News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Faust on July 29, 2010, 02:03:57 PM
Just finished M/F by Anthony Burgess, its bizarre and leaves a load of stuff unanswered, challenging the reader to decipher it.
I've now started The Magus on a recommendation from a friend, the writing style is pretty, haven't gotten far into it yet so I cant really say more.

It gets really interesting from about halfway in, and yes, Fowles has a wonderful writing style.

Also, reading the first Artemis Fowl book, since I've heard good things about Eoin Colfer, and Drugs, Oil and War by Peter Dale Scott.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on July 30, 2010, 08:36:20 AM
Just finished M/F by Anthony Burgess, its bizarre and leaves a load of stuff unanswered, challenging the reader to decipher it.
I've now started The Magus on a recommendation from a friend, the writing style is pretty, haven't gotten far into it yet so I cant really say more.

It gets really interesting from about halfway in, and yes, Fowles has a wonderful writing style.

Also, reading the first Artemis Fowl book, since I've heard good things about Eoin Colfer, and Drugs, Oil and War by Peter Dale Scott.
He manages to make the relationship stuff incredibly interesting, possibly because some of his experiences feel like they overlap with mine (though as a writer he probably designed it to overlap with everyone's relationship experiences).
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Xooxe

The Grand Chessboard - American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives.

I like stalking books that Cain takes interesting quotes from.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on July 30, 2010, 08:36:20 AM

Just finished it now. Goddamn that's a fine book. Saw lots of references to this in Burroughs Cities of the red night, and the ending to the prisoner was basically lifted from this. The very end of the book kind of bothered me at first.... Spoilers incoming for those who haven't read it.

... I thought she would definitely have gone to meet him but then there's an equal amount of evidence to say she wont. I thought about it for a little while and then I got that that was unimportant: That just confronting her had given him back his freedom and finally removed him from the trappings of the masque, whether or not she meets up with him again and lives happily ever after is up the the reader and their disposition.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

I need to read it again, actually, it's been at least 5 years now, and I'd probably get a lot more out of it, especially since I wont be reading it inbetween exams and papers.  For reasons which are fairly obvious, it's the scenes with Conchis that stand out most in my mind.

Now reading A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century by Barbara W. Tuchmann.  Spoiler: the 14th century sucked.

Pariah

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

BadBeast

"The Secret History of EverythingAll Ages" by Manly P Hall.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Disco Pickle

Quote"The Secret History of Everything" by Manly P Hall.

I loved The Secret Teachings of All Ages..  fucking phenomenal..  lost my copy in Mexico, need to search for a new one..

thanks for reminding me.

Also, I'm half way through Illuminatus Trilogy and decided to take a break from it.. 

Just started Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker today.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Prince Glittersnatch III

I just got The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch in the mail.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

BadBeast

This week I have been on a mad Pratchett catch up. Wintersmith, Thief of Time, Night Watch, and
Unseen Academicals.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Reeducation

I have been reading Food of the gods by Terence McKenna. Quite "out there" but it has had pretty interesting points about coffee and alcohol.

I'm also reading Stiff: The curious lives of human cadavers by Mary Roach. A book about dead bodies and what you can do with the dead bodies (plastic surgery practice, guillotine testing, transplants and so on).
I am very calm

DeusExMachina

My friend got me Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch for my birthday.  I am awaiting Lost Technologies of Ancient Egypt: Advanced Engineering in the Temples of the Pharaohs and H. P. Lovecraft Omnibus (1) - At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels of Terror.  Not decided which i will start first maybe the Philip K Dick one because it is quite short.
'Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.'
-George Carlin

'Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.'

- Albert Einstein

Don Coyote

Three Stigmata was a fucking head trip. I should probably track down another copy since I think I was in high school when I read it.

Reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, everything is better with zombies, ninjas and katana swords. :lulz:

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 27, 2010, 07:40:33 AM
"It Can't Happen Here" - Sinclair Lewis

It took me forever to find it.
I'm about a quarter of the way through this now (I'm a slow reader, dammit! plus I've been busy). It's an interesting book. Very dated though. I keep having to look up words and politician's name because I can't tell which are real and which ones he made up. Plus he has a habit of writing really long rambling Yankee spun sentence that have to be diagrammed before you can figure out what he was trying to say. I'm seeing stuff that could be compared to Obama but it's stuff that is true of any successful presidential candidate in the last 100 years.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Stelpa

Still never read any Lovecraft, any suggestions on a good place to start?

I am reading Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy for the 200th time, love that book  :D