News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince Glittersnatch III

"The God Delusion"
Might as well see what all the hype was about.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

dontblameyoko

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on December 23, 2010, 01:12:10 PM
Quote from: dontblameyoko on December 07, 2010, 02:08:57 AM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on December 01, 2010, 01:35:32 AM
finished Anansi Boys last week.  not my favorite Gaiman book, but a really funny book.

diving into Clive Barker's Sacrament this week.

what's Sacrament about?

It's been sitting on my coffee table for weeks and I finally got past page ten last night.

Starts out normal enough, about a nature photographer, one of the best apparently.  Shooting Polar Bears up close.  Ends up getting mauled and then cuts to memory for back story, with the photographer meeting two main characters who seem to be spirits or gods of some sort.

Then the obligatory Barker extremely descriptive sex scene between the earthbound spirits that also seem to be brother and sister in a way. 

I fell asleep after that.

It's never taken me this long to get into a Barker book.  I'm hoping the story picks up a bit.

Why is it called Sacrament?
BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This weekend I finished "Dress Your Family In Corduroy & Denim", and "Chop Suey", which was excellent. I just started "Luka and the Fire of Life" and "Blood Meridian". I have three or four others in progress but those are the ones I'm likely to actually finish in a timely fashion.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Disco Pickle

Quote from: dontblameyoko on January 04, 2011, 02:00:08 AM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on December 23, 2010, 01:12:10 PM
Quote from: dontblameyoko on December 07, 2010, 02:08:57 AM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on December 01, 2010, 01:35:32 AM
finished Anansi Boys last week.  not my favorite Gaiman book, but a really funny book.

diving into Clive Barker's Sacrament this week.

what's Sacrament about?

It's been sitting on my coffee table for weeks and I finally got past page ten last night.

Starts out normal enough, about a nature photographer, one of the best apparently.  Shooting Polar Bears up close.  Ends up getting mauled and then cuts to memory for back story, with the photographer meeting two main characters who seem to be spirits or gods of some sort.

Then the obligatory Barker extremely descriptive sex scene between the earthbound spirits that also seem to be brother and sister in a way. 

I fell asleep after that.

It's never taken me this long to get into a Barker book.  I'm hoping the story picks up a bit.

Why is it called Sacrament?

I'm nearly at the end and should have it finished this evening.  Really, that paltry intro does the book no justice at all and I'll write a bit about it here for anyone interested.

It took a bit to really get a grasp on the meaning of the book.  It deals heavily with extinction.  The two protagonists are seemingly ageless, have forgotten their true nature and are separated from what I think is their creator (I'm just now getting to some explanation of that part and the book's almost over.)  The female is unable to have children that live longer than a day, and the male has made it is purpose to travel the planet and bring extinction to each and every species, after which he chronicles it in journals.  He says it's to bring silence to the planet so that he might be able to once again hear god's voice.

The main character is the photographer.  He's gay and lived in San Francisco before, during and after the "plague" hit.  It's the second time Barker's touched on this time period in a novel of his (Imajica) and talks about the effect it had on the gay community there.  I can't believe I didn't know he was gay until about two years ago, and now that I know I see the evidence everywhere in his writing.  This story taken with the other I mentioned leads me to believe he lost many friends to the virus.

I was initially disappointed with it, and it's probably still my least favorite of his, but I'll hold off until I finish to get a true picture of the story he is telling.

I'm still unclear about the reason for the title Sacrament.  Maybe it will be clear when I'm done.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Placid Dingo on January 02, 2011, 09:33:42 AM
Just finished Atlas Shrugged.

Working through Wealth of Nations.

Jesus Christ, you read ALL of Atlas Shrugged?
Are you now a rugged individualist commie-punching entrepreneur?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Epimetheus

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on January 05, 2011, 08:33:46 PM
a rugged individualist commie-punching entrepreneur?

Just like Jesus.
                     \
:teabagger1:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Lenin McCarthy

I'm reading an interview in a local Norwegian newspaper with a friend of mine, where he explains why drugs should be legalized, why the offshore drilling plans in vulnerable sea areas off the Norwegian coast should be stopped, and why removing civil liberties and increasing government surveillance to fight terrorism just makes the terrorists win.

Sister Fracture

Brittania Ruled. Can any of you britspags tell me what "making a leg" at someone means? I get the general gist, but can you actually get a boner on command?
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North Endâ„¢

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on January 05, 2011, 08:33:46 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on January 02, 2011, 09:33:42 AM
Just finished Atlas Shrugged.

Working through Wealth of Nations.

Jesus Christ, you read ALL of Atlas Shrugged?
Are you now a rugged individualist commie-punching entrepreneur?

I am honestly, probably now a little less antagonistic towards corporations.

It kind of protects you from itself though; every time it sounds like making sense it throws in something painfully stupid just to make sure you don't take it to heart.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Sister Fracture on January 06, 2011, 12:09:21 AM
Brittania Ruled. Can any of you britspags tell me what "making a leg" at someone means? I get the general gist, but can you actually get a boner on command?

Um, Google tells me it means to bow to someone.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Phox

I can get a boner on command.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 06, 2011, 01:02:20 AM

I can give a woman a fake orgasm from across the room.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 06, 2011, 01:03:27 AM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 06, 2011, 01:02:20 AM

I can give a woman a fake orgasm from across the room.

I can get a woman pregnant from across the room. 

that's some black magic there.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

Finished The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson.

Guess all I need to do now is read the third book and complete the trilogy.  And then watch the subbed films, after downloading them.