News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

While we're at it...

Started by LMNO, January 25, 2007, 01:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Here's a PDF that was created for the Machine,Ñ¢.

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/68444/mach-001-pdf.html

I'm gonna send it to syn for hosting, too.

Prof Cram, I'd like to get you (and everyone else's) opinion on this.

AFK

Umm, some help for the dumbass-impaired, me.  How do I download that file.  Do I need a login?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

Type in the numerical code and wait 30 seconds/

LMNO

Hmmm...

That fileshare site appears to be crap.

Please to be providing reliable filesharing site.

AFK

hehe, the scroll button is my friend.  I should have stayed in bed. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on January 25, 2007, 01:57:34 PM
Hmmm...

That fileshare site appears to be crap.

Please to be providing reliable filesharing site.

www.megaupload.com

LMNO

Triple Zero

wow i didn't know that one existed (or did you just make it?)

anyway, downloaded and will be printed and distributed soon!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

It was made a while back, I'm not sure why it never got distributed.

DJRubberducky

Reading through it, I think it's also guilty of a bit of "internal" chatter - talking about stuff that I wouldn't have understood if I'd not either spent time here or read the PD.

I really ought to try and figure out how to write "Jailbreaking for Dummies".

Step 1: Get it through your fucking head that rejecting everyone else's opinions does not constitute "thinking for yourself".  You're actually doing more to *limit* yourself than to *free* yourself, because now you're confining yourself to opinions you haven't heard anyone else express yet.  And what will you do when you *do* find someone who shares your opinion - change it yet again?
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

LMNO

DJ R is beginning to roll...

Roll on, baby!

Triple Zero

*visualizes an avalanche of plastic rubber duckies rolling down the mountain*
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

All in all, I'd say this is a really good pamphlet. A few of my comments about the BIP apply here - mainly the question of Audience and the need for some graphics to break up the text. The graphics are a tough issue though, because this pamphlet is already really dense. As is, I think a lot of the text is too small, and it would have to shrink further to make room for stuff. The font changes and the full page graphic on page 6 actually do a nice job of making the whole thing easier to read. So maybe it doesn't need graphics.

The goal of this pamphlet, to conceptualize The Machine, is a noble cause. I'm 100% behind you in hoping that people will snap out of it if we can only get them to realize that they're in it. Or that they ARE it. This is also something that can be done in a fairly small amount of space, so this pamphlet is brimming with potential.

This pamphlet is a lot more obviously directed at random people on the street. As such, some of the Discordian or obscure topics should be fleshed out or elaborated on.

A lot of the essays are clearly copy & pastes of board posts. I think that's okay because it gives the pamphlet a sort of conversational tone... if it were more formal, it might make some of points (particularly p5) too dense to grasp. Still, I think some of the posts should be edited so that they address the public instead of other board members.

Page 2

Pope Mangrove's text is quite good. In paragraph 2, the word Must is unclear - I think it should either be "should" or "is".

Paragraph 3 can use some overall cleanup: (relating to presentation, not content)

The line "When have governments NOT done the things that you isolated as being too specific?" is confusing - not sure what he's referring to there.

The second sentence runs on and should be broken into two or more sentences.

The word Maybe (in the last sentence) should be "may be".

The Little's Ubermensch's essay refers to the Aneristic principle and the Principia - could use a better explanation to make it accessible to the public.

Page 3

Vexaph0d's rant is real cool. I love the opening line where he expresses his fear that even arbitrary weird shit will one day be a part of the Machine, even if it isn't intended to sell Product. Yikes!

Paragraph 3 has the audience problem - the public doesn't know what the Aneristic vs Eristic shtick is.

The "crazy talk" paragraph is full of potential but I can't help feeling that it fizzles somewhat at the end. The talk about the Machine waking up is a really intriguing thought (which will be built upon later in the pamphlet), but Vex doesn't follow through... the paragraph ends by basically saying "if it happens, we're fucked but I don't know why." Luckily there's an immediate follow up which expands on his point.

The discussion below Vexaph0d's section (between LHX and 000) is thought provoking. I had a thought regarding this manner of discussion... (though not specifically related to this pamphlet) In other documents, this type of dialogue could be used to illustrate to the reader how to "think outside the box". Like for example, one person argues for liberal things, and the other argues for conservative things. If both arguments are essentially straw men, a sharp reader might realize that it's not a matter of choosing the best side. The real point we'd be making is that people should draw their own damn conclusions instead of just jumping behind the safest label. (end tangent)

Page 4-5

Both of these essays are very well written and make some excellent points. The top half of p4 is a really great crystallization of the BIP project, and it's a perfect setup for the point made at the bottom of the page: we're trapped in the machine, but if you keep your head up, you can avoid some of its snares.

p5: I have five boners for Douglas Hofstadter. I think he was a good choice to cite and the quote is very relevant.

At the bottom of the page, 000 references Discordian Chaos / OM, which will be lost on the public. There's probably a short phrase which could be plugged in to get the point across. perhaps "absurdity"? "pranks on the public"? Eh, I'm not sure.

Page 6-7

I love this spread. This is exactly the kind of humor that the pamphlet needed. I think the memo is an acceptable place to put in all those lunatic fringe references like Fnord and Subgenius. Anyone that's followed the pamphlet so far may be intrigued by these silly words... they allude to the larger conceptual framework which gave birth to this pamphlet.

The article "is the machine a conspiracy?" is the perfect follow up to the Illuminati memo.

The graphic at the bottom of 7 needs to be sharper - I can't read it.

Page 8

I LAWL'd at this page. Really well put together. I love that you get a little certificate for being enlightened by the pamphlet, but then the certificate says its worthless.

so that's my $0.02

LMNO

Good thinking, all around.

Actually, I forgot that somone put in that last page.  If you try to print the thing out & compile it, you'll have an odd number of pages.  When I distribute the thing, I usually leave that out.  I think I can use the "dense text" suggestion to add 2 more pages, and then we'll be in business.

Mangrove

i have text in the Machine pamphlet?

think my polystyrene nose is cutting circulation to my brain or something....lol...
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.