News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Uwachiquen

I'm currently reading the Belgariad series by David Eddings. I'm still on book one though, just haven't quite made it through the last quarter of the book. >_<

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Just finished The Enticing Madness of Metamind.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on November 07, 2009, 01:21:30 AM
I'm currently reading the Belgariad series by David Eddings. I'm still on book one though, just haven't quite made it through the last quarter of the book. >_<

You might find this site helpful in reading the book: tvtropes.org

The whole series was written after Eddings and his wife attended a creative writing course, with the aim of including as many fantasy tropes and cliches as possible.  It certainly succeeds, once you realize this.

Also, the Voice Of Prophecy is wonderfully sarcastic.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on November 07, 2009, 01:21:30 AM

The Belgariad was one of my favorite series as a kid. I haven't read it in a while and I was recently thinking about picking it up again. There is a second series that isn't as good, but worth a look. There's also a few stand-alone side books, too. The way they use magic in those books was really interesting, "The Will and the Word." Good stuff.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Cain

Smells Like Dead Elephants: Dispatches from a Rotting Empire By Matt Taibbi

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Where the Suckers Moon - The Life and Death of an Advertising Campaign by Randall Rothenberg

it's about how Subaru got established in the US.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

That One Guy

Unseen Academicals, the latest from Terry Pratchett. This one is going after soccer/football hooligans via Unseen University and has been very entertaining so far in the first 70 or so pages.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

LMNO

Damn.  And I had just finished arranging my bookcase in order to get all my Pratchett on one shelf...

Cain

Some of the reviews I've read said it was kinda middling ground for Pratchett.  Don't get me wrong, I'm going to read it, and probably enjoy it a lot, but the impression I got was that it was one of his more generic, messing around books and so lacked some of the clarity and biting wit of his more focused stories.

LMNO

So... download instead of purchase, then?

LMNO

Incidentally, the kindle version of this on Amazon is actually MORE than the hardcover.

Cain

I've put on my Xmas list (along with: E.H. Carr's The Twenty Year Crisis, Unfinest Hour by Brendan Simms, Voltaire's Bastards by John Ralston Saul, Stanley Hoffman's Chaos and Violence and The Breaking of Nations by Robert Cooper), but if it appears in the meantime I'll likely download it, too.

That One Guy

Yeah, so far I'd say it's middle-ground for Pratchett. Certainly not on par with, say, Night Watch or Thief of Time, but it's also using mostly new-to-the-book characters, which can put some people off as they're not getting another, say, Rincewind or Vimes story.

At this point, it just seems like Pratchett REALLY wanted to spoof soccer hooligans, and this is the story he came up with. Not terrible, not amazing, but a fun read so far. Admittedly, I'm just seeing the new-character development and the UU wizards are always fun to me, and the plot hasn't really started to kick in yet - the main pieces are just in place so things should start picking up shortly.

Quote from: LMNO on November 10, 2009, 06:51:04 PM
Damn.  And I had just finished arranging my bookcase in order to get all my Pratchett on one shelf...

Yeah, my Pratchett shelf is already overflowing, with Making Money (which I thought was excellent) sitting on top of all the paperbacks. And I'm still missing a few!  :D
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

-Kel-

I finally got around to reading American Psycho and I hate it!!! hate hate hate. And i usually love Bret Easton Eillis. But this sucks. The book would be great if he didn't repeat over and over what each character Bateman interacts with clothing, clothing fabric, color, designer, blah blah blah over and over. I know he's driving to hammer in the whole "this is all surface, i only care about surface, Bateman is nothing but a shell and therefor only sees the shells of other people." BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE, THE READER GETS THE POINT!!!  Get on with the violence and other humor pointing out things like that. I don't need it every bloody time. ugh. It has taken me three months to read this damn thing and im only half way threw it. When he's not going on and on about...."Libby is blond and wearing black grosgrain high-heeled evening shoes with exaggerated pointed toes and red stain bows by Yves Saint Laurent. daisy is....." there is actually some good writing, good black humor, and great violence. The book has now become a bathroom reader as it is the only time i can stand to open the stupid thing.  :argh!:

</RANT>

Freeky

Quote from: That One Guy on November 10, 2009, 07:15:51 PM
Yeah, my Pratchett shelf is already overflowing, with Making Money (which I thought was excellent) sitting on top of all the paperbacks. And I'm still missing a few!  :D

Oooo, I loved Making Money. My Pratchett collection was downsized by me going stir crazy in my old apartment and taking a lot of books to Bookmans (a store taht takes your crap and gives either money or credit for it). Have you read Nation? Didn't read the thread.