News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

Quote from: E. A. Waterhaus II on May 03, 2010, 02:15:23 PM
Brotep, I have a copy of Postman's Technopoly and I can get a copy of the book you are reading for about fifty cents. Is it worth reading either? I was hoping to balance out my technoutopian attitude, but there's a tendency for books that counter it written by nontechnical people to be mostly bullshit.

Hmm...I haven't gotten into McLuhan's stuff yet, so I couldn't give much of a comparison. You seem to have more exposure to the subject matter than I do, so you might find AOTD a bit boring. It was also written during the eighties, and is primarily aimed at television.

For me it was a solid introductory text. I will dig into some McLuhan and get back to you on the comparison in the next couple days.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I think I missed something. Where did I mention McLuhan?

(Sorry. I'm not running on all five cylinders today)

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Brotep

Quote from: E. A. Waterhaus II on May 06, 2010, 04:49:42 AM
I think I missed something. Where did I mention McLuhan?

(Sorry. I'm not running on all five cylinders today)

In the McLuhan thread. Postman drops McLuhan's name quite a bit in AOTD, which is why I brought it up ITT.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Oh, ok :-). McLuhan says a lot of stuff in very non-straightforward ways, so I might make the argument that things credited to McLuhan are a whole different bag of pears than things McLuhan actually said.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Faust

Quote from: Brotep on May 05, 2010, 10:55:56 PM
William S. Burroughs audio...Hilarious shit. Just finished listening to Apuk
Is that the same as  Ah Pook? He played with the name of the mexican god to make it sound silly... er.

Finished the great Gatsby, thoroughly depressed now. Starting on Middlemarch on a friends suggestion, he says its good but its like a million pages long.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Sister_Gothique

Just starting Cries Unheard: The Story Of Mary Bell by Gitta Sereny...
I'm the new "God's Will"...Soon it'll be, "Oh, I can't be held accountable for THAT, Sister Gothique made me do it!"

Brotep

Quote from: Faust on May 06, 2010, 11:26:13 PM
Is that the same as  Ah Pook? He played with the name of the mexican god to make it sound silly... er.

Yes, I think that is the spelling he uses...Only saw it briefly when I queued up the track.

Quote from: E. A. Waterhaus II on May 06, 2010, 06:11:08 PM
Oh, ok :-). McLuhan says a lot of stuff in very non-straightforward ways, so I might make the argument that things credited to McLuhan are a whole different bag of pears than things McLuhan actually said.

Yeah, I am beginning to see what you mean. You should probably skip Amusing Ourselves to Death--again, it's a great intro text, but not so great on the in-depth analysis.

Iason Ouabache

I finally decided that I needed to read some Lovecraft. Amazon had the "ultimate collection" of his short stories fairly cheaply for the Kindle so I got that. Starting on "The Colour Out of Space" and will probably read "The Call of Cthulu" next. Any suggestions for after that?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

BadBeast

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 06, 2010, 12:54:34 AM

Every time I listen to him talking, he breaks my fucking heart.

Sigmatic,
Just listened to "A Thanksgiving Prayer"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXJN2_Btofc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCGs0jHiEVE&feature=related

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Triple Zero

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 19, 2010, 08:35:18 AM
I finally decided that I needed to read some Lovecraft. Amazon had the "ultimate collection" of his short stories fairly cheaply for the Kindle so I got that. Starting on "The Colour Out of Space" and will probably read "The Call of Cthulu" next. Any suggestions for after that?

I liked Nyarlathotep (very short one) and Shadow over Innsmouth too.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BadBeast

Quote from: Triple Zero on May 19, 2010, 10:22:02 AM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on May 19, 2010, 08:35:18 AM

I liked Nyarlathotep (very short one) and Shadow over Innsmouth too.

Before you read "Shadow over Innsmouth"  it's probably best to watch this little cautionary video first.
I wish I'd paid attention to that crazy, drunken man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Triple Zero

Oh, wow that was awesome!! :lol:

Not sure if you really should watch it before or after you read the story because of spoilers, but it's been a while since I read it so I forgot if these are spoilers?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

"At the Mountains of Madness"
"Pickford's Model"
"The Lurking Fear"
"The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath"
"The Statement of Randolph Carter"

Jasper

The dark tower series. 

A bunch of TTC lectures.  Psych, cosmology, physics, history.  Good stuff.

Brotep

Amusing Ourselves to Death, again. I went through it too fast last time, and it's been worth the second look so far.