Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2010, 06:10:57 PM
Quote from: Cainad on January 19, 2010, 06:06:21 PM
I have started The Great Shark Hunt,

HST's second worst book.  

It's certainly not nearly as gripping as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. What's the worst one? And, for that matter, what are a few of the better ones?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on January 19, 2010, 06:11:45 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2010, 06:10:57 PM
Quote from: Cainad on January 19, 2010, 06:06:21 PM
I have started The Great Shark Hunt,

HST's second worst book. 

It's certainly not nearly as gripping as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. What's the worst one?

Screwjack.

His last book is pretty good "Hey Rube".

I have everything he ever wrote, and only three of his books suck.  "The Rum Diaries" (not BAD, but not what I expect from him), Screwjack (utter shit), and The Great Shark Hunt.

Songs of the Doomed is tolerable.

Good stuff:  "Hells Angels", "Better Than Sex", "A Generation of Swine", "The Curse of Lono", "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", "Hey Rube", "Kingdom of Fear".

AMAZING stuff:  "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, 1972".

Might have forgotten one or two; put them in the "good" column.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Thanks, I was curious about Screwjack. I will keep this list in mind.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on January 19, 2010, 06:20:04 PM
Thanks, I was curious about Screwjack. I will keep this list in mind.

If Screwjack was given away for free, you'd still be getting robbed.  I have written better in the throes of cactus binges.

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 72, though, is probably the best book on politics ever written.  It is analogous to a layman's book on physics that leaves you with a complete understanding of string theory.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Campaign 72 was amazing.  I reccomend everyone read it at least once every four years.

-Kel-

Still stuck on American Psycho, at least its starting to pick up, only after 200 or so pages. :mad:

Iason Ouabache

"The Red Queen, Sex, & the Evolution of Human Nature" by Matt Ridley.  (Found in the Operation Mindfuck Pack)

Extremely interesting read. Definitely a good mindfuck. This book combined with me starting the Game Theory lecture series on Academic Earth has given me some great ideas for an anti-libertarian rant. Hopefully I can get all of my ideas wrapped together at some point.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

BluTakDuck

Quote from: -Kel- on January 19, 2010, 07:05:11 PM
Still stuck on American Psycho, at least its starting to pick up, only after 200 or so pages. :mad:

I honestly only remember one bit of that book. And it's only because it's the bit someone recommended the book to me with. I own it, but i can;t say i'd ever read it again. It does tail off again at the end.
</sarcasm>

Jasper

Consciousness Explained, Dan Dennett

Just started it today, and my reading habits suck lately.  Seems good so far.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I'm about halfway through A Fire Upon the Deep, again. When I finish, I will try to get through V. by Thomas Pynchton.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is a semi-local story that I found highly amusing... my apologies if it's already been all over the Internet.

"Fist-size space rock crashed through roof of Lorton doctors' office."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/bal-md.meteor23jan23,0,7482858.story

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Unholy Alliance by Peter Levenda. 

Probably one of the three books it is necessary to own if you want to research the connections between occultism and Nazism (the other two having being written by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke).  Also the intro by Norman Mailer is an unexpected bonus.

LMNO

Cain

I can provide the Goodrick-Clarke books in PDF, but this one exists only in meatspace as far as I can see.  And yeah, a quick persual seems to suggest it is a lot meatier and less speculative than his Sinister Forces books, which are sort of a follow-on from this.  The final third of the book promises to be of particular interest, since it deals with Nazi occultism after the war, a topic which it is hard to find good material on.

LMNO

I did the "I request this book to be made into a Kindle edition" thing, but I doubt anyone pays attention to that.