News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Making Occult Studies more Accessible

Started by LHX, December 20, 2006, 08:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

But hey, I'm really sorry that a little criticism of your occult wankfest results in

:butthurt:

:lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 16, 2012, 02:38:46 PM

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 16, 2012, 02:12:30 PM
"We must perform the sacred maintenance rituals, to appease the Machine God.  Consult thou the holy torque spec, and intone the proper prayers while checking the calibration seal on thy most puissiant torque wrench.  Administer the sacred oils.  And then ensure that the proper incantations to the spirit of the Immaculate 68 Chevy are spoken, to waken its glory."

"STAAART, YOU FUUUCKING BAAAASTAAAARD!"

Why, LMNO, I did not know you were Of The Faith.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 16, 2012, 11:04:56 PM
But hey, I'm really sorry that a little criticism of your occult wankfest results in

As a complete aside, I think that's the very best emote I've added to this board.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 16, 2012, 11:03:51 PM
I missed the part where I enacted a policy about thread titles? Someone remind me when my personal objections became board policy rather than just, you know, my personal objections.

Or am I not free to post in any damn thread I want to, just like everyone else is?

Policy wasn't an accurate way to put it. I cede that point.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on February 16, 2012, 10:45:16 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 16, 2012, 10:04:30 PM
In what way does his statement about "putting his two cents in" about something he thinks is stupid have anything whatsoever to do with "being afraid of smelly Pagans"?

There's a difference between letting people know where you stand and purposefully derailling any discussion of the idea. Even when that discussion is about appropriating useful, non-woo ideas out of it.

I'm sorry, but this Aspergers trip about using the word "woo" instead of "occult" is ridiculous. And it doesn't even work:
occult = a large range of spiritual practices that often include supernatural beliefs
woo = supernatural belief

This thread WAS about filtering out the woo and examining the parts of occultism with value to people who find supernatural belief repugnant, such as myself. Now it's more a temper tantrum over semantics.

The thread was old, dead, and cold before Roger bumped it as a joke.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 16, 2012, 11:04:56 PM

I'm not butthurt about shitting on occultism.

I'm butthurt that apparently the word "occult" is justification for shitting on a quality thread and alienating contributing members.

I'm also amused at the irony: a thread about the non-supernatural parts of occultism is derailed and shat upon because, this is rich, occultism MUST mean supernatural!

I think you guys didn't even read the thread, submitted to your kneejerk reaction about "occultism", and are too proud to admit it. It's probably a combination of digging in your heels and Roger's paranoid hatred of Cram and LHX.

Why not just start your own thread about how foolish it is to use words that aren't shrouded in woo?

Quote from: Nigel on February 16, 2012, 11:49:18 PM
In what way does his statement about "putting his two cents in" about something he thinks is stupid have anything whatsoever to do with "being afraid of smelly Pagans"?

There's a difference between letting people know where you stand and purposefully derailling any discussion of the idea. Even when that discussion is about appropriating useful, non-woo ideas out of it.

I'm sorry, but this Aspergers trip about using the word "woo" instead of "occult" is ridiculous. And it doesn't even work:
occult = a large range of spiritual practices that often include supernatural beliefs

This thread WAS about filtering out the woo and examining the parts of occultism with value to people who find supernatural belief repugnant, such as myself. Now it's more a temper tantrum over semantics.

And then Cram and Telarus brought it back to life.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on February 17, 2012, 12:06:25 AM

And then at some point I aired my opinions about demystifying the useful elements of occultism by unoccluding them, which apparently is an "Aspergers trip" and a "kneejerk reaction". I am not at all sure you read my posts about it at all, although you do seem to be referring to them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Scribbly

Quote from: Nigel on February 16, 2012, 10:05:35 PM
Also, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I am going to start calling dogs "werewolves", deer "unicorns", and robins "fairies".

This genuinely made me laugh, which startled the werewolf outside my door.  :lulz:

They are surprisingly gentle creatures. Have you looked into the eyes of a werewolf? It is a life changing experience.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Quote from: Nigel on February 17, 2012, 12:11:20 AM

And then at some point I aired my opinions about demystifying the useful elements of occultism by unoccluding them, which apparently is an "Aspergers trip" and a "kneejerk reaction". I am not at all sure you read my posts about it at all, although you do seem to be referring to them.

I think you're conflating an idea you posted in another thread with Roger's distortion of that idea in order to shit on Cram and LHX.

minuspace

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 16, 2012, 08:38:23 PM
Okay, I think this thread's done.

Shall we actually start putting these conclusions into practice?

Perhaps some may have thought directly outing themselves on this board to be unwise?  Or is this the secret forum (Nigel had my ex's evil twin chore my decoder ring)? :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on February 17, 2012, 01:04:54 AM
Quote from: Nigel on February 17, 2012, 12:11:20 AM

I think you're conflating an idea you posted in another thread with Roger's distortion of that idea in order to shit on Cram and LHX.

You mean this post: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,11209.135/msg,1147838.html in this thread, yesterday?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on February 17, 2012, 12:48:24 AM
Quote from: Nigel on February 16, 2012, 10:05:35 PM
Also, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I am going to start calling dogs "werewolves", deer "unicorns", and robins "fairies".

This genuinely made me laugh, which startled the werewolf outside my door.  :lulz:

They are surprisingly gentle creatures. Have you looked into the eyes of a werewolf? It is a life changing experience.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on February 16, 2012, 04:43:45 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 16, 2012, 04:32:54 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on February 16, 2012, 04:24:26 PM
What's the point of using a system to mess about with your own head, maquyixe, nlp, meditation, hipnosis etc..?

it's a system. Most systems (even the crap ones) are better than no system

no system = "I'm depressed - need pills - no pills available - break out the razor blades"

system = "I'm depressed - let's see why - hmm couple of negative feedback loops stemming from this and that event / lower astral entity / wonky chakras - apply solution x - sorted!"

Doesn't matter how hokey your system is, Lo5 doesn't give a fuck but if you don't got a system then, I dunno, hope for the best I guess.

If it works, then there's value in demystifying it to make it more accessible to others.

Well, yeah but others don't generally seem to be interested. Mainly because of the mystification thing. It's a chicken and egg conundrum  :lulz:

A lot of these techniques are variations on tremendously popular and widely available (and completely nonmystical) cognitive behavioral therapy.

I just don't see much value in playing make-believe about the nature or even the esotericness (now there's a questionable word) of these practices. It seems terribly similar to bureaucrat-speak to me; making perfectly ordinary processes sound hopelessly complicated and specialized.

Telarus

No offense intended, Nigel, but your presumption that the western/scientific version of these processes are 'perfectly ordinary' and 'widely available' sounds like a 1st world techno-phile speaking.

Which method would you teach to a nomadic tribal hunter from Paupa New Guinea? To a stressed out business man from Nashville? To a grandmother from rural Nicaragua? To a suicidal factory worker from China? To a young Islamic Afghan kid who watched his family get blown to pieces? To a pseudo-zen dharma-bum surfer from Baja?

"Lie down on the couch...."

"Wha What does that mean?"

"FRONTIER PSYCHIATRIST!"
---------------------------------

Also,

Was my previous wall of text intimidating? Useful? Boring?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!