News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: dimo on December 28, 2009, 05:07:33 PM
I just picked up the Tao Te Ching, Don Quixote, and Machiavelli's The Prince (Buy two get one free, woot!).

All three of those are in the public domain, so you could have bought none and got three free.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Dimocritus

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 29, 2009, 04:32:41 PM
Quote from: dimo on December 28, 2009, 05:07:33 PM
I just picked up the Tao Te Ching, Don Quixote, and Machiavelli's The Prince (Buy two get one free, woot!).

All three of those are in the public domain, so you could have bought none and got three free.

:sad: Buy two stacks of paper, get the third free...
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Iason Ouabache

I finished "Making Up the Mind". Fairly good book. I liked his digressions more than the actual meat of the book. Because of that I was going to ask someone if they could suggest a good book on the essentials of game theory... then I opened up The Discordian Intellectual package and found a book called "Essentials of Game Theory".

Cain: Not only a genius, but a psychic genius!
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Kai

Just finished The Other - David Guterson

I think many people would find it too slow, and too wordy, with little dialogue and loads of description. I found it wonderful, the characters portrayed with all their flaws intact, and the description was quite wonderful. The story centers around the friendship of the narrator Neil Countryman with his psychological opposite, John William Barry, and how he comes to help his friend try to escape from reality living as a hermit in the mountains. Guilt is well portrayed, characters have depth (even when they are shallow) and the overall portrait the story paints is of choices that lead to both tragedy and gain for the narrator and friend, but yet no regrets. I had trouble getting through the first 50 pages but then I sunk deep into the prose and finished it within a day. Recommended if you're into that sort of wilderness dependent coming of age story; some of it feels very similar to My Side of the Mountain to me.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

Steve Erikson - Memories of Ice

I was a little unsure about the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, but I think its growing on me.  That it is quickly heading into Thirty Xanatos Pileup territory doesn't hurt, nor that its set in a crapsack world. 

Lord Quantum

I just finished reading Why Evolution is True and now I'm reading a Very Short Introduction to the Philosophy of Science and the Essential Calvin and Hobbes. I'm thinking about starting a calvinball cabal in my area.
Quote from: Cain on March 28, 2010, 09:44:45 PM
Fuck it.  I'm going to get ordained as a Catholic priest and start robbing banks and mugging people.  I mean, apparently, you can be excused any crime if you're in with the Big V.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 28, 2008, 02:09:45 AM

Lets try it on an even simpler level:

1) There is a minimum energy/mass things can have, everything can be measured in a multiple of this minimum.

2) Objects at this size, or close to it, don't have an exact position or velocity, so they look like waves in most experiments.

3) If you try to measure the location, they act more like particles, just to fuck with you, but the velocity gets more uncertain, also just to fuck with you.

Conclusion: God hates physicists.

GASMs - PosterGASM (Calvinball edition), AbbyGASM

Pirate Pass Off Scorecard (5)

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on January 02, 2010, 04:23:42 PM
Steve Erikson - Memories of Ice

I was a little unsure about the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, but I think its growing on me.  That it is quickly heading into Thirty Xanatos Pileup territory doesn't hurt, nor that its set in a crapsack world. 
DO NOT read out of order, that way it quickly stops making sense.
still good books though.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Oh God, I could imagine.  Even in sequence, keeping up is a little hard.

Just finished reading Uncle Sam, stumbled on it on /co/ because I'm looking for a new comic to read.
It was so good, I almost cried.

picture is kinda big

I've been on a comic binge, in the couple weeks I finished:
Promethea
Bone
Deadpool/Cable&Deadpool (just to read some trashy comics)
The Invisibles

Currently I'm working on:
Hellboy/BPRD
100 Bullets

I'm trying to go back and finish out a lot of the comics that I've read only partially, most of which I'm done with now. Pretty soon I want to read Cerebus in its entirety, as well as get caught up with Fables, and maybe try out Y the Last Man. I'll probably also read Tom Strong and V for Vendetta just so I can say that I've read pretty much everything Alan Moore has written (I'll have to include his issues of Swamp Thing as well.) I suppose I'll also read those six or so issues of Spawn towards the beginning that all had guest writers (IE:the good issues of Spawn).

Anyway, Uncle Sam was fucking amazing, I strongly recommend it to this board. I'll be going to the comic shop to get a physical copy of that book soon. If anyone has further suggestions for me, even things as low as trashy superhero comics, chances are I'll probably entertain them and even let you know what I think.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I finished Chronic City. Looking for something new. Also, I am temporarily in love with Lethem.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Z³ on January 03, 2010, 08:55:05 AM
If anyone has further suggestions for me, even things as low as trashy superhero comics, chances are I'll probably entertain them and even let you know what I think.

Well, you read Bone, which is probably my favorite graphic novel.  Check out Will Eisner if you haven't.  The Spirit is his take on the superhero genre (way different from the movie).  Into the Heart of the Storm is an autobiographical look at a soldier heading into WWII.  A Contract with God and other Tenement Stories is the first graphic novel if you're interested in that, but it's not his best work.  They aren't as polished as modern comics, but he's a god damn master.  I started seeing people as he drew them after a few weeks of reading his stuff.

A good site is Read Yourself Raw - it has a lot of authors listed and recommendations they've made for other comics.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Peter Levenda - Sinister Forces: A Warm Gun

I was expecting the first of this trilogy to arrive, but I cannot be bothered to wait for The Nine to arrive, and so have started with this.  Levenda, for those who don't know, is the real author of the "Simon Necronomicon" and is also something of an expert of the intersection of occult beliefs and politics.  He has a highly regarded previous book called Unholy Alliance about Nazi occultism in particular, but Sinister Forces is subtitled "A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft" and deals with more recent, and well known events, from the Manson murders up to Bush and Al-Qaeda.  Levenda is quite open that he considers this a factual counterpart to the Illuminatus! Trilogy, so I expect much High Weirdness awaits me over the coming weeks.

Cainad (dec.)

I just read the whole of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas in six hours. I think my head is going to explode.

Jasper

Quote from: Cainad on January 12, 2010, 04:00:09 AM
I just read the whole of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas in six hours. I think my head is going to explode.

Fact:  If too much awesome is in your mind at once, you will pass out and someone else will wake up.