News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Flyers, leaflets and other assorted tomfoolery

Started by Cain, January 26, 2007, 01:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Agree with nigel. Good posters! less exclamation points. Less hyperbole.

Anti-Swiss poster
A government issued poster would never refer to something as "up to no good" or "evil" ("axis of evil" nonwithstanding). Use the same fnord-words that you'd see if it was in the paper or evening news. Instead of "Evils of Neutrality" maybe allude to a Sin of Omission.

riffing on the Good Samaritan law might be funny too. Like that these neutral countries are complicit in evil because they're not trying to stop it.

It's a funny poster - obviously a joke with the "swiss cheese punchline". If you were to create a more straightfaced version of this gag, I'd strip out the punchlines

Don't Be Afraid!
Like Nigel, this is my favorite of the two. It might strenghten it to draw a contrast between the "dangerous" terrorists and the "friendly" authorities.

Both posters could use some images. Official looking iconography is always a good bet to make a poster look official. Throw a letterhead on there, and/or an official town seal. I'm a fan of says-it to generate seals.

and many, many posters will stay up longer if you include this mystic glyph:

AUTHORIZED FOR PUBLIC POSTING, CODE 00523E.   
     OFFICE OF THE TILER

"Tiler", by the way, is a masonic title. If the cops are illuminati as well, this might send them directly to mindfucked.   :fnord:  :tinfoilhat:

Pariah

Probably the best choice for any official iconography
Also
this
http://www.dafont.com/dead-letter-office.fonthttp://www.dafont.com/dead-letter-office.font
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Dimocritus

@Nigel-Thanks!  :D

@Cramulus-Awesome advice! I appreciate it greatly! That say-it site is the mutha-fuckin'  :fap:!

I've redone both posters.

Swiss Terror.

Changed wording and added some images. I'm mainly going to be printing this is gray-scale, so hopefully the Swiss flag won't be so in-your-face.

Don't be Afraid!

I think this one cleaned up pretty well.

Now, I know that it may not mean much to you guys, but I have never been good with computers, but the encouragement I received has motivated me to attempt to teach myself these things (heck, I didn't even know what a "hyper-link" was until today :oops:), and I want to thank you for that. They may not be much, but they are my first creations and I am very proud right now  :D

In fact, this is the first thing to motivate me in a while. I couldn't sleep last night because I was thinking about this so much. And today I ditched class to come home and work on them. This is so addicting. I'm soooo going to make more.  :mrgreen:

Thanks again!
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Cramulus

Nice work, Dimo! These look much more eye grabbing, and the language is much sharper than in the first pass. These things usually take a few passes and a few pairs of eyes before they're kallisti gold.

minor: the swiss poster has a dangling second page, which is blank

It really is worth your time to figure out how these tech things work. The more I learn about computers, memetics, and design, the more fluidly my ideas seem to disperse through the aether. And with the internet getting so pervasive and ubiquitous (I mean it's on people's phones now for chissakes), it's only going to get more important to know how to use it effectively.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Vitamin Dimo on October 28, 2009, 07:43:00 PM
@Nigel-Thanks!  :D

@Cramulus-Awesome advice! I appreciate it greatly! That say-it site is the mutha-fuckin'  :fap:!

I've redone both posters.

Swiss Terror.

Changed wording and added some images. I'm mainly going to be printing this is gray-scale, so hopefully the Swiss flag won't be so in-your-face.

Don't be Afraid!

I think this one cleaned up pretty well.

Now, I know that it may not mean much to you guys, but I have never been good with computers, but the encouragement I received has motivated me to attempt to teach myself these things (heck, I didn't even know what a "hyper-link" was until today :oops:), and I want to thank you for that. They may not be much, but they are my first creations and I am very proud right now  :D

In fact, this is the first thing to motivate me in a while. I couldn't sleep last night because I was thinking about this so much. And today I ditched class to come home and work on them. This is so addicting. I'm soooo going to make more.  :mrgreen:

Thanks again!

I  think they look great! I'll definitely make use of them in my neighborhood.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dimocritus

Dimocritus

Some new stuff I've been working on...

Do the Right Thing!

I forgot to convert the pics to grey-scale, so you'd have to just print them that way to make them look right.

This next one I made specifically for slipping into copies of my campus newspaper.

Orange Alert Sale.

This next one was inspired by Toa's Chao series, which I enjoy due to it's simplicity. While I'm not really bringing anything new to the concept, I am trying to give it a little bit of my own spin and will eventually make some more.

You're Not Breaking the Law.

I was thinking about removing the "'till you get caught" bit.

As always, suggestions or advice are welcomed and appreciated.

the other anonymous

Quote from: dimo on November 05, 2009, 08:46:09 PM
This next one was inspired by Toa's Chao series

I'm always a bit weirded-out when someone refers to something as mine, especially when it was a group effort.

-toa,
doesn't actually do anything

the other anonymous

Cramulus

Dimo, those were awesome

big improvement over the first batch. I love 'em!

:mittens:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dimocritus

:thanks:

All those mittens mean a lot to me, especially coming from you guys!

ToA-I just wanted to make sure that people knew that that particular flyer was inspired by the Chao series and direct them to some great stuff. Tell your friends I really like them.

Cram/Nigel-I'm learning a lot from you guys and the experiences (both in spreading and creating these ideas), beyond computer skills. I've learned to slow the fuck down, there's no use in rushing around to try and "prove my worth" anymore for me. It'll be ready when it's ready. I spent a few days beating myself up trying to do certain things on the computer that were difficult for me and almost gave up entirely. But then, as soon as I stopped trying so hard, the "Do the Right Thing" idea came to me, almost as if a daemon came into possession of my mind. It's been a weird few weeks filled with crazy dreams and visions, and I am very happy to be able to contribute something to such an inspiring group of people. I'm going to continue to make more... When they're ready.

dimo-
Thinks he's finally starting to "get it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: dimo on November 06, 2009, 06:00:08 PM
I've learned to slow the fuck down, there's no use in rushing around to try and "prove my worth" anymore for me.

dimo-
Thinks he's finally starting to "get it."

This.  It's been noticeable.

But I still hate you.  Like this ---> :tgrr:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dimocritus

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.