News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Oh, I forgot to add: Honor Harrington is basically Horatio Hornblower IN SPACE!

Which explains quite a lot, actually.

LMNO

I'm reading Neal Stephenson's "Anathem", thanks to Cain.

It's another huge book of speculative (science-ish) fiction, but I feel it's much better written than "Quicksilver".  Maybe I just like the subject matter better.

Anyway, I'd reccomend it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Nothing at the moment.

But I just spent $320 buying everything ever done by Warren Ellis that I don't already have.  Amazon better get on the fucking stick, too.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Feel free to skim "Crooked Little Vein".  Interesting descriptions, but not much guts behind it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 28, 2009, 08:37:22 AM

I tried that series, but it involves a telepathic cat, so it gets the TGRR Dented Wall Award.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 26, 2009, 07:07:04 PM
Feel free to skim "Crooked Little Vein".  Interesting descriptions, but not much guts behind it.

Already read it.  You're right...the word play is amazing, but the story is as thin as Karen Carpenter.

But again, the writing style buys a lot.

Eater of Clowns

Read recently:

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Rabbit, Run by John Updike

Now reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 26, 2009, 07:07:18 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 28, 2009, 08:37:22 AM

I tried that series, but it involves a telepathic cat, so it gets the TGRR Dented Wall Award.

I'm surprised the political strawmen didn't do you in first.  David Weber really, really, REALLY likes centrists.  And really hates liberals, progressives, conservatives, republicans and any sort of welfare state.

Cain

Oh, forgot to add, reading:

The Invisible Hook: Economics of Piracy
A Very Short Introduction to Dada and Surrealism
The Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion

rygD

Cain, are those last two worthwhile for someone already familiar with the material covered?  Looking at amazon  says The Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion is not out, but seems I may enjoy it, however for that price There are some other books I have wanted that are in very limited supply.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Cain

The VSI series always makes good introductory material, but if you're already familiar with the subject it is covering, then chances are it will be merely enjoyable reading.

Are you sure it's not out yet, the Religion and Psychology Encyclopedia?  It's the Springer version.  I'm only a little way through, but it seems interesting enough, contrasting religious themes like the sacrafice of Abraham, or Adam and Eve, with psychoanalytic, Jungian and (sometimes) other psychological explanations.  I'm not entirely convinced by those particular schools as bodies of thought, but when thinking about religious symbology and themes I suppose they are useful enough.  It's also fairly lengthy, with over a thousand pages.

Cain

Oops, dropping everything.  Slavoj Zizek has a new book out called "First As Tragedy, Then As Farce".  And its about the economic crisis, too.  Should be good, if a little pretentious (but then, that goes with the territory.  I mean, he even approvingly uses the New Republic quote about him being the most dangerous philospher in the west on the book cover).

Iason Ouabache

I'm about halfway through Jerry Coyne's "Why Evolution is True". It's mostly stuff I already knew but he goes into good detail on everything. The sections on biogeography and natural selection are particularly good.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I'm about halfway through PKD' The Martian Time-Slip, and I think I'm catching onto the foreshadowing.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2009, 10:14:56 PM
Oops, dropping everything.  Slavoj Zizek has a new book out called "First As Tragedy, Then As Farce".  And its about the economic crisis, too.  Should be good, if a little pretentious (but then, that goes with the territory.  I mean, he even approvingly uses the New Republic quote about him being the most dangerous philospher in the west on the book cover).

This was good.  I need to read it again.  It also reminded me that we need to saint Chairman Mao.