News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Kel-

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 13, 2009, 06:51:18 AM
I started reading Transmetropolitan about 12 hours ago.

I'm about to start Vol. 6.

Spider Jerusalem approves of this!!

Freeky

Dude has the tatoo on the wrong side.

And I'm on part three of volume 10!!!!!!! OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!

*spazplode*

Freeky

Fucking pimp ass. That was the best ending evar!

Captain Utopia

Quote from: LMNO on December 10, 2009, 02:21:11 PM
I suppose I need to start reading stuff like "Pregnancy for Dummies".
Meh, just do what comes naturally, you'll be fine. Bear in mind that you'll likely get more advice than you want, or can use due to contradictions, anyway.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: FP on December 15, 2009, 07:09:09 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 10, 2009, 02:21:11 PM
I suppose I need to start reading stuff like "Pregnancy for Dummies".
Meh, just do what comes naturally, you'll be fine. Bear in mind that you'll likely get more advice than you want, or can use due to contradictions, anyway.

Ahem:

Cain

Steven Erickson - Gardens of the Moon (by recommendation from TV Tropes)
Sarah Palin - Going Rogue (still)
Samuel P Huntingdon - The Clash Of the Civilizations (lol)
International Law (6th edition) - numerous authors (kill me now)

Jasper

Just finished reading Social Psychology 6th ed.  by Aronson, Wilson, and Akert.   Recommended very much, if textbooks on human behavior are your thing.

In my spare time I'm reading some Robert Rankin.  Fandom of the Operator. :D

Brotep

I am currently strapped into the audiobook of Why Beautiful People Have More Daughters, by Miller and Kanazawa.  It's a pop evolutionary psych book.  A little simplistic at times, but deliciously iconoclastic.

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 08, 2009, 10:34:54 PM
Making Up the Mind, How the Brain Creates our Mental World by Chris Frith. Interesting read so far and looks pretty short. He sorta reminds me of Oliver Sacks in a roundabout way.

Checking out the intro right now, it's kinda cute.  The bit about the hierarchy of science is so true...Physicists think they're sooooo cool.   :argh!:

LMNO

I'm reading another one of the Stackhouse Mysteries, to pass time until after Xmas, when I may be getting more books.  If I haven't gotten anything interesting, I'll be starting "House of Leaves".

It will be weird going back to paper, I think.

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO on December 16, 2009, 02:23:37 PM
I'm reading another one of the Stackhouse Mysteries, to pass time until after Xmas, when I may be getting more books.  If I haven't gotten anything interesting, I'll be starting "House of Leaves".

It will be weird going back to paper, I think.

Are you using something like a kindle, or just plain old internets? I'm just curious because I, personally, would rather have an actual bound copy of what ever I'm reading, but this kindle thing seems interesting and I was wondering if it was worth the investment.

Also, I can't imagine reading House of Leaves any other way. That guy does some really interesting things with the formatting, even if the content is a little tedious at times.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

LMNO

Kindle, I like it, and I'm reading HOL exactly because of the formatting.

Dimocritus

Quote from: LMNO on December 16, 2009, 08:07:57 PM

That's the only reason I picked it up, myself. As a gimmick, it's great, but I don't feel that it's written all that well. I'd be curious to hear your opinion. I'd say that there's a pretty good chance you may find something likable in there that I am overlooking.

Quote from: dimo on December 16, 2009, 08:33:06 PM

That's the only reason I picked it up, myself. As a gimmick, it's great, but I don't feel that it's written all that well. I'd be curious to hear your opinion. I'd say that there's a pretty good chance you may find something likable in there that I am overlooking.

I didn't care for House of Leaves over-much, but it was hyped up a lot to me before I read it.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Z³ on December 16, 2009, 09:20:25 PM
Quote from: dimo on December 16, 2009, 08:33:06 PM

I didn't care for House of Leaves over-much, but it was hyped up a lot to me before I read it.

It's a great concept, I just think it was implemented poorly.

It kinda' reminds me of a book I read called "Manifesto"(it had a blank white cover, no text whatsoever) that a friend insisted that I read. It starts off making you wonder how the whole thing was going to turn out, but before you even get to the end, you realize that it's just a bunch of self-absorbed, whiny tripe written by a rich kid that keeps throwing away opportunities that regular poor folk like myself would murder for.

Pariah

Quote from: dimo on December 16, 2009, 10:40:17 PM
It kinda' reminds me of a book I read called "Manifesto"(it had a blank white cover, no text whatsoever) that a friend insisted that I read. It starts off making you wonder how the whole thing was going to turn out, but before you even get to the end, you realize that it's just a bunch of self-absorbed, whiny tripe written by a rich kid that keeps throwing away opportunities that regular poor folk like myself would murder for.

I was wondering if anyone here had read that too. I was getting the same impression which is a shame because I kind of liked the writing style.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!