News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Finished Anathem, so I'm reading Proven Guilty, one of the Dresden Files books I skipped the first time.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Freeky

I'm reading An Old Man's Toy By A. Zee (  :lol:  ). It's about Einstein's theory of relativity.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Professor Freeky on April 18, 2010, 05:17:42 PM
I'm reading An Old Man's Toy By A. Zee (  :lol:  ). It's about Einstein's theory of relativity.

That's the book that got me into physics.

How do you like it so far?
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 18, 2010, 05:38:02 PM
Quote from: Professor Freeky on April 18, 2010, 05:17:42 PM

That's the book that got me into physics.

How do you like it so far?

It's really good!  i don't have much time to read it, but it's interesting. :D

Brotep

Just finished The Borderlands of Science: Where Sense Meets Nonsense by Michael Shermer and reread The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chryselephantine Shavenwolf on April 18, 2010, 05:59:13 PM
Just finished The Borderlands of Science: Where Sense Meets Nonsense by Michael Shermer and reread The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

I still have Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think I'm still reading "Shrimp: The Quest for Pink Gold" and a collection of short stories and a novel called "Bloodroot" but it's been a while since I've gone to the bar.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on April 18, 2010, 02:54:44 PM
Finished Anathem, so I'm reading Proven Guilty, one of the Dresden Files books I skipped the first time.

Good series.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

h-town

I'm reading Coming of Age in the Milky Way by timothy ferris. Really good pop cosmology stuff so far.

I just picked up Jane Austin's Emma and The Crying of Lot 49. Emma is for a book club I do with my friends and I'm putting together a miracle fruit tasting party for the meeting. Should be fun.

Placid Dingo

Love Tipping Point. Blink is also good.

I have limited attention span and an Ipod Touch: Meaning that at any one time I'm going through 16 books simultaniously (because they all fit on the one screen together).

Now: Moby Dick, Atlas Shrugged, Grimm Tales, Wealth of Nations, Fairy Tales (Anderson), Last of the Mohoccans, Dracula, The Illiad, Autobiography of a Yogi, All's Well that ends well, Little Women, His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes), The Bible, Herodotus: The Histories, The Secret Sharer and The Three Musketeers.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Iason Ouabache

I'm also skimming through "Nice Ways to Say Bad Things in English". It is amusing and very pretty on the Kindle.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Sister_Gothique

I'm onto the 5th book in the Black Company series(Glen Cook)...It's getting a little dry, but I'm determined to power through it. I hear there's cake at the end....

I'm also going the The Watchmen again...well, because I like it.
I'm the new "God's Will"...Soon it'll be, "Oh, I can't be held accountable for THAT, Sister Gothique made me do it!"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

About halfway through The Diamond Age. On a Stephenson kick still, I guess.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Hoser McRhizzy

Just starting "Anti-Oedipus: capitalism & schizophrenia," and I've been looking forward to it for awhile now.  Also rereading Pattern Recognition (Gibson is my comfort fluff).  Really appreciating the lull between semesters, atm.
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

BadBeast

About two thirds of the way through my third, or fourth reading of Moby Dick. Moby Dick is one of the few American books, that I (As British) would consider as a truly peerless example of how to write prose. Every time I read it, I find levels of meaning that I had perhaps not seen, or understood, (Or maybe forgotten) the previous time. Melville's talent for seeing the nobility in his characters, and settings really sets him apart from all of his contemparies, and into a very exclusive genre, consisting of only himself.
His singular style, and uncompromising, (and not ever particularly popular, or fashionable) style mean that it will (indeed, did) stand the test of time, without ever being faddy. And I think I will never be at a point in my life where I don't need to read it again.

Also dipping back into Frank Herbert again. But not Dune this time. I finished "Whipping Star" last week, and as soon as I'm through with that briny, pale ghost of the oceans, I'm going to crack on with "The Dosadi Experiment". These two books showed me that Herbert wasn't just a one trick pony, as my disillusionment at the third and fourth parts of Dune, had hinted. I think Dune was fantastic, but he left too many unexplored avenues in the original, to ever tie up neatly. But it's still probably one of my all time favourite "Genre" Sci-Fi books. That and  "The Skinner"
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4