News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Just started on Terry Pratchett...Read Thud yesterday.  Freeky loaned me a bunch of his stuff, and I'm going to the used bookstore to get all of the rest of it.

How have I managed to not read this guy for all this time?  He's a fucking GENIUS.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Hover Cat on October 27, 2010, 02:01:49 AM
Re-reading Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. And I caught a shout-out to him from Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality - the password is always swordfish!

I love that one. My favorite Vimes book is "Guards, Guards!" followed closely by "Jingo" and "The Fourth Elephant."

Pretend that the quotes are actually underlining. i feel lazy.

Juana

Thud! is one of my favorites by him. I can see you liking the Night Watch series, and perhaps Moist von Lipwig's books, Dok.

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on November 01, 2010, 06:35:06 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on October 27, 2010, 02:01:49 AM
Re-reading Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. And I caught a shout-out to him from Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality - the password is always swordfish!

I love that one. My favorite Vimes book is "Guards, Guards!" followed closely by "Jingo" and "The Fourth Elephant."

Pretend that the quotes are actually underlining. i feel lazy.
"Feet of Clay", "The Lost Continent", "Small Gods", "Men at Arms", and "Jingo" are my favorites, in that order. I think I'll re-read "The Fifth Elephant" soon. It's been a while.

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2010, 03:49:38 AM
Actually, that trope is much older than you think.  Terry was just lampshading it.
The more you know. :D

Re-reading Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 01, 2010, 06:17:46 PM
Just started on Terry Pratchett...Read Thud yesterday.  Freeky loaned me a bunch of his stuff, and I'm going to the used bookstore to get all of the rest of it.

How have I managed to not read this guy for all this time?  He's a fucking GENIUS.

Careful.  He's prolific.  When I caught onto him in high school, I spent an entire month doing almost nothing other than read his stuff.   It was ill.

Juana

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 01, 2010, 06:54:25 PM
Just started on Terry Pratchett...Read Thud yesterday.  Freeky loaned me a bunch of his stuff, and I'm going to the used bookstore to get all of the rest of it.

How have I managed to not read this guy for all this time?  He's a fucking GENIUS.

Careful.  He's prolific.  When I caught onto him in high school, I spent an entire month doing almost nothing other than read his stuff.   It was ill.
Yep. A book every year or so. Though there are a couple you can skip because they're not all that great (Equal Rites, Sourcery, and Soul Music are the three I can think of off the top of my head. Other Pratchett fans might disagree, though).
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jasper

I disagree on those points, because Equal Rites introduces Weatherwax, who I think Dok would like.  And soul music is about rock and roll, which might also resonate with him.  Sourcery?  Either way.  I like most of the things that have Rincewind, just because he's fun to read about. 

Freeky

Quote from: Sigmatic on November 01, 2010, 07:44:39 PM
I disagree on those points, because Equal Rites introduces Weatherwax, who I think Dok would like.  And soul music is about rock and roll, which might also resonate with him.  Sourcery?  Either way.  I like most of the things that have Rincewind, just because he's fun to read about. 

I almost forgot about those. The ones I listed, those were my favorites out of the ones i have. I like Sourcery, since Rincewind is my favorite character. Also Death is my favorite too, and he shows up in just about every book Pratchett writes. The Witches ones aren't my favorites, but the one with the girl and the blue guys, I forget who they are, they're fun books too.

NEED so many of these books. I regret trading the ones I had in to Bookmans for new books to read. (

Juana

I agree that Dok would like Granny Weatherwax. I just didn't care for Equal Rites - the ending felt tacked on and then we never see her again. Soul Music just didn't do it for me, and neither did Sourcery despite that Rincewind is there (who is just about my favorite character, too - he ties with Vimes, the Librarian, and Vetinari).
I regret lending mine out to friends! I've lost The Light Fantastic and one or two others that way.

Freeky, if you have a debit card, you can pick up books for like a dollar on Alibris.com, and shipping is free on a lot of 'em. \

edited for spelling fail

Jasper

Cain

Actually, Eskarina is seen again.

I would suggest reading the books in their order, or else things may not may sense.  And also to ignore minor points of the first two books, like the Pratician being fat, or Death killing someone.

Truthfully, I actually enjoy the earlier books, with their rough and tumble approach to life in Ankh-Morpork, the city being burnt down for in-sewer-ants, Barbarians inevitably trying to invade the city only to get invited in, become roaringly drunk and have their horses nicked, Things from the Dungeon Dimensions trying to break into reality and all that entails...Pratchett has done too good a job of taming the city, a fact he himself bemoans sometimes (he has said it is now nearly impossible for him to do a book set in the city without the Watch getting involved, for example.  And of course Vetinari has taken on an increasingly central role, obvious by the time of Going Postal and subsequent Ankh-Morpork based books).

Of course, he does seem to have rather forgotten the magic-powerful and very violent nations that seem to comprise much of the Rim and Outer Disc mentioned in his earlier books, like Krull and the Wyrmberg...or even Genua, which would be an excellent main setting for a story.

Iason Ouabache

General rule of Discworld is that anything with DEATH or Vimes is going to be brilliant. I only made it halfway through the series though. Only one I didn't like was Moving Pictures.  Make sure you read Hogfather before Christmas gets here, Dok.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

eighteen buddha strike

Just started on Terry Pratchett...Read Thud yesterday.  Freeky loaned me a bunch of his stuff, and I'm going to the used bookstore to get all of the rest of it.

How have I managed to not read this guy for all this time?  He's a fucking GENIUS.

I just read that last month, It was my first Pratchett and coincidentally the only one I have lying around the house.

I have to concur with your statement as well, after reading that I feel I've been missing out.

Bella

Yup, he's a genius, alright. I can't believe I managed not to read his books until recently, either!
I'm slowly working my way through the entire Pratchett library  via the kindle, which, as Liam said, has flown off to Germany with Sara.
Gutted! Until I figured out we could download our entire kindle library to the laptops. So it's back to reading Prachett again.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Jasper

I want to read Unseen Academicals.  Anyone read it yet?  Good?  Bad?

Cuddlefish

Just ordered the Schroedinger's Cat trilogy. Should get here by next Teusday or so. Any one here know whether or not I just wasted my money?
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?