News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

What is this section about (n00bs read this!)

Started by Cain, January 25, 2007, 09:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix

I hope I don't offend anyone but I'm about half way through and I've found it to be pretty boring and lacking in substance.
ooooh, you touch my tralala...
mmmmm... my ding ding dong.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Quote from: Felix on May 17, 2011, 07:45:43 AM
I hope I don't offend anyone but I'm about half way through and I've found it to be pretty boring and lacking in substance.
It draws attention to the obedient slave mind mentality and general state of denial that 90% + of the shit flinging monkeys on this planet prefer to adopt as their paradigm. This boring lack of substance that you are so quick to grasp hold of, is no more than a symptom of the denial that's been pre-programmed into your primate brain, by generations of these shit flinging monkeys.
Too lazy to raise themselves up off their knees, they preferred to fall back upon the "If it was good enough for my quadrupedal mammalian prey animal ancestors, then it's good enough for me" view of the World. Are you no better than them?     
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

LMNO

The best thing to do in that case is to post something here that is not boring and is full of substance.

We're patient.  We can wait.

AFK

Yeah, schizophrenics have a hard time getting us. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Oddly enough, we feel the same about you.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 17, 2011, 03:56:08 PM

Oddly enough, we feel the same about you.

OH SNAP!  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

trix

I find the BIP stuff to be utterly brilliant, and in many respects even superior to the original PD, which I am an enormous fan of.  The PD was definitely more upbeat, this is true, but many people I have shown the PD to fail to see the texture beneath the silliness.  The BIP does not have that problem, and from my experience has been better received.

The link to the pamphlet in the OP is a dead 404 though, perhaps that should be fixed?  I am having trouble finding a copy of the BIP material in easy-to-print pamphlet format.

Also, it should have a credits section, whether or not it's part of the pamphlet itself.  Somewhere I can easily find out at-a-glance who wrote which parts.

Either way though, to everyone involved, WELL DONE!!!
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: trix on June 19, 2011, 10:59:37 PM
I find the BIP stuff to be utterly brilliant, and in many respects even superior to the original PD, which I am an enormous fan of.  The PD was definitely more upbeat, this is true, but many people I have shown the PD to fail to see the texture beneath the silliness.  The BIP does not have that problem, and from my experience has been better received.

The link to the pamphlet in the OP is a dead 404 though, perhaps that should be fixed?  I am having trouble finding a copy of the BIP material in easy-to-print pamphlet format.

Also, it should have a credits section, whether or not it's part of the pamphlet itself.  Somewhere I can easily find out at-a-glance who wrote which parts.

Either way though, to everyone involved, WELL DONE!!!

:sotw:

Faust

Quote from: Felix on May 16, 2011, 08:08:21 AM
Quote from: R.W.H.N. on January 25, 2007, 09:53:41 PM
Alright, I'm going to approach this from an organizational perspective and leave the philosophy to LMNO and LHX as they are much more adept at describing those things than I am.

The Black Iron Prison was/is an effort to revisit Discordia in written form.  The general consensus, if it can be called that, was that while the original Principia Discordia holds important messages and philosophies, we wondered if some of the humor and language might be dated and lost on a younger generation of Discordians.  Also, we are all egotistical blowhards who like to see our thoughts in print.   :-D

So, we discussed ideas, memes, philosophies, etc., then we all started writing.  The first result was The Black Iron Prison: Discordia Revisited.  Click here to download it and read it if you haven't already.  Plans were made while this first pamphlet was being put together to produce more pamphlets, we even had titles like "Lollercaust" which would have been a more "humorous" effort with more modern humor infused into the writings.  Of course, we all have lives, jobs, etc. so things did stall a bit.  And then came the pd.com crash...

...so during the downtime a new message board was created where we could continue to discuss more ideas, philosophies, memes, definitions, deconstructions, so on and so forth.  When pd.com came back up for good, and was under new management, the effort was moved back here.  (of course the Black Iron Prison Forum crash kind of turned that into a necessity).

And so that is where we are today.  That is the logistics of it.  Again, LMNO and LHX can fill in the philosophical details and other things I'm sure I missed.  Hope this is of some benefit.  I encourage n00bs, lurkers, etc. to download the pamphlet and read it.  Share it with their friends and family.  And then, join the fray!

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but your download is 404.
There is of course a link to an edition on this site via the front page, and BIP first page.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

anthonyony

Holy Crap, so happy I feel like that girl in the Bumble bee suit in the Blind Melon video.  My existential/philosophic search leads me to YOU dweebs, the ones the Machiavellian types make fun of....Damn its TIME TO DANCE!!!!!

The BIP is a wonderful intro for the unwary, and thanks to all involved for the brain candy!  It's a metaphor of imprisonment, intuitive to the Matrix generation, and it works as a mindsmasher.  The metaphor, however, is only one perspective in a complicated world.  Another view---It's not so much that we are in a prison of our own unintentional creation, but rather the Gods scattered millions of multi-function tools and no instruction manuals.  Everyone has been using trans-dimensional network gateway key cards as Bible bookmarks, using Pepsi bottles as potato smashers.  Monkey see, monkey do. (I'll work on that image--it might make a good comic) The biggest problem I have with using the prison viewpoint to convey the message is that it preys on our fears.  Now granted, that's an effective recruitment strategy for the Church (hell is such a FUN motivator!) but should it really be the cover story for a movement of free thinkers? 

rong

Welcome to peedee. Do you have reservations? You should.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: anthonyony on October 28, 2011, 10:18:27 PM
Holy Crap, so happy I feel like that girl in the Bumble bee suit in the Blind Melon video.  My existential/philosophic search leads me to YOU dweebs, the ones the Machiavellian types make fun of....Damn its TIME TO DANCE!!!!!

The BIP is a wonderful intro for the unwary, and thanks to all involved for the brain candy!  It's a metaphor of imprisonment, intuitive to the Matrix generation, and it works as a mindsmasher.  The metaphor, however, is only one perspective in a complicated world.  Another view---It's not so much that we are in a prison of our own unintentional creation, but rather the Gods scattered millions of multi-function tools and no instruction manuals.  Everyone has been using trans-dimensional network gateway key cards as Bible bookmarks, using Pepsi bottles as potato smashers.  Monkey see, monkey do. (I'll work on that image--it might make a good comic) The biggest problem I have with using the prison viewpoint to convey the message is that it preys on our fears.  Now granted, that's an effective recruitment strategy for the Church (hell is such a FUN motivator!) but should it really be the cover story for a movement of free thinkers? 

This one seems like it thinks.

I approve.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: anthonyony on October 28, 2011, 10:18:27 PM

No, we should pretend that everything is unicorn jizz and rose-tinted Thai rentboy nipples.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.