News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: -Kel- on March 03, 2010, 05:53:19 AM
AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! Still struggling to finish American Psycho. It became a bathroom reader. And today the author went from 1st person to 3rd person mid paragraph and mid sentence. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

By accident? Or to be 'clever'?

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

LMNO

Because it's narrated by the titular "Psycho".

St. Everblaze the Badikal

It's funny, I actually started reading Illuminatus a few days before finding this hellish place.
Deph'eth Bek'eth Nix'eth
T H E W A L R U S W A N T S O I S T A R S

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Muir

I've been reading a book called Bite: A Vampire's Handbook.  It's pretty good so far.  Very amusing. :3
Remember, there are no stupid questions - but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just finished "My Abandonment", which is a beautifully-written piece of based-on-reality about a little girl and her dad who lived in Forest Park here in Portland for four years, and started on "Bloodroot", which is about some Appalachian chick.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Iason Ouabache

Forgot to mention that I'm also skimming through Mark Twain's "The Mysterious Stranger" and reading "Alice in Wonderland" to my daughter. She has the attention span of a three year old so it is taking forever.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Juana

Lev Grossman's The Magicans (Harry Potter/Narnia meet Catcher in the Rye) and For God and Country, which is about American history and terrorism. Exxxxxcellent.

Going back to Pratchett, I felt the Watchmen series was his best. Well, that and Small Gods, I think.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Seamus Heaney anthology of poetry called "Death Of A Naturalist", a bio of Caravaggio by Patrick Hunt, and still keeping plenty of Irvine Welsh handy for when the psychosis becomes too much.

Bella

Still working my way through the works of Terry Pratchett. I'm currently reading Good Omens, which was co-written by Neil Gamen. It reads like a giant poem on my Kindle because the spacing came out kind of funky when it downloaded. But that only makes it more fun.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Jasper

Ahhh.  Whenever that happened to me I would start reading lines rhythmically, and eventually the words would stop making sense and I'd have this weird tune stuck in my head.

I am basically useless, you see. :x

Bella

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 11, 2010, 12:50:37 AM
Ahhh.  Whenever that happened to me I would start reading lines rhythmically, and eventually the words would stop making sense and I'd have this weird tune stuck in my head.

I am basically useless, you see. :x

Oh no! I read this post, then picked up the kindle and now I can't stop reading the lines rhythmically. 
Waiting for the weird tune to start.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Jasper

Iason Ouabache

Also reading "Despoilers of the Golden Empire" by David Gordon thanks to TV Tropes. Would have been better if I hadn't figured out the Tomato Surprise by Chapter 3.  :kingmeh:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Juana

Neil Gaiman's American Gods for the umpteenth time.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."