PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Felix on January 12, 2010, 04:48:16 AM
Quote from: Cainad on January 12, 2010, 04:00:09 AM
I just read the whole of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas in six hours. I think my head is going to explode.

Fact:  If too much awesome is in your mind at once, you will pass out and someone else will wake up.

I must try this some day.

Epimetheus

In the middle of a collection of Jorge Luis Borges' fictions, and RAW's Quantum Psychology.

I think I need to add some humor in there. I mean, Wilson has humor but not the right kind I'm talking about.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Nast

Quote from: Epimetheus on January 12, 2010, 05:30:30 AM
In the middle of a collection of Jorge Luis Borges' fictions, and RAW's Quantum Psychology.

I think I need to add some humor in there. I mean, Wilson has humor but not the right kind I'm talking about.

I'm reading Borges' fictions too, but in Spanish. I don't think I'm good enough to comprehend a fair share of it, though.  :sad:
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

Has anyone here read that book "How to teach your dog physics"?  I was considering getting it for someone's birthday present.

Bu🤠ns

I just read the whole of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas in six hours. I think my head is going to explode.

oh man! OH hell yeah.  I'll have to do this some day....ooohh...out LOUD even....bring along "accessories".

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Burns on January 12, 2010, 07:19:43 AM

oh man! OH hell yeah.  I'll have to do this some day....ooohh...out LOUD even....bring along "accessories".

For those six hours, and a few hours afterwords, I felt something very much akin to 20mg of Adderall, but without the unpleasant side effects. My synapses were full of gonzo. I thought I would finish it later today, but the effect it had on me meant there was no way I was getting to sleep without finishing it.

Cain

OK, got the first Sinister Forces book today.  Anyone who mentions Lovecraft, Columbus and Islamic imperialism in the first two pages of their book is alright by me.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Cainad on January 12, 2010, 11:26:32 AM
Quote from: Burns on January 12, 2010, 07:19:43 AM

For those six hours, and a few hours afterwords, I felt something very much akin to 20mg of Adderall, but without the unpleasant side effects. My synapses were full of gonzo. I thought I would finish it later today, but the effect it had on me meant there was no way I was getting to sleep without finishing it.

:lulz:

The Fundamentalist

Just finished The King in Yellow and The Gods of Pegāna.  I can see why they've had so much influence, although the former has a lot less of the horror aspect than I expected.  The latter is somewhat gnostic.

Next is Slaughterhouse-Five to finish, and then I'm going to see if The Republic is worth its reputation.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Nasturtiums on January 12, 2010, 05:37:34 AM
Quote from: Epimetheus on January 12, 2010, 05:30:30 AM

I'm reading Borges' fictions too, but in Spanish. I don't think I'm good enough to comprehend a fair share of it, though.  :sad:

Even reading it in English there are so many references to Argentinian places and history (I guess, maybe other Spanish countries too) that you have to read tons of footnotes to get it.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a collection of Borges' fiction that a friend bought for me, but it's been sitting on my bedside table for six years and I've never opened it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

Im not too fond of Borges... but i love Cortazar.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

LMNO

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 13, 2010, 01:11:00 AM
I have a collection of Borges' fiction that a friend bought for me, but it's been sitting on my bedside table for six years and I've never opened it.

I like Borges.  Short, to the point, good writing, an occasional mindfuck.

Cainad (dec.)

I have started The Great Shark Hunt, but I put it on hold to read Columbine by Dave Cullen. Hell of a read, and clarifies a lot of the rumors and misinformation surrounding the tragedy, and just as importantly covers how that misinformation became so widespread so quickly. It's a recent release, too; the author spent nine years researching this shit.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.