News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Extelligence

Started by Cain, December 12, 2006, 07:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I was just wondering what you thought of the concept of extelligence and how it can be used both in breaking down and keeping a certain concept of reality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extelligence

LMNO

I suppose it's the sample of the pool you take from.

That is, if all your time-binding intelligence (books, etc) agree with each other, your reality will stay pretty static.  If they all contradict each other, your reality will be much more interesting.

Hangero

Well, I might have read it entirely wrong, and it might have all flown right over my head, but here is what I picked up:

Since they acknowledge that there is an objective world, I think it can't say there is any way to break down "reality".  I heard them mention a subjective world, where perceptual influences could alter things, and that would certainly be subject to collapse and deterioration.

Since that subjective world is unreal (given their postulated existence of an objective world) it can be seen as only a bastardization of that real objective world, and would be thus something to work away from. 

It all sounds a LOT like Plato's forms.

LMNO

Did we read the same wikipedia article?

Because I didn't get that at all.

Hangero

That's why it has a disclaimer  :cry:
I've never come across the phrase before, probably didn't read it thoroughly enough either.

EDIT*
I misread the stuff that was actually being attributed to Popper as being attributed to Stewart and Cohen.  I'll have to compose another message when I'm feeling less careless.

Jenne

Ha! I thought it sounded mightily linked to the notion of realia.

This part explains why:

QuotePhilosophers, notably Popper, have also considered the relation between subjective knowledge (which he calls world 2), objective knowledge (world 1) and the knowledge represented by man-made artifacts (world 3).

Here's the wiki on realia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realia

Starship, take me

I have this ongoing thought experiment about compiling a database of all observable events here on Earth (i.e. every wave of the oceans, conversation, birth, death, plant germinating, ad infinitum).

I suppose if such a database were freely available to all people, the species might see a great increase in extelligence, intelligence, or any other type of -telligence.
Extraction of Agent Starship in progress...

Have the Orbital Platforms on Standby, please

B_M_W

I think the NSA and the DHA and the CIA have a job for you...
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Starship, take me

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on December 13, 2006, 06:47:52 AM
I think the NSA and the DHA and the CIA have a job for you...

Well, I'll probably wind up in a CIA prison in Uzbekistan anyway.  Of course, I might enjoy being a quadruple agent and narcing on all the Three Letter Agencies.

:mrgreen:

B_M_W

That sounds like a dangerous but hilarious passtime.  :lol:
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Jenne

You'll make millions on book and movie deals, at the VERY least.

Starship, take me

Quote from: Jenne on December 13, 2006, 04:37:22 PM
You'll make millions on book and movie deals, at the VERY least.

Hmmm... we could use the extra funding, seeing as how construction on Platform 18 has slowed a bit.

Jenne

It's worth giving it a thought or 3, I think.