Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

Quote from: Pariah? on December 17, 2009, 03:06:15 AM
Quote from: dimo on December 16, 2009, 10:40:17 PM
It kinda' reminds me of a book I read called "Manifesto"(it had a blank white cover, no text whatsoever) that a friend insisted that I read. It starts off making you wonder how the whole thing was going to turn out, but before you even get to the end, you realize that it's just a bunch of self-absorbed, whiny tripe written by a rich kid that keeps throwing away opportunities that regular poor folk like myself would murder for.

I was wondering if anyone here had read that too. I was getting the same impression which is a shame because I kind of liked the writing style.

Same here. S'too bad. The complaining wouldn't have been so bad if it had an actual ending. 
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Brotep on December 16, 2009, 09:44:05 AM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 08, 2009, 10:34:54 PM
Making Up the Mind, How the Brain Creates our Mental World by Chris Frith. Interesting read so far and looks pretty short. He sorta reminds me of Oliver Sacks in a roundabout way.

Checking out the intro right now, it's kinda cute.  The bit about the hierarchy of science is so true...Physicists think they're sooooo cool.   :argh!:
It is a pretty good book so far (I'm about halfway through). Just like "Why Evolution is True", I keep getting the feeling that he is just repeating stuff I already knew but it would be a great entry point for anyone who wants to know what has happened in cognitive science during the last 50 years.

I think I need to pick something more challenging to read next time.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

LMNO

Wondering Monk

im just about to start reading "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" although im not sure reading is the right term for a comic? idk :s

LMNO

Quote from: Wondering Monk on December 20, 2009, 09:33:37 PM
im just about to start reading "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" although im not sure reading is the right term for a comic? idk :s

Is good.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 17, 2009, 08:15:34 AM
Quote from: Brotep on December 16, 2009, 09:44:05 AM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 08, 2009, 10:34:54 PM
Making Up the Mind, How the Brain Creates our Mental World by Chris Frith. Interesting read so far and looks pretty short. He sorta reminds me of Oliver Sacks in a roundabout way.

Checking out the intro right now, it's kinda cute.  The bit about the hierarchy of science is so true...Physicists think they're sooooo cool.   :argh!:
It is a pretty good book so far (I'm about halfway through). Just like "Why Evolution is True", I keep getting the feeling that he is just repeating stuff I already knew but it would be a great entry point for anyone who wants to know what has happened in cognitive science during the last 50 years.

I think I need to pick something more challenging to read next time.
I spoke too soon. Chapter five kicked all kinds of ass. The title is pretty awesome by itself: "Our Perception of the World Is a Fantasy That Coincides with Reality" He managed to cover information theory, artificial intelligence, neuron doctrine, Bayes' theorem, the Ideal Bayesian Observer, "the map is not the territory", hard wiring, optical illusions, visual perception, and color constancy pretty well in just 28 pages. The book would probably be better if he had just taken that section and expanded it.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Reading Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem. I've been a fan of Gun, with Occasional Music for several years, and Chronic City is excellent thus far -- the first chapter has several memebomb-worthy lines.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

John Ralston Saul - Voltaire's Bastards.

Over a decade old now, but rings still oh so true.  I'm going to have to write up notes on this, he's made a number of awesome points already, and I'm not even a fifth of the way through.

phi

Snowcrash is being read to me. The reading his helping a sick friend keep her sanity. And I get to not be harassed for not having read it!

Because if I heard "You should read Snowcrash! The main character's name is Hero, Protagonist" one more time, I would have flipped.
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 24, 2010, 03:44:12 AM
Only 41 more posts til Clue Jr!
Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on January 24, 2010, 05:43:57 AM
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

Freeky

I just read Fell, and now I'm going to read Armageddon: The Musical.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I'm about halfway through Chronic City, and it looks like I might finish it tonight. It's the most PKDish book I've read -- more PKDish than anything I've read by PKD. I feel like writing a blog post analyzing it, but I should probably wait until I finish it first.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

NotPublished

Finished Jennifer Fallon's Tide Lords not long ago .. that was epic, and I fell in love with one of the characters.

Now I'm reading; Leopard Auer - Violin Playing as I teach it
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

LMNO

I got Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar for xmas.  A survey of major philosophies, each punctuated by jokes, ranging from awful to pretty good.

Fast reading.

Dimocritus

I just picked up the Tao Te Ching, Don Quixote, and Machiavelli's The Prince (Buy two get one free, woot!).

As a small aside, my mother got me and my brothers each a book published on the year we were born, and I got an interesting little childrens book called Masquerade by an artist named Kit Wiliams. It contains crazy visual riddles that all point the way to an honest-to-goodness buried treasure. Obviously, it's been found by now, but the book is still really interesting. The artwork is pretty cool and apparently it's a bit of a rare collectors item. It's a neat concept but unfortunately the people that "found" the treasure were big cheaters and ruined it for everybody. Either way, it's still really cool to look at and try to figure out the riddle.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Reeducation

Little book of calm - Paul Wilson  :lulz:
South of the Pumphouse - Les Claypool
The Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia - Daniel Harms
Everything Is Under Control - Roope Antti Wilperi
Godel, Escher, Bach - Douglas Hofstadter
The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins

I am very calm