AM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 15, 2009, 02:51:43 PM
For once I have something to contribute to this thread.

I am starting to read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

It's kinda work related.  I'm going on this retreat/excursion thing out on one of the Maine islands with a local health coalition.  We're going to have a mini book-club where we discuss the introduction and 1st chapter with the author. 

Anyway, the book is centered around this idea of "Tipping Points", where a concurrence of events on the margins combine to enact a large scale and sudden change on something.  In the intro the two examples given are the crime rate in a couple of Brooklyn neighborhoods and the resurgence of the Hush Puppies shoe brand.  Back in the mid/late 90s the Hush Puppy shoe brand was on the way out.  Nobody but a few die-hards in their 50s wore them.  But, some kids from SoHo started wearing them.  A couple of clothing designers picked up on this and had models wear them as accessories to compliment their clothing lines.  It picked up from there and all of a sudden Hush Puppies were the rage with the couture crowd. 

It's a pretty interesting book and I'll share any other pertinent nuggets as I move through the book. 

Jesus Monkeybutt Crisco, I just opened this thread to say I'm reading the same book, and this was the first new post I read.

There is distinct overlap with some of the stuff dealt with in Art of Memetics, but without the brain-straining jargon. This pleases me.

I'm reading through Outliers right now. He has an interesting writing style.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!