News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Oh, there is one other part of this I really want to read.  Levenda himself was detained for a while at the infamous Colonia Dignidad, a Germany colony in Chile, founded by a very pro-Nazi Luffwaffe officer called Paul Schafer.  He ran the place as a cult, with him as effective Fuhrer, and also did torture work on the side for Pinochet.  Its hard to dig up more than that on the internet though, so I want to see his impressions of the place.

Yeah, its been in print for quite a while, but given its more of a fringe topic, and from someone who isn't an academic or with academic backing, I suspect if they ever make an ebook version, it might take a while.  There could well be pirate copies out there...but I haven't seen them.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Cain on January 28, 2010, 03:55:41 PM
I can provide the Goodrick-Clarke books in PDF

Please do. I will look out for any potential pirate copies of the other as well.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"Your Disgusting Head: the Darkest, Most Offensive -- and Moist -- Secrets of Your Ears, Mouth and Nose" by Dr. and Mr. Doris Haggis-On-Whey.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Just started reading "The Throne of Bones." Pretty interesting so far.

Cain

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on January 30, 2010, 12:39:46 AM
Johnny The Homicidal Maniac. ranges from  :?  :sad:  :| to :horrormirth:  :lol:

Yeah, I've heard that can be pretty hit or miss.  I imagine its a case of when its funny, its very funny (in a black humour way) and when it sucks, it really fucking sucks.

Also my current reading is the highly interesting Special Operations in the Age of Chivalry 1100-1500

QuoteAlongside the familiar pitched battles, regular sieges, and large-scale manoeuvres, medieval and early modern wars also involved assassination, abduction, treason and sabotage. These undercover operations were aimed chiefly against key individuals, mostly royalty or the leaders of the opposing army, and against key fortified places, including bridges, mills and dams. However, because of their clandestine nature, these deeds of `derring-do' have not been studied in any detail, a major gap which this book fills. It surveys a wide variety of special operations, from the eleventh to the sixteenth century. It then analyzes in greater depth six select and exciting operations: the betrayal of Antioch in 1098; the attempt to rescue King Baldwin II from the dungeon of Khartpert in 1123; the assassination of Conrad of Montferrat in 1192; the attempt to storm Calais in 1350; the 'dirty war' waged by the rulers of France and Burgundy in the 1460s and 1470s; and the demolition of the flour mill of Auriol in 1536.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I finished A Fire Upon the Deep and I'm starting V.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

LMNO

If you put yourself in the mind-state of a pre-emo teenage goth-punk with delusions of existential nihilism, it makes more sense.

LMNO
-don't ask how I know that.

Just started on the Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima.
I like it a lot so far.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Cain on January 28, 2010, 03:45:28 PM
Unholy Alliance by Peter Levenda. 

Probably one of the three books it is necessary to own if you want to research the connections between occultism and Nazism (the other two having being written by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke).  Also the intro by Norman Mailer is an unexpected bonus.

WHAT'S

Levenda's particular focus? More like turn-of-the-century or during World War II? I guess I could google this but you're probably a better resource than Wikipedia.

GOODRICK-CLARKE

Certainly opened some crazy shit up when he came out with "The occult roots..", a lot of which had an effect opposite to his ambition. It does remain to be the most comprehensive 'one-stop' source for the topic as an intro. His follow up, "Black Sun" is disappointingly a poorly researched pile of crap. Again however, "Black Sun" serves as an intro, this time to post-Third Reich Nazi-isms, but here G-Clarke at best lays out a rough map of key influences but mostly misappropriated their relationships or simply got shit completely wrong. Still, young satan-worshipping-aspiring-nazi-occultists will find it a useful quick guide to get turned onto things they hadn't heard of before.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Jasper

Ravenor, the omnibus. 

What a great goddamned sci-fi/action novel.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

A Calculus of Angels by J. Gregory Keyes

LMNO

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 12, 2010, 02:03:54 AM

Would I need to do that for the Squee series also? They're up next on my reading list.

No, Squee! is just funny and awesome.

Roman Dirge's Lenore is also pretty great.

I'm finally reading House of Leaves, and I'm digging it.  Even though it deliberately and broad-handedly breaks formal conventions, it's not as pretentious as Infinite Jest, and creepier, too.  My kind of book, really.

Requia ☣

I started on Discourses of the first decade of titus livy by Machiavelli
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Bella

I just started working my way through the entire works of Terry Pratchett because my father-in-law sent us his latest book and HFLS says it won't make any sense to me unless I read most of the earlier books. I finished the Wyrd Sisters mini-trilogy, Nightwatch, Strata, and a couple of others, and now I'm reading Monstrous Regiment.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Freeky

Quote from: Bella on February 17, 2010, 08:35:43 PM
I just started working my way through the entire works of Terry Pratchett because my father-in-law sent us his latest book and HFLS says it won't make any sense to me unless I read most of the earlier books. I finished the Wyrd Sisters mini-trilogy, Nightwatch, Strata, and a couple of others, and now I'm reading Monstrous Regiment.

i love Terry Pratchett. My favorite books in the Discworld series are the Rincewind books, followed closely by the Vimes ones.